Nom Nom Nom

22 minutes ago, MixuFixit said:

Looks bloody good to me!

Nice crumb, what flour are you using?

That was made with Allinson strong white bread flour but my starter was probably more wholemeal strong flour than white so the result is a wee bit of a mixture.

I am just pleased to get some activity in the loaf out of the starter so I know its alive and from here on just need to get the timings down with feeding/using it. 

10 hours ago, Jumbo Muir said:

That looks lovely and needs to be dipped in good quality extra virgin olive oil with a good quality balsamic mixed in.
Coupled with an ice cold beer of your choice, it makes a great weekend lunch.

Lastnight it got turned into a bruschetta for me and Mrs Bs dinner. It was magic. 

Back to basic loafs, braiding looks pretty but it is a bit of a faff to slice. IMG_20190914_210848.thumb.jpeg.c7fd38a10fe242d53c3230c85fcc0483.jpeg
Need to bake another one soon but its a c**t for timing. The proves take so long that you are baking it late in the day. Might go for an overnight rise in the fridge effort next time so I can bake it early on.

11 minutes ago, MixuFixit said:

I usually do something like:

Feed starter AM Day 1, Make Dough PM Day 1, Bake Loaf AM Day 2.

Do you knock the air out after first prive and do it again or just rise it overnight then bake? 

As I said before I felt my one died a death after I knocked the air out and there didnt seem to be much of a rise second time. On the plus side my starter is becoming much more predictable and smells much more pleasant than before, if a little acetoney sometimes so maybe can expect better next time out. 

12 minutes ago, MixuFixit said:

The acetoney smell means something other than lactobacillus is the dominant bacteria, it doesn't necessarily mean the bread won't taste nice but it won't have the tang. Like you say it's only sometimes and usually coincides with low points in the feeding cycle. If I make a few loaves on the trot it seems to balance itself back out.

I don't bother with a 2nd prove, I just bake on the first rise - actually that's a bit of a lie. I take it out of the proving bowl with minimal deflation and then leave it in its pot on top of the oven as it warms up so it probably gets about 45 minutes or so sitting there before it gets baked, so it might do a wee 2nd prove but nothing major.

I have been lax with the feeding, its not in the fridge yet as I am getting a new fridge next week. I should be feeding it every day as it seems to be that when its well fed and really active it smells more yeasty/beery. 

Not arsed though as long as its alive. I might feed it today then make dough later and prove it overnight. See how we get on. Also going to try making a standard loaf with yeast, Brexit prep. 

4 minutes ago, Bairnardo said:

I have been lax with the feeding, its not in the fridge yet as I am getting a new fridge next week. I should be feeding it every day as it seems to be that when its well fed and really active it smells more yeasty/beery. 

Not arsed though as long as its alive. I might feed it today then make dough later and prove it overnight. See how we get on. Also going to try making a standard loaf with yeast, Brexit prep. 

Maybe you could take it for a walk later.