Nom Nom Nom

I'm fucking raging, and looking for advice.

I got a cast iron skillet for Christmas, and looked carefully on the net for details of how to use it.

I followed the advice that new skillets come pre-seasoned, and so i should lightly oil the pan and cook some easy starters like fried eggs.

Fucking disaster. They completely stuck to the pan, and couldn't be turned without bursting them. I had a chewin the fat moment and 2 half fried eggs ended up all over the cooker. Old faithful frying pan out and started again, mainly because i love my wife and child, and they were waiting patiently for high calibre fried egg rolls.

Then i had to clean the fucking new pan. Total nightmare, but after scrubbing with salt i finally got it clean.

So I've now baked the skillet in a ridiculously hot oven, with a very thin coating of oil.

What next? I fear that if i use it again and it fucks up I'll throw it out the window.

I'm fucking raging, and looking for advice.

I got a cast iron skillet for Christmas, and looked carefully on the net for details of how to use it.

I followed the advice that new skillets come pre-seasoned, and so i should lightly oil the pan and cook some easy starters like fried eggs.

Fucking disaster. They completely stuck to the pan, and couldn't be turned without bursting them. I had a chewin the fat moment and 2 half fried eggs ended up all over the cooker. Old faithful frying pan out and started again, mainly because i love my wife and child, and they were waiting patiently for high calibre fried egg rolls.

Then i had to clean the fucking new pan. Total nightmare, but after scrubbing with salt i finally got it clean.

So I've now baked the skillet in a ridiculously hot oven, with a very thin coating of oil.

What next? I fear that if i use it again and it fucks up I'll throw it out the window.
I dont use cast iron often, but basically dont use it unless I am going to be using the hottest heat possible like for steaks, or to slow cook something that wont stick ie with liquid present.

A fried egg in a cast iron pan sounds a bit pointless to me.

I think you just keep doing this over and over till you get that sheen on it. It's a bit like applying a finish to wood, you can't really over-do it.
ETA: glad to hear you're out and getting to have the odd thing to eat btw [emoji4]
Cheers man.

I had a bite of both of their rolls - and that's me for the day. If i put a couple of really strict days together then I can have a very small portion of something.

In terms of the skillet - should i keep seasoning it before using it then? At what point do i know i can use it? And what should I cook? Steaks?

IMG_20210108_141956034.thumb.jpg.69e1022c3dc6736cd633b8ea2a97c97c.jpg

IMG_20210108_143522490.thumb.jpg.25db90b339ea3c61947816001dc14cea.jpg

Nigerian for lunch.

Jollofe rice with what they call "stew", basically a juicy tomato sauce with onions and peppers. The on the right mackerel, beef, chicken gizzards, cow tongue, more beef and then "ponmo" aka cow skin. Plus a naija style glass bottle of Fanta full of sugar and no aspartame in sight!

Tbh I get a fair kick from walking into the Nigerian cafe in Peckham and ordering in (what I think is) perfect Yoruba and Igbo.

2 hours ago, Honest Saints Fan said:

This arrived today. Now got to wait for the fish van to get back on his rounds!

20210108_132214.jpg

I have never had anything the there before but every time I am in Ullapool it is always queued out onto the street and the food looks excellent.

10 minutes ago, spud131 said:

Anyone know what butchers use that make their steak pie taste different from just stew with pastry? Is it just the fact they prob use proper stock as opposed to a couple of stock cubes?

Roasting the bones before making a stock is a trick they use.

2 hours ago, Margaret Thatcher said:

NigerianNigerian for lunch.

Jollofe rice with what they call "stew", basically a juicy tomato sauce with onions and peppers. The on the right mackerel, beef, chicken gizzards, cow tongue, more beef and then "ponmo" aka cow skin. Plus a naija style glass bottle of Fanta full of sugar and no aspartame in sight!

Tbh I get a fair kick from walking into the Nigerian cafe in Peckham and ordering in (what I think is) perfect Yoruba and Igbo.

It looks like you've been raking the bins.

Edited by Sergeant Wilson

2 hours ago, Margaret Thatcher said:

Nigerian for lunch.

And they wonder why the covid rate is so high in London.

52 minutes ago, spud131 said:

Anyone know what butchers use that make their steak pie taste different from just stew with pastry? Is it just the fact they prob use proper stock as opposed to a couple of stock cubes?

A mix of stewing steak and rump, and a good stock. 

25 minutes ago, Sergeant Wilson said:

It looks like you've been raking the bins.

😂😂

11 minutes ago, supermik said:

And they wonder why the covid rate is so high in London.

To be fair I wasn't in the cafe today, this was a delivery. Although maybe you're referring to the food...

No bats available in Peckham I am afraid but they do have living giant snails on the shopfront next to the tatties etc.

3 hours ago, Margaret Thatcher said:

Nigerian for lunch.

Can totally imagine you like Del Boy speaking 'French'.

On 26/12/2020 at 20:40, Mark Connolly said:

Recommend Fat Cow and Minger, which I'm pretty sure are from the same dairy

Got a hold of some minger today (and the cheese hahahahaha). Shall report back on my thoughts.