Nom Nom Nom

28 minutes ago, MONKMAN said:

Had my wedding reception in Kitchin 2 weeks ago, just before all the news broke.  We were in the private dining room, where didn’t give a f**k about restrictions, table numbers, masks etc I applaud them for that and the food was excellent. The fucker Tom even came in for a chat and gave monkwoman flowers. Saying that, I probably won’t be back as I think he’s a c**t (even more so over the last year) ,and we’d already paid a significant deposit for the meal a year ago. 
With the glass wall in Kitchin and being able to see in the kitchen, it always looks like absolute chaos so it’s no surprise really to hear these things being said, I’d imagine it’s very common in the industry. 

Down in London last week, where we went to Alan Ducasse at the Dorchester and Gordon Ramsay - Royal Hospital road. Food at Ducasse was superb and I thought it would be tough to beat, but the following night Ramsay’s blew it out the water. One course from Ducasse would probably sneak on to the menu at Royal hospital road. The standard of cooking and service in these places is just ridiculous.  

Congratulations. Sounds like it was a great experience. To get to that level of cooking and presentation standards obviously have to be high. I guess the question is whether that can be done without some of the alleged behaviour and that which we have all seen in documentaries.

I listened to a Desert Island Discs podcast last week featuring Antonio Carlucci. He is old school but was talking about the joy of cooking and providing for guests. He spoke about how kitchens have sadly become scenes of almost slavery. Obviously hyperbole but the point is correct. Some of these chefs and kitchen porters must just be head down and grind your teeth all the way through each shift. This then becomes the industry standard unless it gets broken by those who really cook from the heart.

Probably one for old man Danger.
Fillet at Balgove Larder St Andrews is fantastic, however a tad steep at £49 per kilo.
However If you get the saddle cuts which only can generate smaller steaks (still as thick as you want), the price drops to that of Sirloin at £29 per kilo.
The Burgers at only £1.20 each are exquisite for all peasants.

The dressed crab from Crail Harbour also to be recommended highly, albeit you need to be there in the morning.

20 hours ago, Adam said:

IMG_1626027248.613827.jpg

IMG_1626027272.115961.jpg

Went for an Italian tonight. Lasagne, Mac and Cheese and loads of extras. Forza Azzuri emoji634.pngemoji634.png

That's enough food for a family of 6.

Scoop of the mac&cheese + salad would do me.

That's enough food for a family of 6.
Scoop of the mac&cheese + salad would do me.

There were 5 of us, but the kids prefer to eat their dinner on their own so they can melt their brains on YouTube.

18 hours ago, Adam said:

There were 5 of us, but the kids prefer to eat their dinner on their own so they can melt their brains on YouTube.

The ruination of a family that. Get them to sit with you at least one meal a day...especially if you're offering that kind of snap.

Two thoughts from this evenings food....

Cauliflower "rice" is absolutely stinking

Much as I enjoy tuna mayo, how the f**k has it come to pass that something as good as a tuna gets, for the most part, turned into what most people think tuna is (grey, overcooked tinned stuff)

2 hours ago, Honest_Man#1 said:

Isle of Eriska for dinner tonight. Postponed a couple of times because of Covid, finally got here so hoping it’s as good as expected.

Is it any good out there? Need to find somewhere for a night or 2 away, sounds interesting. 

5 hours ago, Bairnardo said:

Two thoughts from this evenings food....

Cauliflower "rice" is absolutely stinking

Much as I enjoy tuna mayo, how the f**k has it come to pass that something as good as a tuna gets, for the most part, turned into what most people think tuna is (grey, overcooked tinned stuff)

Cauliflower rice is indeed honking.

Tuna steaks were probably difficult to bring in fresh and they can be ruined if cooked wrongly although that can be said of all fish.

3 hours ago, Bairnardo said:

Is it any good out there? Need to find somewhere for a night or 2 away, sounds interesting. 

Food was obviously very good, but it’s definitely the least impressive of the Michelin star places I’ve eaten. Ticked off the list but unsure if I’d recommend it. We got it on a winter rate for bed, breakfast and 3 course dinner for a good price, which luckily they were fine to move to summer time due to Covid cancellations, but if paying full price I’d probably be a tad disappointed.

3 hours ago, Bairnardo said:

Have you been to Claire McDonald's restaurant/ hotel on Skye. Great for a night or 2 away.

8 minutes ago, Honest_Man#1 said:

Food was obviously very good, but it’s definitely the least impressive of the Michelin star places I’ve eaten. Ticked off the list but unsure if I’d recommend it. We got it on a winter rate for bed, breakfast and 3 course dinner for a good price, which luckily they were fine to move to summer time due to Covid cancellations, but if paying full price I’d probably be a tad disappointed.

Alas its all booked out for the dates im looking at anyway, which now that I think about it, in the height of covid summer, is a bit short notice in 3 or 4 weeks time.  

1 minute ago, 101 said:

Have you been to Claire McDonald's restaurant/ hotel on Skye. Great for a night or 2 away.

Will have a swatch at that 

1 minute ago, Bairnardo said:

Alas its all booked out for the dates im looking at anyway, which now that I think about it, in the height of covid summer, is a bit short notice in 3 or 4 weeks time.  

Will have a swatch at that 

Kinloch Lodge (where I went after getting engaged) as recommended by 101 is better than Isle of Eriska IMO. If they’ve got space would highly recommend it.

8 hours ago, Honest_Man#1 said:

Kinloch Lodge (where I went after getting engaged) as recommended by 101 is better than Isle of Eriska IMO. If they’ve got space would highly recommend it.

Fantastic food, however the head chef who was the Michelin winner has left recently. Not sure how it is nowadays. 

Just now, Rugster said:

Fantastic food, however the head chef who was the Michelin winner has left recently. Not sure how it is nowadays. 

Ah, wasn’t aware of that. We went in January 2019 and it was phenomenal, but it was still Tully at that point. They didn’t have a star then though even with him, think they lost it a few years ago.