Nom Nom Nom

Think it was Mixu asked about cooking gifts for Xmas....

I got two recipe books (Mamma Toscana and A Feast of Cooks, a collection of recipes from the Telegraph)

I also go a vaccum sealer which excites me, although not sure what to try with it tbh. And whether to buy a sous vide stick or attenpt to use my 35 litre boiler for this.

Lastly, a beer gun which is also very exciting to the brewing nerd.

52 minutes ago, Bairnardo said:

Think it was Mixu asked about cooking gifts for Xmas....

I got two recipe books (Mamma Toscana and A Feast of Cooks, a collection of recipes from the Telegraph)

I also go a vaccum sealer which excites me, although not sure what to try with it tbh. And whether to buy a sous vide stick or attenpt to use my 35 litre boiler for this.

Lastly, a beer gun which is also very exciting to the brewing nerd.

Sous vide is definitely top of my to buy list. We got the hairy bikers veggie cookbook and an air fryer, both of which were very surprising but on inspection very welcome.

Will also be getting a digital meat thermometer with a big cable as a late Christmas present to myself as trying to work out if a beef wellington was cooked properly without one was one of the most stressful parts of the day (perfect medium rare in the end)

Oh and technically a bday present but got it at Christmas as my gf came back from the states after 6 weeks on Tuesday. Her folks got me a Henkel knife block, easily the best knives I've used and about £80 in the black friday sale. Not used to things that sharp so fingers are covered in wee nicks

Edited by Genuine Hibs Fan

3 minutes ago, Genuine Hibs Fan said:

Sous vide is definitely top of my to buy list. We got the hairy bikers veggie cookbook and an air fryer, both of which were very surprising but on inspection very welcome.

Will also be getting a digital meat thermometer with a big cable as a late Christmas present to myself as trying to work out if a beef wellington was cooked properly without one was one of the most stressful parts of the day (perfect medium rare in the end)

Oh and technically a bday present but got it at Christmas as my gf came back from the states after 6 weeks on Tuesday. Her folks got me a Henkel knife block, easily the best knives I've used and about £80 in the black friday sale. Not used to things that sharp so fingers are covered in wee nicks

Well reminded. I also got a bluetooth inkbird thermometer for the barbecue, although obviously would do for the oven aswell in a scenario such as yours. 

3 minutes ago, Bairnardo said:

Are the sticks no use?

I've never seen anyone use the stick and if your boiler keeps a set temperature it will be just as good and save you a hundred quid.

How does the stick regulate the temperature? Does it heat the water and pump it back out? 

I've never seen anyone use the stick and if your boiler keeps a set temperature it will be just as good and save you a hundred quid.
How does the stick regulate the temperature? Does it heat the water and pump it back out? 
I haven't looked into them in much detail although I will have to now to make a decision. From what I have seen, they sit in the pot and pump water through them and heat it to keep the whole lot at your set temp.

1 minute ago, Bairnardo said:
2 minutes ago, 101 said:

I haven't looked into them in much detail although I will have to now to make a decision. From what I have seen, they sit in the pot and pump water through them and heat it to keep the whole lot at your set temp.

That's interesting just make sure you have a plug next to your hob, I would experiment with your boiler first and if you can't get the results you want go for the stick.

I'm not a huge sous veide fan due to the texture so probably not the best person to discuss this

I have the Anova sous vide stick, and it’s excellent tbh, I don’t use it anywhere near as much as I should. The app also has recipes and settings that you can just send straight to the stick, and it will just give you an alert when the time is up.

I also got the Meater thermometer from my sister, and can highly recommend that too. Watching the internal temperature of the turkey rising on your phone as you sit on your arse drinking is quite addictive tbh!

I have the Anova sous vide stick, and it’s excellent tbh, I don’t use it anywhere near as much as I should. The app also has recipes and settings that you can just send straight to the stick, and it will just give you an alert when the time is up.
I also got the Meater thermometer from my sister, and can highly recommend that too. Watching the internal temperature of the turkey rising on your phone as you sit on your arse drinking is quite addictive tbh!
Anova seem to get a good rep on this topic. Pricey though. Might try the boiler first couple of times but I do wish to invest if its good

Cranberry and apple stuffing with leftover turkey reheated in some leftover gravy, layered into sheets of filoux to make a pie. Served with cheese and chive mash. Heavy but glorious.

I'm now nearly finished my third box of Jacob's Treeselets since Christmas day. About a quid each in Aldi so will be restocking on these tomorrow.