Who's Going To Uni?

Monkman...I have to apologise. I should have checked the article I posted the link to first. The average wage for a UK vet is £30,724 pa. The National Average is just over £26,000. Train drivers earn £37,231.

I checked figures for other western countries just incase Vets were missing out in the UK. In the US the average is $35,000USD which works out at £21,000 pa, and in Canada they earn $20 Canadian Dollars per hour on average which works out at £22,605 pa. So it looks like UK Vets are right at the top end of their payscale with little opportunity to earn more, even if they emigrate.

Not exactly on topic, but I am always suspicious about these average wage things.

For example, there are a lot of job families so generic (i.e. IT Programmer) that covers a multitude of actual jobs.

IT jobs were broken down into different bands on the This Is Money Average wage article and the figures came from the National Office of Statistics.

Yeah and a lot of them dont take into consideration the working environment. For instance an engineer or tradesman working offshore will earn a lot more than his equivalent on a building site or in a factory

A tradesman will certainly earn more on site than they would do in a fab shop - but average figures take that into account - just as it would do when it quotes an average wage figure for a doctor irrespective of whether he is an NHS poser with a stethoscope, a GP, or a real doctor working in a private practice.

1. Yes they do. I didn't need to look beyond Google for proof of that one. Try it. The first page showed four jobs listings showing higher earnings than the top rate for teachers.

2. Nonsense. Many companies are paying well in advance of that for apprentices. Ofcourse it depends on the contract and location as to what you are working but I was earning more than £24k per annum as a fourth year apprentice Pipefitter in 1990.

3. "Slightly more believable" - it's a hell of a lot more believable than claims that being one of 430,000 graduates will guide you into a job with great salaries, or that a tradesman who's skill is in demand is going to have a lower level salary peak than - for example - a graduate software developer... :rolleyes:

The apprentice is a welder.

Anything else?

:lol:

My Software Developer graduate older brother got a $400,000 share option issued to him as a bonus in 2001.

I bet he wishes he'd finished his electrician's apprenticeship in the late 80s instead of jacking it in and going to uni.

Monkman...I have to apologise. I should have checked the article I posted the link to first. The average wage for a UK vet is £30,724 pa. The National Average is just over £26,000. Train drivers earn £37,231.

I checked figures for other western countries just incase Vets were missing out in the UK. In the US the average is $35,000USD which works out at £21,000 pa, and in Canada they earn $20 Canadian Dollars per hour on average which works out at £22,605 pa. So it looks like UK Vets are right at the top end of their payscale with little opportunity to earn more, even if they emigrate.

Train drivers earning £37K is skewed by London. Train drivers here earn about £33K on Scotrail. One thing to remember is that it isn't a job you'll get from school- you can only start driving at 21. Even assuming you get a job at 21 you'll start on the training wage.

:lol:

My Software Developer graduate older brother got a $400,000 share option issued to him as a bonus in 2001.

I bet he wishes he'd finished his electrician's apprenticeship in the late 80s instead of jacking it in and going to uni.

You might not have grasped this....but in the last five years the UK has seen 200,000 students graduate as Software Developers. Most new graduates are going to struggle to earn national average earnings.

Guest SavotheGreat
You might not have grasped this....but in the last five years the UK has seen 200,000 students graduate as Software Developers. Most new graduates are going to struggle to earn national average earnings.

f**k off savo you tedious c**t!!!

However, their capacity to earn greater money over succesive years is very high, so what's the point? For some it's not about the money, some genuinly have a love of writing program code and want to do it for a living. There is clearly still a market for it (even if the money isn't great). They still contribute hugely to the country's economy so what could possibly be your problem?

Or would you like them to retrain as pipefitters and slowley start to squeeze your own wage structure.

Guest SavotheGreat
However, their capacity to earn greater money over succesive years is very high, so what's the point? For some it's not about the money, some genuinly have a love of writing program code and want to do it for a living. There is clearly still a market for it (even if the money isn't great). They still contribute hugely to the country's economy so what could possibly be your problem?

Or would you like them to retrain as pipefitters and slowley start to squeeze your own wage structure.

You do know you will NEVER bring him round to your way of thinking? It really is UTTERLY POINTLESS debating anything with him. You do realise this? :lol:

I think his resentment of IT people is linked into his hatred of Div whom I believe works in that industry........

Some tosser on my course goes on like that. He's one of them people who's not half as intelligent as he'd like to think he was. One of his daily outbursts would go something along the lines of "I genuinly love doing electronics, its what im intereseted whereas you lot are only interested in getting pissed, watchin football and birds"

God i hate him

You do know you will NEVER bring him round to your way of thinking? It really is UTTERLY POINTLESS debating anything with him. You do realise this? :lol:

Yes, but I'm stuck in an office trying to characterise a pyhsical model for fluid dynamics under a heterogeneous electric field.

Arguing with him is light relief by comparison.

Edited by renton

:lol: :lol: :lol:

No fucking shit Sherlock.

Some tosser on my course goes on like that. He's one of them people who's not half as intelligent as he'd like to think he was. One of his daily outbursts would go something along the lines of "I genuinly love doing electronics, its what im intereseted whereas you lot are only interested in getting pissed, watchin football and birds"

God i hate him

I think you can do both, I genuinly enjoy all aspects of electronics (albeit my exposure to pure electronics is more limited these days) but anyone that knows me will tell you I enjoy being pissed watching football more :lol:

I think you can do both, I genuinly enjoy all aspects of electronics (albeit my exposure to pure electronics is more limited these days) but anyone that knows me will tell you I enjoy being pissed watching football more :lol:

im not saying theres anything wrong with being passionate about something, although i had to do an electronic engineering module and it bores the tits out of me. its just wot u sayed reminded me of some knob i know and i needed a sudden vent of anger :)

Yes, but I'm stuck in an office trying to characterise a pyhsical model for fluid dynamics under a heterogeneous electric field.

You'd have much more job satisfaction if you were a pipefitter.

You'd have much more job satisfaction if you were a pipefitter.

Curiously one of the main applications of my work is in the construction of micro channels for fluid flow, so in a sense I guess I am :lol: