Camera Showoff - Assignment added!

• Replies 373
  • Created
  • Last Reply
post-21019-1247166638_thumb.jpg

The best picture I have ever taken just after we had arrived in Havana. A warm beautiful afternoon was rudely interrupted by a horrendous thunder storm which lasted about 2 hours before the sun magically reappeared.

Just went through all 9 pages and some cracking pictures but the above one is my favourite :D

Any tips for someone with a sh*tty 5mp digital camera or is it a lost cause trying to get as good as you guys. I know nothing about taking photos. I don't even know what most of the setting on my camera mean let alone proper light exposure etc.

Should I give up until I can afford a decent camera?

Edit: Forgot to mention my photo's are taken using a Canon EOS 400D with either the standard 18-55mm kit lens that comes with it or the Canon 55-250mm IS lens.

I'm looking to buy a camera. I have no experience of using one, though, so what would you recommend for me? Don't worry about price (not that I've got much money)! 

Furthermore, would I need to buy a lot of additional stuff? If so, what sort of things are we looking at? Again, any recommended additional stuff is welcome.

Oh, it would be used for pretty much what is shown in this thread.

Thanks a lot.

Whilst on a road trip with my mates in September I woke up at 6am, blindingly hungover, and stumbled down to Portree Harbour to take a few snaps. This one turned out the best of them all:

19671902.jpg

Great picture.

Great picture.

Cheers! Although the forum seems not to be showing it for some reason.

The other one (with the rain drops on the lens) was taken on a rainy day at Ardvreck Castle.

The other one (with the rain drops on the lens) was taken on a rainy day at Ardvreck Castle.

It's also a great capture. It's a real refreshing picture. I assume you know the person in it? 

I'm looking to buy a camera. I have no experience of using one, though, so what would you recommend for me? Don't worry about price (not that I've got much money)! 

Furthermore, would I need to buy a lot of additional stuff? If so, what sort of things are we looking at? Again, any recommended additional stuff is welcome.

Oh, it would be used for pretty much what is shown in this thread.

Thanks a lot.

What's your budget? I'd stick to Canon/Nikon if I was starting out and look at the Canon 1000D/450D and the Nikon equivalents (D3000 etc). Sony have their 'Alpha' series like the A200 which can be picked up for £250-£300 quid or the newer A230 which will set you back a bit more.

If you were to go down the Canon route (like I did) you're looking at:

Dslr body (£300ish new, but you'd get more bang for your buck second hand)

Kit lens (Usually 18-55mm IS which stands for Image Stabilization which helps with hand shake etc. Some come without the IS version of the lens which personally I'd avoid)

Camera bag

Rocket blower and lens pen (to keep the dust off the lens etc)

8Gb SD card (can be less Gb if you won't use the 8Gb)

Other additions you might consider:

Dedicated flash unit (Speedlite 430 EX II which is about £175)

Telephoto lens (55-250mm IS which is about £160)

Low light lens (50mm f/1.8 which is about £70)

Tripod/Monopod

anyone ever used this camera before?

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Olympus-E-420-Came..._cmu_pg__header

this is now the one I am looking towards getting. anyone have any comments on it?

When buying a dSLR you are buying into a lens system at the same time. The E-420 (and the E series in general) isn't noted for being great in low light situations and the 4/3 system (which is like a 2x crop compared to Canon 1.6x and Nikon 1.5x) is something that put me off it.

If I were you and looking at a dSLR I'd almost certainly go with choices in this order:

1. Canon/Nikon

3. Sony

4. Olympus

What are you wanting from the camera though? Do you primarily want to shoot portraits, landscapes, sports, at night etc?

When buying a dSLR you are buying into a lens system at the same time. The E-420 (and the E series in general) isn't noted for being great in low light situations and the 4/3 system (which is like a 2x crop compared to Canon 1.6x and Nikon 1.5x) is something that put me off it.

If I were you and looking at a dSLR I'd almost certainly go with choices in this order:

1. Canon/Nikon

3. Sony

4. Olympus

What are you wanting from the camera though? Do you primarily want to shoot portraits, landscapes, sports, at night etc?

landscapes and portraits mostly.

anyone ever used this camera before?

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Olympus-E-420-Came..._cmu_pg__header

this is now the one I am looking towards getting. anyone have any comments on it?

If you willing to pay that much for a DSLR, then imo you have 2 options.

1) Buy a Nikon/Canon/Sony/Pentax close to you top price and only get a basic lens with it (18-55mm - good enough for basic photo's)

2) Buy a entry, low level DSLR (i.e. Sony Alpha 200, which I went for) which will be just as good as the cameras nearer the £350/£400 range but minus some gadgets such as "live view", then you could buy/add on a longer lens. Like a 70-200mm which would be able to zoom in from a longer distance and better for stuff like sports and such.

The best bit of advice I can give though is to get down to a local Jessops shop and ask there. Get a chance to try some of the cameras, feel which one is a better for weight/size, then look for a good deal on the web. Chances are you can find it £20/£30 cheaper.

Canon 400 or 450d. Nice cameras.

Heres a couple of my shiters;

Cheers in advance for any constructive criticism.

I like these captures. Particularly the sand one - it's quite mesmerising.

I've just very recently bought one of these (Cannon 400d) and it's a superb camera. Jay_7 provided a lot of help and advice of which went a long way for me. 

I've not had a chance to go out and experiment a bit with it, but the very second picture I took with it, I liked. Not a great capture, in fact a very ordinary capture, but I quite like it for some reason, of which I'm not sure. I was planning on having a dander up the Law Hill to grab some captures of the City, and the City at night. Not often you get to take pictures on top of a volcano, albeit inactive, in Scotland, so it should be fun.

Anyway, here's that totally random image that I was talking about and another. They're poor captures, but somehow I like them. I can't wait to get out with it and get some nice captures:

4934499226a11980333037l.jpg

4934499226a11980328077l.jpg

Archived