Nom Nom Nom

On 14/05/2023 at 22:05, Bairnardo said:

Anyone has scran at the Ox and Finch? If so, would they recommend?

its been a little while since i was last there but it was always good tasty food

they also have Ka Pao on Vinnicombe street (off byres road) which is more south east Asian cuisine and Baba in Edinburgh serving Eastern med/Levantine which is one of my favourite places anywhere to eat, the slow cooked lamb shoulder with ptitim and rose harissa is sensational scran! anyway i digress yes Ox and Finch is good 

Cheers folks. 

I fear your efforts are in vain though... I am looking for somewhere to go on the 3rd and as its SC final day, I'll be avoiding Glasgow. Thinking of a splash out on Aizle in Edinburgh. It looks fucking magic. 

47 minutes ago, Bairnardo said:

Cheers folks. 

I fear your efforts are in vain though... I am looking for somewhere to go on the 3rd and as its SC final day, I'll be avoiding Glasgow. Thinking of a splash out on Aizle in Edinburgh. It looks fucking magic. 

Ox & Finch was always great when I lived in Glasgow, went back recently and it’s still decent but wasn’t as good as I remembered.

Definitely do Aizle, absolutely phenomenal every time I’ve been and has exceeded all the Michelin starred restaurants I’ve been to in Edinburgh. Best fine dining restaurant in the city for me.

1 minute ago, Honest_Man#1 said:

Ox & Finch was always great when I lived in Glasgow, went back recently and it’s still decent but wasn’t as good as I remembered.

Definitely do Aizle, absolutely phenomenal every time I’ve been and has exceeded all the Michelin starred restaurants I’ve been to in Edinburgh. Best fine dining restaurant in the city for me.

Glad to hear some first hand experience. Had a look at reviews etc but trip advisor as always full of abosulte shite.... The pictures pass the eye test for me though. 

The wife often vetoes higher end stuff because she thinks it will all be stuff she doesn't like, so on this occasion I'm simply not telling her where we're going. 

25 minutes ago, Bairnardo said:

Glad to hear some first hand experience. Had a look at reviews etc but trip advisor as always full of abosulte shite.... The pictures pass the eye test for me though. 

The wife often vetoes higher end stuff because she thinks it will all be stuff she doesn't like, so on this occasion I'm simply not telling her where we're going. 

Been a few times. It used to be unbelievable value at something like £75 a head, but think it’s now over £100. Still worth it but means I haven’t been in a while. You’ve made me want to get booked in again soon though…

1 minute ago, Honest_Man#1 said:

Been a few times. It used to be unbelievable value at something like £75 a head, but think it’s now over £100. Still worth it but means I haven’t been in a while. You’ve made me want to get booked in again soon though…

It's 105 now. I think for a top meal in Edinburgh I don't grudge that although it's well into the "treating myself" bracket. 

Paired wines are 75 notes a head. I'm not really arsed for those though. Anytime iv did it before I feel the wine gets rushed and actually, not that I'm complaining, sometimes is actually too much and takes away from the grub. 

52 minutes ago, Bairnardo said:

It's 105 now. I think for a top meal in Edinburgh I don't grudge that although it's well into the "treating myself" bracket. 

Paired wines are 75 notes a head. I'm not really arsed for those though. Anytime iv did it before I feel the wine gets rushed and actually, not that I'm complaining, sometimes is actually too much and takes away from the grub. 

Agreed on the wine pairings. I love the idea of trying different wines with each course, but every time I’ve done it I’d rather have had a good bottle of something that would’ve cost a third of the price of the pairing.

The only place I've felt the paired wine option was worth the cost has been Gavroche in London where they brought the wine before the food arrived have their spiel then I guzzled it down and got a top up half way through each course. Almost every where else brings the wine after the food and delays me from eating

7 minutes ago, Don Diego De la Vega said:

The only place I've felt the paired wine option was worth the cost has been Gavroche in London where they brought the wine before the food arrived have their spiel then I guzzled it down and got a top up half way through each course. Almost every where else brings the wine after the food and delays me from eating

I did it at Castle Terrace in Edinburgh & it definitely wasn’t worth it, think I only liked one wine from the five courses. 

2 hours ago, Don Diego De la Vega said:

Le Gavroche is fucking tremendous.

31 minutes ago, philpy said:

I've Just tanned 2 of the mghee's doner pies from asda. Never again. The pastry and meat were fine, but the chilli sauce was a bit on the hot side.

Should have put some grated cheese on top for the last 5 minutes cooking.

1 minute ago, mathematics said:

The wine pairing at Six by Nico has always been tremendous.

I didn't dislike any of them. I just felt they were rattled in at a bit of a pace and not being a particular wine buff, it wasn't needed. I was borderline steaming by the end of the meal. 

Just now, Bairnardo said:

I didn't dislike any of them. I just felt they were rattled in at a bit of a pace and not being a particular wine buff, it wasn't needed. I was borderline steaming by the end of the meal. 

I made sure Mrs Mathematics took the pairing too, as she doesn’t like red, so I got to double up.

2 hours ago, Mark Connolly said:

Le Gavroche is fucking tremendous.

By far my favourite dining experience, ridiculous level of service and food also the greatest cheese trolley in the history of cheese trollies! my missus doesn't like cheese so they rolled out the sorbet trolley, a fuckin sorbet trolley!

Amazing