Top Gear

LeBlanc seems alright when he's just reviewing cars. Needs to get over himself a bit - he was in a soap 20 years ago and the only thing he seems to have achieved in the intervening years is to gain about 4 stone. 

Disappointed not to have more Chris Harris - he was on the awful TG extra show though. Thought he'd add a bit of credibility by being a great driver and total petrolhead. Nobody had heard of Clarkson or May and I think they've erred by hiring Evans on the basis he's tall and  gobby like Clarkson and LeBlanc as he's a big name. Thought the whole thing was utter gash, but then it has been poor for a while. There's still the germ of a decent show in there, just need to get away from thinking that shouting and blowing things up are automatically exciting and that Hollywood stars as guests are automatically interesting. 

“If we had to guess about the number of viewers we are going to get on Sunday night, you have got to say you would be disappointed if it was under 5 million. Five million-plus would be great, after that it doesn’t matter,†- Chris Evans

It drew 4.4 million, apparently the lowest in a decade. Might explain his wee "FACTS!" rant on twitter.

“If we had to guess about the number of viewers we are going to get on Sunday night, you have got to say you would be disappointed if it was under 5 million. Five million-plus would be great, after that it doesn’t matter,†- Chris Evans

It drew 4.4 million, apparently the lowest in a decade. Might explain his wee "FACTS!" rant on twitter.

I do not believe it was as low as 4.4 million.

In defence of LeBlanc, he's reputed to be a total petrol head. He's the fastest ever "Star in a reasonably priced car", doing a lap in 1:42:01 in a Kia. The fastest Formula One driver (Daniel Ricciardo) did the same course in 1:42:02 in a Suzuki. The wife watched him on Graham Norton where he was saying he has rooms in his house stuffed with motoring magazines he's been collecting for decades. His dad was a mechanic, he's got a collection of exotic cars and you've got to like a guy who has his own bulldozer!

post-30567-0-30720400-1464715878_thumb.j

It was pretty poor.

The highlight of the show was Evans and Schmidt in the muscle cars. The rest of it was boring. The interaction between the presenters felt forced and it was just unengaging.

They should have binned Top Gear. No matter how good or bad the new version of the show is, it'll always be compared unfavourably to the Clarkson show. What fans forget is that the Clarkson version had run it's course and over the past 3-4 years had become dull. The characters adopted by the presenters were poor. James May was badly under-used, Hammond is an annoying c**t and Clarkson was playing up to his loud mouth boor guise far too much. The scripts were terrible.

The best thing BBC could do is have a completely new car show. New hosts. Move away from the ides of the scripted comedy. It wouldn't be Top Gear, but that would probably be a good thing.

It was pretty poor.

The highlight of the show was Evans and Schmidt in the muscle cars. The rest of it was boring. The interaction between the presenters felt forced and it was just unengaging.

They should have binned Top Gear. No matter how good or bad the new version of the show is, it'll always be compared unfavourably to the Clarkson show. What fans forget is that the Clarkson version had run it's course and over the past 3-4 years had become dull. The characters adopted by the presenters were poor. James May was badly under-used, Hammond is an annoying c**t and Clarkson was playing up to his loud mouth boor guise far too much. The scripts were terrible.

The best thing BBC could do is have a completely new car show. New hosts. Move away from the ides of the scripted comedy. It wouldn't be Top Gear, but that would probably be a good thing.

Agree with this.Back to basics with a simple consumer show and see how it evolves, as happened with Top Gear.

Can't understand how people can work up such a seethe about a TV show. Watched it with an open mind after reading reviews on here and elsewhere.

Was it as good as Top Gear was at it's best 4/5/6 years ago? No.

Was it noticeably worse than the last couple of series? No, imo.

Evans admitted on radio last week that one mistake they had made was seriously underestimating the time required to record the studio segments, so I think that ended up a bit hurried and didn't help. It was also LeBlanc's first shot in a presenter role, I think he'll be OK once he settles into it. They had already recorded episode 2 prior to the first one being aired, so any changes that are made from the feedback they get won't be seen until the third one. Imo Evans was trying too hard to be like Clarkson, and I had thought we would have seen more of the other presenters.

I did like the new track with the off road sections.

Edited by peasy23

Leblanc was decent, I think he would work better with someone that doesn't jump around like a excited puppy on speed. Maybe a James May type. Evans was horrendous the we've got custody bit was enough for me. I used to only really like the top gear specials because it did become a little stale but this is by far the worst I've seen EVER. Leblanc and the new star in the reasonably priced car are the only positives.

Leblanc was decent, I think he would work better with someone that doesn't jump around like a excited puppy on speed. Maybe a James May type. Evans was horrendous the we've got custody bit was enough for me. I used to only really like the top gear specials because it did become a little stale but this is by far the worst I've seen EVER. Leblanc and the new star in the reasonably priced car are the only positives.

It might work better with Leblanc partnered with a straight man, somebody who really knows about cars and goes through all the technical details while Leblanc takes the piss. The Brit v Yank thing is cringy.

I enjoyed the first episode. Many appear desperate for Top Gear to fail but the way I see it two entertaining car shows is better than one, right?.... 

My one criticism would be they've tried to make it a bit too much like the previous episodes rather than completely changing it, especially considering the show was already becoming slightly stale. It probably could have done with a new name also.

Still, it was okay.

Evans admitted on radio last week that one mistake they had made was seriously underestimating the time required to record the studio segments

Unless there are no crew remaining from the previous Top Gear, this sounds more like Evans giving it the "we'll do it my way because my salary is so much higher than yours". From what I've read, he has plenty of form for this.

Unless there are no crew remaining from the previous Top Gear, this sounds more like Evans giving it the "we'll do it my way because my salary is so much higher than yours". From what I've read, he has plenty of form for this.

More than half the staff from the old TG has apparently left to join Clarkson and co, including the Producer Andy Willman, id imagine thats why they had trouble

More than half the staff from the old TG has apparently left to join Clarkson and co, including the Producer Andy Willman, id imagine thats why they had trouble

Even more reason to try to be more original. It also suggests the jc show will be pretty much same old tedious guff.

It might be tedious to you mate but obviously with the demand for it theres people who still enjoy it

Hasn't even aired yet think it's a bit early to start breaking out the baftas....litmus test won't be audience for 1st episode but how it holds up throughout its run. There isn't any doubt at all that TG with that production team and presenters was floundering badly for its last couple of series. Great if they have managed to come up with something fresh, but not sure they have it in them.

It might be tedious to you mate but obviously with the demand for it theres people who still enjoy it

I fair enjoy the challenges that Clarkson and co do.  Not just the epic adventures but the buy 3 cars and turn them into ambulances etc.