Top Gear

Series 5 Episode 5: Jeremy is doing his attempt to get round the Nurburgring in a diesel Jaguar. He's complaining about the homotorcyclists on the track while being soundtracked by Kasabian's eponymous debut album. 

Unlike him, as someone who does know the track it's a bit jarring seeing him talk about being really into the lap and you see a clip of the track and he's about 1/3 of the way through. A bit like watching Rush when you notice all the on-track stuff is from Brands Hatch.

Series 5 Episode 6: Jeremy is complaining about government warnings on cheese

This is also the episode with their second cheap car challenge - buying a Porsche for under 1500. One of my favourite quotes when James asks Jeremy how many cylinders his engine has at one point - "six and three quarters" the answer. Jeremy wins by turning the engine into a coffee table to sell it.

• 2 weeks later...

I've reached the point where I'm really familiar with every episode I'm watching because of Dave. I also couldn't handle the nostalgia when the contents of Now 60 started appearing in the background (Black and White Town by The Doves, ah!) but

Series 6 Episode 5: Hammond is testing the new Maserati against Gabrielli Tarquini, Maserati's test driver. Jeremy called him "a middle aged bald man who once crashed a touring car." They showed the crash and they didn't include the fucking commentary!

Series 6 Episode 6

This is the first episode of Top Gear I ever saw. Jeremy races James and Richard to Oslo, him in the McLaren SLR and them on a ferry and other things. I remember watching this when I was staying at Granny Sanchez' for the weekend. The producers gave him two CDs to listen to - Teach Yourself Norwegian ("I'm fluent already") and "101 Great Speeches From Margaret Thatcher." In my naive innocence I thought he was making fun of it whenever he was listening to it.

On 08/06/2022 at 17:40, Miguel Sanchez said:

Series 6 Episode 6

This is the first episode of Top Gear I ever saw. Jeremy races James and Richard to Oslo, him in the McLaren SLR and them on a ferry and other things. I remember watching this when I was staying at Granny Sanchez' for the weekend. The producers gave him two CDs to listen to - Teach Yourself Norwegian ("I'm fluent already") and "101 Great Speeches From Margaret Thatcher." In my naive innocence I thought he was making fun of it whenever he was listening to it.

You need to go back and watch the Goffey (dad of lad from Supergrass), Tiff, Quentin, young Clarkson etc era next.

1 hour ago, Shandön Par said:

You need to go back and watch the Goffey (dad of lad from Supergrass), Tiff, Quentin, young Clarkson etc era next.

There’s a very good reason the original format of Top Gear was canned Shandon. As someone who watches paint dry, I’m surprised that your suggesting Miguel watches the old series. That’s a Top Gear challenge in itself.

8 hours ago, 8MileBU said:

There’s a very good reason the original format of Top Gear was canned Shandon. As someone who watches paint dry, I’m surprised that your suggesting Miguel watches the old series. That’s a Top Gear challenge in itself.

I love watching paint dry! Very Zen.

Series 7 Episode 1: There's a new Mini estate model being released. They've made it "quintessentially British" which meant putting some teabags in it. Jeremy suggested making a "quintessentially German" version and mimed gullwing doors by doing a Nazi salute and saying the satnav will only go to Poland.

Oh no now there's a motoring website for homosexual people what are they going to do

Ed - Actually they ended up with the first mention of Hammond having his teeth whitened

Edited by Miguel Sanchez

Just watched episode 2 of the current series, I think Flintoff's getting the hang of it, Harris is playing less of the gimp and the other guy has toned down the professional Yorkshireman a tad. Hope for them yet.

Series 7 Episode 6: I remember putting my PS2 on as soon as this episode was done and beating his lap by three seconds on my first attempt. Fucking look at him. He's sliding through half the corners and he's in the middle of the road when he's braking into turn 1. I'll fire up GT7 at some point soon and see how much I can beat him by now. 

Edited by Miguel Sanchez

• 2 weeks later...

Series 8 Episode 5: This is the one with Jackie Stewart taking James round a track (Oulton Park) and teaching him how to drive. Ten minutes of television which defined god knows how many hours of my video game playing. James is driving while A Certain Romance by the Arctic Monkeys and Reason is Treason by Kasabian are playing.

Edited by Miguel Sanchez

Series 8 Episode 7: The episode where they build a Caterham while the Stig drives one from the factory to Knockhill. This contains my favourite piece of Stig lore: He stops for fuel and Jeremy asks "how will he pay for it?" He places a credit car with BANK OF MONEY written on it on the counter.

The guy on the till asks (in the most bored voice possible) "Have you got a Nectar card?"

Edited by Miguel Sanchez

Series 9 Episode 1: First episode of the series when Hammond crashed that dragster. Jeremy: "One of us has become Princess Diana"

Jamie Oliver was the Star in a Reasonably Priced Car. Jeremy while watching him "You do look like special needs sometimes Jamie"

Jeremy is driving a new Jaguar and Aston Martin while We're No Here by Mogwai plays, now we're talking. As I recall there's more Mogwai in this series, Auto Rock and Friend of the Night feature in the US special. Auto Rock has also now featured in this segment.

Edited by Miguel Sanchez

• 2 weeks later...

Series 10 Episode 5: There's a convertible Aston Martin... something. Jeremy says "I'd rather be in this than Keira Knightley." This follows from a few episodes previously where he described something as "like smearing honey into Keira Knightley", and there's another review coming I remember where he says "look at Keira Knightley, she's just an ironing board with a face, and she works"

What a thoroughly odd piece this is. A creepy, creepy old man. 

Simon Cowell (looking vaguely human (although with a distinct line going from his earlobe to under his chin somewhere)) is the guest and Jeremy is listing his shows asking how many opportunities there are for him to make money from premium rate phonelines. Remember those?

Anyway, Jeremy has suggested a show where asylum seekers compete for a British passport. It's quite frightening how powerful Jeremy Clarkson would be in this country if this had happened 15 years later.

Now they're talking about plastic surgery. Simon thinks he looks good and is suggesting Jeremy gets some work done.

Is Simon Cowell's surprising new face a vision of our deepfake future? |  Grace Dent | The Guardian

Cowell's lap topped the leaderboard, and this is the one where Jeremy said he was fed up with having a Scot in number 10 and at the top of the leaderboard. He's not doing well here tbh

Edited by Miguel Sanchez