Nom Nom Nom

8 minutes ago, Bairnardo said:

YAAAAAAS!!! Another excuse to talk about my pizza oven!!!! 

Yes its me but I just bought a gas one. I wouldn't have been able to go for a brick built one at this stage but maybe in a few years. Home baked pizzas are night and day from any shop or takeaway I have ever had. More than happy to discuss further although I fear the good people of this thread might follow those at my work who are now just rolling their eyes as I watch my latest dough stretching video on youtube! 

I think we're going to visit this weekend so I'll see what progress has been made. Might pick your brains at some point. 😎

35 minutes ago, Bairnardo said:

YAAAAAAS!!! Another excuse to talk about my pizza oven!!!! 

Yes its me but I just bought a gas one. I wouldn't have been able to go for a brick built one at this stage but maybe in a few years. Home baked pizzas are night and day from any shop or takeaway I have ever had. More than happy to discuss further although I fear the good people of this thread might follow those at my work who are now just rolling their eyes as I watch my latest dough stretching video on youtube! 

Talk on brother it’s the fucking eating thread after all! Do you make your own base by the way?

1 minute ago, Rugster said:

Talk on brother it’s the fucking eating thread after all! Do you make your own base by the way?

I do. Make it all from scratch. The dough is an absolute breeze. Flour water salt and yeast. Ten mins in the food mixer and an hour or so to prove. In all honesty the only bit of skill required is stretching it out and no overcooking it. 

For the sake of variety I will be attempting to make naan bread in it once I get home. 

4 minutes ago, MixuFixit said:

Home made ravioli is great because you can make properly big ones with a decent amount of filling. The first few I make are more like hockey pucks but after that they're usually ok.

I havent did it for fucking ages, but I did the ones with the egg yolk in the middle. Mushroom and ricotta filling with an egg yolk, then butter, bacon and crispy sage on top. Got a semi just typing that tbh. They were immense. 

Just now, Deanburn Dave said:
1 hour ago, Bairnardo said:
I havent did it for fucking ages, but I did the ones with the egg yolk in the middle. Mushroom and ricotta filling with an egg yolk, then butter, bacon and crispy sage on top. Got a semi just typing that tbh. They were immense. 

Pics or GTF !!

Sorry m9 that was a few years ago no pics available

8 minutes ago, Deanburn Dave said:
1 hour ago, Bairnardo said:

Pics or GTF !!

1633980549_giphy(4).gif.deabc8e8134ea3add77e9beb6385b082.gif

Its not really. You just make a wee nest with the filling and slide the yolk into it, from then on you just have to be a bit gentle with it to get the top sheet of pasta on, then once its closed up make sure you use a spoon to lower it into the water, dont boil it too hard then use a spoon to lift it back out etc. If you are into making raviolis anyway give it a go, compared to how fucking good the results are its really not that difficult. The other thing is you can take your time with them as you would only need to make 1 or 2 per person as they are pretty filling, best used for a starter IMO.

A whole egg yolk? That's supposed to be properly hard to do!

I'm not at all diligent with it, but I manage to keep it limping on OK. Start with about a 50:50 mix of flour and water. Rye, wholemeal are better than white but I think anything will work. You want it to be something like wallpaper paste in consistency. You should have about 200g of starter. Leave it in an open container for a day somewhere. You can do it in the house or if you're feeling adventurous you could leave it somewhere outside in the hope of getting some interesting yeasts colonising your starter.

Check in on it in a day, if it looks flat and bubble free, leave it another day. If it's looking like it has some brownish liquid on top, that means some unwanted bacteria is out competing the yeast. Pour it off and add a spoonful of flour, leave it a day and check again. Once you get some bubbles, add some more flour till it's more of a thick porridge consistency. Close the lid on the container (I use a kilner jar, but Tupperware is fine) and leave it for a day. After a day if it's looking bubbly and is about double the starting volume, you're ready to make some bread!

In between loaves I leave it in the fridge, which slows it down. When I want to make another loaf I just take it out the fridge and feed it the night before, it should be ready to make a loaf by the morning.

Some folk add grated apple or crushed grapes to get it going initially but I've never bothered.

Cheers. I read sone stuff about it that makes it sound pretty laborious, taking days, throwing half away and replacing each day etc etc but your method sounds simpler and more like something I can be arsed with!

10 minutes ago, MixuFixit said:

Have fun, I don't make sourdough daily so if I was doing the very strict method I'd be spending more on flour to feed the starter than bread!

It's pretty resilient stuff to be honest, the only thing you can get stuck with is a culture where the yeast grows but the lactobacillus doesn't. You end up with bread that tastes nice but has none of that sourdough tang. I've tried various things to promote the lactobacillus that has been written like making a wetter starter, or making a levain before making the loaf itself but mostly it seems to be down to the flour. The yeast will fire through white flour relatively quickly but takes longer on brown or wholemeal, so if you give it a mix of both for a loaf, the lactobacillus gets more of the brown part while the yeast is busy on the white part and you get a nice tangy loaf.

Presumably then to maintain it you just add flour every so often for food and water if its looking too thick, and horse some in the bin if the jar is getting too full? Certainly sounds a bit more simple than I was led to believe. Will give a go in my time off and post results hopefully 

On 30/08/2019 at 21:29, MixuFixit said:

Try quails eggs to start with but just go easy on the cooking 3 mins max, so it's also important to get your pasta thin enough so it doesn't take an age to cook.

This was my first attempt a while back, pasta is a bit ropey but you get the desired effect. But this was a whole egg

Spoiler

received_1713610532242840.jpeg

Edited by Adam101

On 30/08/2019 at 21:29, MixuFixit said:

Try quails eggs to start with but just go easy on the cooking 3 mins max, so it's also important to get your pasta thin enough so it doesn't take an age to cook.

This was my first attempt a while back, pasta is a bit ropey but you get the desired effect. But this was a whole egg