Nom Nom Nom

4 minutes ago, hearthammer said:

Just trying to follow the humane (?) practices to minimise the distress to ma denner.  If anyone can suggest a better way, other than boiling them alive, then i'm open to try alternatives.

Cheers

Knife through it's brain before boiling them.

I'd prefer that to being stuck in a freezer (usually not long enough to die) & then chucked in boiling water.

Knife through it's brain before boiling them.
I'd prefer that to being stuck in a freezer (usually not long enough to die) & then chucked in boiling water.
Let's the water get all in about that brain meat for the stock too [emoji1786]

6 minutes ago, hearthammer said:

Just trying to follow the humane (?) practices to minimise the distress to ma denner.  If anyone can suggest a better way, other than boiling them alive, then i'm open to try alternatives.

Cheers

I’m fairly sure putting them in a bag and into the freezer isn’t exactly humane. Quick google shows they need to breathe so bags are fairly hideous, and the freezer is also suggested as being the wrong way to do things. 

Admittedly it’s a bit of a minefield unless you’re eating them the day you buy them.

2 minutes ago, Honest_Man#1 said:

I’m fairly sure putting them in a bag and into the freezer isn’t exactly humane. Quick google shows they need to breathe so bags are fairly hideous, and the freezer is also suggested as being the wrong way to do things. 

Admittedly it’s a bit of a minefield unless you’re eating them the day you buy them.

Will look for alternatives in the future given your info.     👍 

12 minutes ago, MixuFruit said:

Unless you've got a seriously sharp knife and ken exactly where to stick it, freezer's the best. Lobsters are marine animals they don't breathe air and are already in a state of torpor as they're stored in a moist icy environment after being caught. Freezing just puts them over the edge. Any time I've frozen a lobster when I take it out it's in exactly the position it was put in so it's not like they're in there thrashing about.

That’s exactly why inside a plastic bag in a freezer isn’t the best way. They need moisture to breathe. 

Unless you've got a seriously sharp knife and ken exactly where to stick it, freezer's the best. Lobsters are marine animals they don't breathe air and are already in a state of torpor as they're stored in a moist icy environment after being caught. Freezing just puts them over the edge. Any time I've frozen a lobster when I take it out it's in exactly the position it was put in so it's not like they're in there thrashing about.
When they do it on tv the put the knife in just up from the Join with the tail and bring it downwards splitting the head in two lengthways. Dont think theres any way to miss the right spot doing that [emoji23]

30 minutes ago, MixuFruit said:

See earlier comment about a sharp knife. It's hard enough to cut lobster shell when they're dead in my experience

Yeah. I havent really tackled many lobsters myself

Something that needs to change.