Nom Nom Nom

3 minutes ago, Granny Danger said:

Seen various online recipes for guacamole which vary significantly.  Anyone got one they’ve tried (preferably a simple option)?

2 x ripe avocados

1/2 small red onion very finely chopped

1/2 chilli very finely chopped

lime juice & salt & pepper to taste.

I prefer to keep the avocado rustic so I don’t mash it, just roughly chop it before mixing. 

2 x ripe avocados
I prefer to keep the avocado rustic so I don’t mash it, just roughly chop it before mixing. 
Forgot the onion. I tend to use spring onion rather than red onion. Probably optional in either case though, as is chilli which is nice in it too

2 minutes ago, Bairnardo said:

Avocado, chopped tomato (seeds removed), garlic, lime juice, salt, pepper.

Simple is better. Don't blend it, use your (clean) hands to mash the Avocado up through your fingers.

Less than half a clove of garlic. Maybe less than a quarter. Just enough as give it the merest hint or else it will be overpowering.

2 minutes ago, Brother Blades said:

2 x ripe avocados

Thanks.  Will try both options when I can.

3 minutes ago, Bairnardo said:

Avocado, chopped tomato (seeds removed), garlic, lime juice, salt, pepper.

Simple is better. Don't blend it, use your (clean) hands to mash the Avocado up through your fingers.

Less than half a clove of garlic. Maybe less than a quarter. Just enough as give it the merest hint or else it will be overpowering.

A smidgen?

1 minute ago, Bairnardo said:
3 minutes ago, Brother Blades said:
2 x ripe avocados

Forgot the onion. I tend to use spring onion rather than red onion. Probably optional in either case though, as is chilli which is nice in it too

I always use this recipe after being in a Mexican restaurant/ bar that they came to your table & made it fresh for you. Found the same as you that garlic can overpower it & haven’t used it since trying the above. 

Top tip: 

When purchasing a Tesco meal deal, select chunky chips and set aside. 

Will provide you with three of the best chip butties you have ever tasted. 

Further top tip:

Use an air frier. No oil required. 

Therefore healthy as f**k. 

39 minutes ago, broon-loon said:

Home made BIR curry cooked from base gravy.

Pathia and Korma. 

Korma is pretty good, but the Pathia is the star.

Mushroom rice to accompany.

IMG_20220614_190357_resized_20220614_070503470.jpg

Who's recipe you using? I use Dan Toombs for BIR stuff its fucking magic. 

2 hours ago, Bairnardo said:

Who's recipe you using? I use Dan Toombs for BIR stuff its fucking magic. 

'Mixed bag' as they say.

Been trying to do this kinda stuff for over 30 years (on and off)...

Started by joining the curry club (Pat Chapman), bought his books and took it from there.

Dabbled at various recipes over the years, going back over the books and looking on-line. Overall the results were good, but still found them lacking 'the taste'..

Anyway, to cut a long story short I bought yet another book last year and it rekindled the interest, found a forum on-line I was a member of way back which listed lots of recipes and techniques and started trying yet again

Al's Kitchen on You Tube has some decent stuff. I haven't used his base sauce but the Pathia I cooked tonight is basically his recipe. The Korma was kinda based on a recipe on the forum (which is still there) but looks as though nobody is contributing to these days..

Dan Toombs (TheCurry Guy), I have dabbled with some of his stuff at some point, but yeah maybe I should go back and have a look. Thanks for the reminder.

Edited by broon-loon
typo

5 minutes ago, broon-loon said:

'Mixed bag' as they say.

Been trying to do this kinda stuff for over 30 years (on and off)...

Started by joining the curry club (Pat Chapman), bought his books and took it from there.

Dabbled at various recipes over the years, going back over the books and looking on-line. Overall the results were good, but still found them lacking 'the taste'..

Anyway, to cut a long story short I bought yet another book last year and it rekindled the interest, found a forum on-line I was a member of way back which listed lots of recipes and techniques and started trying yet again

Al's Kitchen on You Tube has some decent stuff. I haven't used his base sauce but the Pathia I cooked tonight is basically his recipe. The Korma was kinda based on a recipe on the forum (which is still there) but looks as though nobody is contributing to these days..

Dan Toombs (TheCurry Guy), I have dabbled with some of his stuff at some point, but yeah maybe I should go back and have a look. Thanks for the reminder.

Misty Ricardo worth a look aswell. Some folk on another forum I use swear by his recipes. Has a decent youtube channel and done some cllaboration stuff with The Curry Guy too. 

6 minutes ago, Bairnardo said:

Misty Ricardo worth a look aswell. Some folk on another forum I use swear by his recipes. Has a decent youtube channel and done some cllaboration stuff with The Curry Guy too. 

Yeah, Misty Ricardo, that's the book I bought last year which rekindled the interest. https://www.amazon.co.uk/INDIAN-RESTAURANT-CURRY-AT-HOME/dp/1999660803/ref=asc_df_1999660803/?tag=googshopuk-21&linkCode=df0&hvadid=372081320373&hvpos=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=8526543278814075225&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=1007333&hvtargid=pla-805578167269&psc=1&th=1&psc=1&tag=&ref=&adgrpid=76444332637&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvadid=372081320373&hvpos=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=8526543278814075225&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=1007333&hvtargid=pla-805578167269

Using an aluminium pan for sure improves the flavour and lifts the curry. Check it out on Al's you tube page. 

Two slices of Marks and Spencers thick cut white bread - toasted then soaked in Country Life butter. Topped each with a slice of steak Lorne, a fried duck egg and then ah push'd it before a light drizzle of tomato sauce.

Washed down with a glass mug of Earl Grey.

A wonderful way to set up your day.

Need some opinions folks on beef olives! I bought some yesterday in a nice butcher in Stonehaven (Charles McHardy on Market Square). Cooked them tonight in the oven but we were surprised to find the filling was oatmeal. I’m all my 52 years, I’ve always had sausage meat stuffing in my beef olives. 

Is oatmeal stuffed beef olives a North Eastern thing or is sausage meat a weird Stirlingshire thing? I have to say the ones tonight weren’t very nice despite looking great on the plate.