Nom Nom Nom

I used to work with 2 Italian guys at my last work. When either the works canteen or the digs had "Italian" food on I used to seek them out specifically to see their reactions. They were invariably absolutely seething. Especially at the start when they hadnt quite cottoned on and were genuinely expecting a taste of home [emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]

Serious guys when it came to food.

I was climbing in the alps a couple of years back. Staying in one of the mountain huts (hut is pushing it a bit, it was like a modern space age hotel that’s hanging off the side of a mountain) on Mont Blanc, spaghetti carbonara was on the menu which I ordered. When the food was served to my table, one of the Italian mountaineering guides turned to me being deadly serious and said, “don’t eat pasta made by French people” before turning round again and continuing to drink his beer.

16 hours ago, Rugster said:

Homemade or a mix? What do you use? I've been looking for the ultimate chippy curry sauce for donks.

Mix in a bowl;

2 tsp of cornflour

1/2 tsp of 5 spice

1/4 tsp ground ginger

Melt a knob of butter with some diced garlic and add the cornflour mix,  stirring for a minute or two.  

Using 300ml of vegetable stock (from a pot or cube is fine), gradually add the stock 50ml at a time to the mix.

Finally add in a couple of tsp of soy sauce and I like to add a splash of sriracha. Might need to thicken a bit depending on how you like it. 

13 hours ago, Craig the Hunter said:

I've got a ramen broth on the go for tomorrow night. Soy sauce, chicken stock, chili, ginger, garlic and lemongrass. Been simmering for a few hours and got it cooling down before it goes in the fridge overnight. Got a bit of pork fillet to have with it along with some broccoli, carrot and an egg. It's fantastic already, can't wait to see what it tastes like tomorrow.

I love Ramen - pictures please when you have time.

Apologies for no pics but I bought a "big daddy" 16oz rump steak in Aldi today. Marinated it all afternoon in herbs, rape seed oil and garlic the griddled it for 5 mins followed by 5 more in a hot oven. Sliced it thin (blood still oozing) and had it with a whiskey, haggis and cream sauce with potatoe wedges and kale from the garden. It was absolutely top notch and the one £4.29 steak fed the 3 or us royally with a nice S African malbec. Aldi and Lidl really are remarkable at times. I still don't get the snobbery that surrounds them from some quarters.

ETA...reading that back adding there is no snobbery I have noticed against them on here. I mean in general not by any posters I have noticed in this thread.

21 hours ago, Craig the Hunter said:

As requested, here's the finished Ramen. A rip roaring success. Im gonna add some miso to the broth next time for a touch more umami, but other than that it was pretty perfect. 

20210220_180854.jpg

IMG-20210220-WA0001.jpg

That's a top drawer boiled egg, a much under-rated skill... 

2 hours ago, bernardblack said:

Pulled pork Mac and cheese on the go today. 

Please don't.

44 minutes ago, Angusfifer said:

That's a top drawer boiled egg, a much under-rated skill... 

It looks great, but now you've brought it up, the egg is a bit over done. It might not be traditional but I prefer to get an egg in sesame oil and add it then.

4 minutes ago, Sergeant Wilson said:

Please don't.

It looks great, but now you've brought it up, the egg is a bit over done. It might not be traditional but I prefer to get an egg in sesame oil and add it then.

Maybe a 5 min 45 secs from cold when it merited 5 min 30 secs. I'd put it down as a decent effort

Pulled pork Mac and cheese on the go today. 
You may or may not be interested, but in my pursuit of the perfect pulled pork I have settled in pork shoulder done in apple juice in the slow cooker for at least 6 hours, then juice reduced down till it thickens and a wee drop bbq sauce added, then poured back over the pulled pork, which by then can be dealt with using wooden spoon