Camera Showoff - Assignment added!

• Replies 373
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Would anyone like an assignment in this thread? Like a monthly photography assignment? I have a plan for the first one if anyone's interested?

Setting assignments........missing the classroom Reina?!

Hate to say it mate, but you'll need more zoom than a 14-54, a lot more.

I currently use a Sigma 70-200 MM F2.8 as my main lense(you need f2.8 aperture or less for the low light as well as high ISO on the camera.), and it it a great lense for sports. The 14-54 or equivalent is ok for Sponsors, masots and the like, but for the action shots, it's a bit of a waste of time.

It's worth looking for a decent priced 70-300 to start with, then moving onto a faster lense.

Look about on ebay, amazon Warehouse Express, and SRS Microsystems(they've been good with my orders in the past and the service is always really good in my experience).

PM me if you want any advice or anything.

Should be OK for photographing The Shire then !!

Seriously,another good place for gear is Calumet in Glasgow

Should be OK for photographing The Shire then !!

Seriously,another good place for gear is Calumet in Glasgow

Good shout with Calumet, heard nothing but positive reviews about them. Seem to have decent service and a good range of stuff.

Jessops stock Olympus stuff as well.

OK, if there's interest in this, we could make it a regular thing:

Take a still life photo that tells us about you. It should be a group of different objects that play a part in making up who you are.

Things to think about:

• Try and use the manual setting on your camera if you can.
  • Use a tripod to get a steady shot (if you don't have a tripod then place the camera on some books or something)
  • If the photo is taken indoors then white balance may need to be adjusted (depending on the lighting in the room)
  • Make use of any natural light in the room
  • Think about your background

Should we set a deadline? How do you want to 'submit' it? Just post on this thread, or on the Flickr group or do you want to email them to me so that I could post them all at once and we could give feedback without knowing who's is who?

I think we should email them all to you Reina - that way you can post them all at once anonymously and we can guess who is who and discuss them without knowing who did each one. Then we can reveal afterwards? Maybe a week as a deadline?

Might be worth having a seperate thread for it as well? Or shall we keep it to this one?

Have posted it in a separate thread. The link is in my sig. :) Hope it'll be successful. I like the idea of doing something like this. Oh, and suggestions for future assignments are most welcome! :)

Give ffordes a look for camera gear new and old (based in Inverness) as well as mpbphotographic, look on camerapricebuster as well to take out some leg work if you decide to buy new.

Looking at shooting sports like football with the Olympus (which is a 4/3rds system) you have a crop factor of about 2, which should make things a bit easier (e.g. a 300mm lens is the 35mm equivalent of 600mm) but Olympus lenses can be expensive compared to the Canon/Nikon brands although they do have some glass nobody else has (due to the 4/3 system). Really depends what your budget is, but it's good to see this thread revived.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...

Archived