Nom Nom Nom

On 13/04/2020 at 13:17, Adam said:

Yes, apologies, should have mentioned this to you when you asked for the recipe.

FWIW I cheated with this one, it was shop bought from Aldi. I was painting the outdoor stairs yesterday so I didn’t want to have to make one from scratch. Initially went to get a beef rib joint my girlfriend had saw a couple of days previously, but at £28, I couldn’t justify spending that for dinner for just the two of us.

I DON'T KNOW WHAT TO BELIEVE ANYMORE!!!!

56 minutes ago, philpy said:

That’s a shocking article.  Uses both the terms ‘square sausage’ and ‘lorne’.  Obvious not a P&B user.

9 minutes ago, Shandon Par said:

Made some lovely sirloins, perfectly done with a bearnaise sauce, mash and green beans. Never took any pics but this veggie chilli pasta bake was v tasty:

6046FE6A-D7E5-4CF9-AC85-276460E4A95A.jpeg

That looks lovely. What did you use (aside from the tomatoes and cheese obviously!)?

6 minutes ago, DA Baracus said:

That looks lovely. What did you use (aside from the tomatoes and cheese obviously!)?

Can't get lentils just now (much nicer than fake mince for a veggie chilli) but that was just cumin seeds and chilli flakes fried with onion, yellow pepper and carrots, the in with some roasted courgette and tomatoes and some passata and kidney beans. Then in with some pasta and cheese and some sliced tomatoes on top. 

10 minutes ago, Shandon Par said:

Can't get lentils just now (much nicer than fake mince for a veggie chilli) but that was just cumin seeds and chilli flakes fried with onion, yellow pepper and carrots, the in with some roasted courgette and tomatoes and some passata and kidney beans. Then in with some pasta and cheese and some sliced tomatoes on top. 

Interesting. I have lentils at the moment so might give that a try.

turned out a whole load of black pudding about this time last year and - rather disappointingly - it was a bit shite; edible, but nothing like what I'd been hoping for

obviously, it was never on the cards to admit defeat to the missus and chuck it out, so i put the whole lot in the bottom of the freezer where it's stayed, undisturbed, until this last weekend when she was having a clear out and threatened to bin it all; keeping up the pretense, I had a bit for breakfast along with a couple of poached duck eggs and sausages, expecting to have to slather it with brown sauce and scoff it down almost whole so as not to have to chew it - but, it appears to have matured magnificently in storage and tasted fucking fantastic !

no idea how this works when stuff is supposedly frozen and in suspended animation, clearly there's a degree of maturation still goes on, as curry definitely improves with storage too; upside is I now have a huge repository of very fine black pudding to work through - excellent !

have any other P&B'ers hidden away something that was initially awful only to find that it had miraculously improved for the keeping at some point down the road ?

Edited by Herman Hessian

Random food questions: 

Has lockdown led to anyone finding something new to eat they’ve thought was amazing? 

Or, has anyone had a snack, meal, condiment etc, that they haven’t had in ages that you’ve  fallen in love with all over again?

I’m going with my second question due to a random rekindling with good old Branston Pickle. Been having it with whatever goes on my lunchtime sandwich nearly everyday. 

11 minutes ago, 8MileBU said:

Random food questions: 

Has lockdown led to anyone finding something new to eat they’ve thought was amazing? 

Or, has anyone had a snack, meal, condiment etc, that they haven’t had in ages that you’ve  fallen in love with all over again?

I’m going with my second question due to a random rekindling with good old Branston Pickle. Been having it with whatever goes on my lunchtime sandwich nearly everyday. 

Rice pudding with raspberry jam

1 hour ago, Shandon Par said:

Rice pudding with raspberry jam

OYF! Good shout! I’ve not had that in years! Used to love plopping a blob of jam in rice pudding or semolina (still sounds like a disease) too back when I were’t lad! 

27 minutes ago, Melanius Mullarkey said:

Sitting out the back in literally 50 degree heat here in Dundee and the wife announces she fancies a roast chicken with loads of roast veg for tea. 

Well let her crack on with it then, get a bowl of cornflakes down you and stop moaning ya c**t. 

6 minutes ago, 8MileBU said:

OYF! Good shout! I’ve not had that in years! Used to love plopping a blob of jam in rice pudding or semolina (still sounds like a disease) too back when I were’t lad! 

Had rice pudding and jam last week but now have a hankering for rice pudding with sugar sprinkled on top.

3 hours ago, 8MileBU said:

Random food questions: 

Got a delivery of fancy hot sauce (numbers 3, 4 and 5 from this series of Hot Ones, if you're familiar) just before this all kicked off, so have been putting those on everything. The scotch bonnet mustard one is fantastic, so lots of things that involve eggs and cheese and veggie sausage. 

Edited by carpetmonster