Nom Nom Nom

19 hours ago, Aufc said:

Was absolutely tremendous. Also did some chicken tikka, pork and apple sausages and lamb steaks plus all the other shite that goes with it. Ten out of ten. Would bang again

Where do you get the  black garlic sauce?  Our butcher does it on steaks occasionally but does not sell it commercially.

3 hours ago, bernardblack said:

Finally getting round to reading Kitchen Confidential by Anthony Bourdain.

Was an eye opener. Read it when I was a culinary college.

Due to severe illness i don't take get to eat but every few days i can have something (if I'm willing to suffer). So when i do eat, i like to plan it out and really savour it.

Today we had fillet steak for lunch, and it was really good.

But i burned the butter and that definitely didn't go to plan. I've been checking all the YouTube clips and none of them said turn the heat down before adding butter but the high heat that i used to sear the steak definitely fucked the butter.

Does anyone else turn the heat down at this stage? Is my pan too hot in the first place? (surely not, as they all say you want it smoking)

4 minutes ago, pandarilla said:

Due to severe illness i don't take get to eat but every few days i can have something (if I'm willing to suffer). So when i do eat, i like to plan it out and really savour it.

But i burned the butter and that definitely didn't go to plan. I've been checking all the YouTube clips and none of them said turn the heat down before adding butter but the high heat that i used to sear the steak definitely fucked the butter.

Does anyone else turn the heat down at this stage? Is my pan too hot in the first place? (surely not, as they all say you want it smoking)

No idea if what I do is right but I have it on a high heat for about 30 seconds to a minute on each side and then turn it down to medium heat. I’d then add the butter once the pan has cooled down a bit.

No idea if what I do is right but I have it on a high heat for about 30 seconds to a minute on each side and then turn it down to medium heat. I’d then add the butter once the pan has cooled down a bit.
Do you get it rare /medium-rare and no burned butter?

That's what I'm looking for.

9 minutes ago, pandarilla said:

Do you get it rare /medium-rare and no burned butter?

That's what I'm looking for.

Well, the mrs is one of those weirdos who has it well done so I aim for medium on my one.

Depending on the thickness of the steak though, I’d imagine another 2-3 minutes on each side, maybe less, would do the job. I flip it over every minute too.

Edit - oh and no butter burning. I make a bit of garlic butter which is excellent.

Edited by PB1994

2 hours ago, pandarilla said:

Add oil on top of the knob of butter. Stops it burning.

Also burned butter can be quite nice. If you squeeze in lemon juice just as it catches you have beurre noisette. Add capers & put it on some white fish.

Really nice.

Add oil on top of the knob of butter. Stops it burning.
Also burned butter can be quite nice. If you squeeze in lemon juice just as it catches you have beurre noisette. Add capers & put it on some white fish.
Really nice.
I put some oil in the pan just before putting the steak in - and had ruined the steak in oil (and a shit-load of salt and pepper obviously).

I think i just need to turn the heat down a bit when I'm searing the steak and then add the butter - but I'll give the lemon juice a try the next time if it starts to turn.

I put some oil in the pan just before putting the steak in - and had ruined the steak in oil (and a shit-load of salt and pepper obviously).

I think i just need to turn the heat down a bit when I'm searing the steak and then add the butter - but I'll give the lemon juice a try the next time if it starts to turn.
Sometimes the butter can get scorched if you add it right on top of the burner. Try lifting the pan off the heat, add the butter then once it has melted and blended with the oil, back on the heat. Talking probably less than 30 seconds which should be fine because you should have properly seared both sides before adding the butter id say.

Enough oil has to be there too to take the heat. If there wasn't enough, the butter will go past its smoke point.

Thing is, to cook steaks in this way, a sort of restaurant style I suppose, you really have to let go of your inhibitions re whats unhealthy. For a good illustration of this, watch anything cooked by James Martin.

11 hours ago, pandarilla said:

Shouldn't really add butter nor oil into the pan when doing steak.

Get a griddle type pan or heavy bottom non-stick. Oil the meat itself & season after getting it to room temp (if it's from the fridge).

Get the pan screaming hot & sear.

0c452f6f955ef4a915a01b5fd21c5f32.jpg

(The well done bit should show a bin IMO)

Guest bernardblack
12 hours ago, pandarilla said:

I’ve read quite a few articles regarding about putting the butter (and herbs) on your resting board, as the steak rests its soaks it up like a sponge. 
Could be nonsense right enough, but intriguing 

Shouldn't really add butter nor oil into the pan when doing steak.
Get a griddle type pan or heavy bottom non-stick. Oil the meat itself & season after getting it to room temp (if it's from the fridge).
Get the pan screaming hot & sear.
0c452f6f955ef4a915a01b5fd21c5f32.jpg&key=d53bedd928373a14992035b0ec471edfbdd454ab66ba7566c05f55cce415d72d
(The well done bit should show a bin IMO)
Quite a few of the online chefs add oil to they pan just before putting the meat in (as well as oiling the meat itself).

But i think the above poster's tip of them taking it off the heat to add the butter near the end will be the way i go.

Heston Blumenthal’s advice is to use groundnut oil in the pan and salt the steak beforehand. No pepper as it will burn. That’s the method I use and they turn out well every time. 

Steakhouse I worked at whilst I was at college used to just have a couple of discs of beurre maître d'Hôtel before serving.
I was once at a well known steak place in America with my mates, one of them asked the waiter what sauce he would recommend. The waiter basically told him he wasn't allowed to order a sauce because the steak he had ordered was plenty good enough without one.

Wind yer neck in wee man, nae sauce for you.

2 hours ago, Bairnardo said:

I was once at a well known steak place in America with my mates, one of them asked the waiter what sauce he would recommend. The waiter basically told him he wasn't allowed to order a sauce because the steak he had ordered was plenty good enough without one.

Wind yer neck in wee man, nae sauce for you.

I’d probably pay for whatever I’d had as a starter and walk out in that scenario. I’m the customer here and don’t give a f**k what your opinion of the meat is, if I want a sauce with it then I’ll have one.