Nom Nom Nom

3 minutes ago, jimbaxters said:

To qualify my statement, I live there! 

Authentic alfredo is made with butter and Parmesan, not cream. You won’t find pasta with cream or chicken here. At least no authentic restaurants. Sorry if it’s upsetting you all but it’s s fact.

tenor.gif?itemid=5279046

11 hours ago, jimbaxters said:

Doesn’t exist in Italy pal but if that’s you’re thing who am I to stop you.

13 minutes ago, jimbaxters said:

At least no authentic restaurants. Sorry if it’s upsetting you all but it’s s fact.

So you've went from it doesn't exist to it does exist, but only in restaurants I decide.  Both statements cant be fact.

12 minutes ago, jimbaxters said:

What were they and can you provide a list of ingredients, mouth?

Sorrento last August, one of the seafood places down the harbour where the ferries leave.  I had a delightful seafood linguine, in a creamy white wine sauce along with a couple of mango daiquiris.  It was delightful, but now wish I'd asked for a copy of the ingredients.

1 minute ago, MONKMAN said:

So you've went from it doesn't exist to it does exist, but only in restaurants I decide.  Both statements cant be fact.

Sorrento last August, one of the seafood places down the harbour where the ferries leave.  I had a delightful seafood linguine, in a creamy white wine sauce along with a couple of mango daiquiris.  It was delightful, but now wish I'd asked for a copy of the ingredients.

Are you sure it was cream and not béchamel? No need for aggression btw

2 minutes ago, jimbaxters said:

Are you sure it was cream and not béchamel? No need for aggression btw

There's no aggression, I'm merely pointing out a slight contradiction in your 'facts'.  You've said that cream in pasta doesn't exist in Italy, then went on to say it does but not in authentic Italian restaurants.  

1 minute ago, MONKMAN said:

There's no aggression, I'm merely pointing out a slight contradiction in your 'facts'.  You've said that cream in pasta doesn't exist in Italy, then went on to say it does but not in authentic Italian restaurants.  

To my knowledge it doesn’t. I have never seen it anywhere.

Who gives the slightest shit if it's 'authentic' or not? People don't seriously base food they make at home on that do they? Surely folk eat things they like?

Edited by DA Baracus

9 minutes ago, DA Baracus said:

Who gives the slightest shit if it's 'authentic' or not? People don't seriously base food they make at home on that do they? Surely folk eat things they like?

You’re right pal. Authenticity is very important in Italy but that shouldn’t affect what people enjoy.

Edited by jimbaxters

1 minute ago, Bairnardo said:

To move on from jimbaxters frankly baffling stance here, is anyone familiar with the work if Misty Ricardo and his British Indian Restaurant recipes? I have had the book recommended but wondered if anyone here has used it

It's not authentic. I've not seen anywhere that serves his dishes.

8 hours ago, Bairnardo said:

To move on from jimbaxters frankly baffling stance here, is anyone familiar with the work if Misty Ricardo and his British Indian Restaurant recipes? I have had the book recommended but wondered if anyone here has used it

Misty Ricardo? Don't be ridiculous, the name tells you all you need to know. Tell anyone who recommended it they are not to contact you again.

8 hours ago, Bairnardo said:

Is this the boy who does YouTube videos and talks about base gravy a lot? A friend and a podcast I listen to have both bigged him up a lot, seems cool.

On the authenticity front I think adapting stuff is how food develops. So pasta with cream based sauces, maybe nonna wasn't doing it 150 years ago but it's definitely a thing now. 

What rips my knitting is folk being aggressively anti-authenticity. I saw a Munchies video on YouTube of a guy making Paella where he just repeatedly got preemptively angry at folk for criticising him making up a recipe and not bothering with how it's really made at all, all the while cooking some liquid soaked mush where the rice was inches deep. 

Edited by Genuine Hibs Fan