Nom Nom Nom

On 16/10/2020 at 13:46, Bairnardo said:

I have two questions for the P&B cooking aficionados.

Firstly, has anyone fucked about with sous vide?

Secondly, I need inspiration for something to make next week, when I will have a full day to work at it. Something complicated and good.

Sous vide are excellent but only messed about with it at my old work, I thing it's a bit expensive to justify one in the home unless you have loads of space and quite a bit of coin.

For something to make, how about Chinese dumplings probably a good few hours making the dough and filling

On 16/10/2020 at 13:46, Bairnardo said:

Secondly, I need inspiration for something to make next week, when I will have a full day to work at it. Something complicated and good.

I always think sous vide is good for consistency, so understand why restaurant chefs use it, but feel it struggles to impart flavour, so personally a machine would be one of the last things I’d buy for my own kitchen.

I bought a cheap sous vide wand for about £15 off ebay a couple of years ago, I didn't have one of the vaccum dealers so tried the 'lowering the bag slowly into the hot water' method which is meant to expel all the air but it never appeared to do that good a job and I found the meat sometimes had a slightly funny smell after sous videing it (possibly to due still having air in the bag with the meat).
I'm often tempted to pick up one of the cheap vaccum sealers from amazon as it would get used for putting stuff in the freezer but another kitchen gadget is the last thing I need.

18 hours ago, quickoverayard said:

Anyone got any good Mexican recipes for steak??

Flank/other cheap steak marinaded with cumin, dried chilli, lime juice and garlic; hard sear; remove and cook onions/peppers with same ingredients as marinade. Voila, fajitas, although they're not technically Mexican I think

On 16/10/2020 at 15:45, Granny Danger said:

Got a paella pan a couple of months back; wish I’d done it years ago.

Haven’t made a fish based one yet but been having chicken, veal and chorizo every couple of weeks and not tiring of it at all.

I love a paella, and when I visit my folks love to have the local variation of rabbit and snail, as well as the classics or b*****dized versions we make over here. I dick about with trying to be "authentic" about it but a Catalan girl I lived with once made it in a soup pot so goes to show most folk don't give a shit. 

The paella pan works better than anything else for it (obviously), nothing else quite gets those bits of crust on the bottom. See if you can get some of these as they are a class spice mix including saffron 

51JWGwuob+L._AC_SY400_.jpg

2 hours ago, Bairnardo said:
On 19/10/2020 at 12:58, quickoverayard said:
Anyone got any good Mexican recipes for steak??

Just make some fresh chimichurri. Job done.

Chimichurri's more South American.