Nom Nom Nom

Ordered the charcoal today for smoking the xmas turkey. Also bought a half side of salmon to smoke for a starter, which I shall cure in salt, sugar and juniper in the next 2 or 3 days. Probably smoke some garlic whilst that's smoking anyway and make smoked roasted garlic mayo to go along with some black pudding bon bons for the non fish eaters, of which there are too many.
Do you have a bought smoker or have you made one ? Don't have the room currently but while we were fishing commercially in Argyll we built a cracking smoker out an old bank safe. It was mega heavy (jcb lift into position) but had a great capacity. Hot and cold smoking chambers it was great. Smoked everything and anything became quite the obsession for a while.

42 minutes ago, Billy Jean King said:
On ‎17‎/‎12‎/‎2020 at 14:34, Bairnardo said:
Ordered the charcoal today for smoking the xmas turkey. Also bought a half side of salmon to smoke for a starter, which I shall cure in salt, sugar and juniper in the next 2 or 3 days. Probably smoke some garlic whilst that's smoking anyway and make smoked roasted garlic mayo to go along with some black pudding bon bons for the non fish eaters, of which there are too many.

Do you have a bought smoker or have you made one ? Don't have the room currently but while we were fishing commercially in Argyll we built a cracking smoker out an old bank safe. It was mega heavy (jcb lift into position) but had a great capacity. Hot and cold smoking chambers it was great. Smoked everything and anything became quite the obsession for a while.

I have a Pro Q water smoker. It was my lockdown savings gift to myself. And a cold smoke generator for cold smoking obviously.

I have a Pro Q water smoker. It was my lockdown savings gift to myself. And a cold smoke generator for cold smoking obviously.
Just had a look, it seems excellent. Our biggest issue was always controlling temperature in hot smoking, was very hit and miss especially as we were using our own sawdust which could be anything that was being used for firewood but trial and error gave great results plus a few disasters (octopus being the worst). Cold smoking was easier but time consuming.

2 hours ago, Granny Danger said:

Lunch today.  Lobster served with salmon mousse and lemon mayonnaise.  A nice Chablis to wash it down.

Salmon mousse was a bit firm, but otherwise very nice.

5E557306-6257-4B3A-884C-7E2080BC6E2F.thumb.jpeg.0477faa37cdb28c118cdcdf171478863.jpeg

Fresh dill fronds & that's a winner.

1 minute ago, MixuFruit said:

Anyone got any culinary presents lined up for christmas, or plans for anything in the coming year?

I think I'm going to get something from these guys next year. I'm also looking for a mandolin.

https://www.netherton-foundry.co.uk/iron-frying-pans

I'm getting some brewing gear to considerably up my game (hopefully), and she alluded to something for the kitchen the other day which hasn't yet been revealed to me. Possibly some books

1 minute ago, MixuFruit said:

Anyone got any culinary presents lined up for christmas, or plans for anything in the coming year?

I think I'm going to get something from these guys next year. I'm also looking for a mandolin.

https://www.netherton-foundry.co.uk/iron-frying-pans

There's some in the post above yours but somebody has sooked half the chocolate off them.

1 hour ago, Bairnardo said:

Carrying on the Chrostmas preparations.... Herws some lemon and smoked garlic mayonnaise, and some kept back and turned into Marie Rose

20201222_120852.jpeg

Thicc as Nicki Minaj's arse.