Camera Showoff - Assignment added!

• Replies 373
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Mackie those are outstanding. I've started doing a few action shots, but I've got loads to learn.

I'm definitely a landscape guy though. Went down the Sony route. Started with a A390 and then got the A65 which I now do most of my shooting with. Love the results but I hate the processing!

But big plans for the year. Tomorrow starts the 365. Better charge the batteries up

Few of my highlights from this year.

St Andrews.

9682617195_b41161cf21.jpg

Troon

9486593802_9e2d18315e_n.jpg

Stranraer Marina early morning

8703192706_32d8f3229e.jpg

Sirmione on Lake Garda

8606528138_ce5d665b71.jpg

Monreith, Dumfries and Galloway

9536454459_b877ac4a65.jpg

. Tomorrow starts the 365. Better charge the batteries up

I'm determined to do "Photo a Day" in 2014.

I'll only be using a point and click cheapo though. I'll turn it into a slideshow and post here in 366 days time.

I was going to post some stuff on here until I saw Mackie the Staggie's action shots!

These are amazing - they just about jump off the screen.

I get the distinct impression he is, or was, a professional photographer.

Maybe he could tell us something about the equipment used on these shots?

ETA :

Are you still using the Sony Alpha 200 DLSR you were using at the start of this thread back in 2009?

Cheers guys, love some of the recent photo's here.

@ I'm Brian - loving "Stranraer Marina", the reflection is just superb The black and white conversions are striking also, did you use filters for these?

@ LiamDFC - Great photo's really getting the vibrancy of New York in the night shots, must get over at least once.

I was going to post some stuff on here until I saw Mackie the Staggie's action shots!

These are amazing - they just about jump off the screen.

I get the distinct impression he is, or was, a professional photographer.

Maybe he could tell us something about the equipment used on these shots?

ETA :

Are you still using the Sony Alpha 200 DLSR you were using at the start of this thread back in 2009?

I wish I was professional, but alas it's all a hobby (admittedly, one I can and occasionally do get paid for).

I've moved up too a Sony Alpha 700 but the biggest move was getting a 70-200mm F2.8 Sigma lens. The jump in improvement in the clarity of the shots was amazing, even if the lens is a bit heavy at times. Also post your shots, don't let my shots put you off.

Cheers guys, love some of the recent photo's here.

@ I'm Brian - loving "Stranraer Marina", the reflection is just superb The black and white conversions are striking also, did you use filters for these?

@ LiamDFC - Great photo's really getting the vibrancy of New York in the night shots, must get over at least once.

I wish I was professional, but alas it's all a hobby (admittedly, one I can and occasionally do get paid for).

I've moved up too a Sony Alpha 700 but the biggest move was getting a 70-200mm F2.8 Sigma lens. The jump in improvement in the clarity of the shots was amazing, even if the lens is a bit heavy at times. Also post your shots, don't let my shots put you off.

You get better clarity, definition and sharpness with your action shots than I get when stood, stock still trying to capture a building or any other inanimate object.

There is one here that I love, taken by a friend of mine on Staffa Island. She gave this one a title :

Puffins in Conference.

post-13784-0-88240300-1388518870_thumb.j

You really should — can't recommend it enough. An interesting place to photograph, quite unlike anywhere I've been before.

Here's a few from London to offer some contrast:

lb43_wat4.jpg

lb43_wat5.jpg

lb28_lx6.jpg

lb28_sap_1.jpg

lb28_lx2.jpg

lb28_lx4.jpg

I took this one at Pennan (including Local Hero phone box) a couple of weeks ago with my wee Panasonic Lumix TZ20. Where I have been struggling with it is with dark interior shots, concert type scenarios, if anyone has got a Lumix they might kindly point me in the right direction, settings wise, cheers.

51c0231d.jpg

Did you take this one too?

post-30062-0-72627700-1388520230_thumb.j

Other useful purchases are a tripod (you can get a decent one for £40-50) and a remote control shutter release. Combine those with a ND filter and you'll be able to shoot blurry-effect water type shots in daylight and (with a standard filter) light trails etc at night.

Taken your advice Jupe and went on a wee spree on Amazon. Picked up a tripod that plenty reviewers were fairly happy with, ND filter and a wireless shutter release.

Been trying to post a couple photos I've taken from my flickr account but keep getting an error message saying file extension not supported. Even tried image and URL tags - nothing.

Cracking photos btw. Mackies photos from the Manx TT are my favourite. Keep em coming.

Cheers

I've never really used any filters I just tend to use the Photoshop BW conversion and use best fit. Perhaps this year I may look into purchasing some, but we'll see.

I love taking light trail shots. Where's that stretch of road?

It's the A8 at the Eurocentral junction at about half 7 on a Friday morning. It was my first go at trying a long exposure shot and I think it went rather well.

I'm chuffed with it.

Excellent Stuff Tryfield. Third photo with the ship and the snow capped hills is great.

Another long exposure shot

11898091496_d8bed39974_o.jpg

What length of exposure were you using for that? Been meaning to do a shot like that for donkeys, but never got round to it.

Out and about today, managed to get this one. Historic Scotland are interested in it!!

11938074903_62ce6fe94c.jpg

Archived