Who's Going To Uni?

So let me get this straight - you currently are earning less than the UK National Average of £26,000?

Yes, because I'm doing f'k all at the moment. :D

I will be when I start, but it shouldn't be too long before I make it beyond there, at 22 I have plenty of time to do so.

Thus - bargain. :D

How exactly did you get so many life lessons in your very first day?

Apparently there's a three part film franchise being made. "Stuart Dickson: My First Day".

A DVD player would be better... :rolleyes:

Did you not learn this on the first day of your job? If you need to do some digging, you don't hack away with a dvd player. Accordingly, if you want to entertain yourself after all those life lessons, you wouldnt settle down in front of a shovel.

Apparently there's a three part film franchise being made. "Stuart Dickson: My First Day".

Did you not learn this on the first day of your job? If you need to do some digging, you don't hack away with a dvd player. Accordingly, if you want to entertain yourself after all those life lessons, you wouldnt settle down in front of a shovel.

Oh dear...once again so failed by our education system.

Look, as a Pipefitter if I want some digging done, I'll call in the guys with the diggers and if I want entertainment I'll go to a lap dancing club where some of the prettier students can dance for me... :rolleyes:

Guest sb1903

I'm going back to Aberdeen Uni after a year out do to a post grad in secondary history/mod studies teaching...

... I cannot wait to not pay tax again! haha!

Edited by sb1903

I'm going back to Aberdeen Uni after a year out do to a post grad in secondary history/mod studies teaching...

... I cannot wait to not pay tax again! haha!

That's the attitude. A future MP in the making.... :rolleyes:

Oh dear....I learned not to under estimate anyone on my first day on the job. I would have thought that lesson would have been part of any worthwhile university course... :rolleyes:
Oh dear - you and 200,000 others fighting over around 100,000 jobs. Last years average wage in your sector dropped from £24,000pa to £23,750. At those kind of rates the taxpayer will struggle to recoup your student loan fees never mind anything else.

I know this has already been remarked upon, but I couldn't let this past.

One of the first things I learned at Uni was not to contradict myself in two consecutive utterances. :rolleyes:

I know this has already been remarked upon, but I couldn't let this past.

One of the first things I learned at Uni was not to contradict myself in two consecutive utterances. :rolleyes:

I suppose you had a momentary lapse earlier in the week then when you first claimed I was out of my depth, then claimed that it was a fantastic point all within two posts. :rolleyes:

I suppose you had a momentary lapse earlier in the week then when you first claimed I was out of my depth, then claimed that it was a fantastic point all within two posts. :rolleyes:

:lol: You showed that you didn't know the difference between a central bank and a retail bank. You showed that you had no idea how the Eurozone operated.

THe a sharper poster than either of us pointed out that "inadvertantly" you had raised an issue. Note: you didn't actually raise it at all - you simply triggered a more informed post.

Still, if it gets you moist Stuart, feel free to carry on. :D

Probably a ridiculous question, but I am not all that familiar with University age ranges. Are you at all concerned about going to University at the age of 22 and after having dropped out once? I've never been to University, but I did leave higher education when I was 18 and have been working ever since. I am about to turn 22 and am hoping to get back into it.

I went back last year at 25 and loved it compared to when I went at 18. My marks were on average 15% higher and I made some good friends. I think because I was also paying my own fees made me more committed. With the wee one now here I can't afford to go back but I don't regret it one bit.

I think having that little bit of life experience behind you is a good thing.

I'd absolutely recommend people go to University.

3-4-5 years of sitting on your arse, largely funded by the taxpayer, and it's a complete skive. Exams are easy and it's set up for you to pass, not fail.

Tehre are obvious advantages to getting a job straight from school, but the downsides outweigh them for me.

It is interesting that you would consider it wasted. I have formed 100's of friendships while at University, I have broadened my knowledge base considerably, I have played sports all over the country, I've become involved in many societies and met the types of people I would never have met had I just got a job locally when I was 18 and leaving shcool.

But it was at Stuart's personal expense! What use is any of that in the real world! You're to stupid to survive in the market place!

Sorry. I just thought I'd save SD the bother. ;)

But it was at Stuart's personal expense! What use is any of that in the real world! You're to stupid to survive in the market place!

Plus Stuart made hundreds of friends in his first day at work without needing to go to University.

It is interesting that you would consider it wasted. I have formed 100's of friendships while at University, I have broadened my knowledge base considerably, I have played sports all over the country, I've become involved in many societies and met the types of people I would never have met had I just got a job locally when I was 18 and leaving shcool.

Perhaps it says more about you than anything else, that you needed the taxpayer to fund your attempts at making friends, playing sports, and getting involved in "societies". Most of us manage to do that off our own backs... :rolleyes:

Don't become a vet, or worse a vet nurse. Pretty much all of them to a person are wanks.

Ach can you blame them. They've spent all those years at University being promised high wages when they get their degree and when they get out into the real world they find they get paid less than the average wage to stick their arms up cow's arseholes. I bet most of them wish they'd been smart enough to get a trade apprenticeship.

Ach can you blame them. They've spent all those years at University being promised high wages when they get their degree and when they get out into the real world they find they get paid less than the average wage to stick their arms up cow's arseholes. I bet most of them wish they'd been smart enough to get a trade apprenticeship.

A nation of pipefitters eh stuart?

doesn't matter that the livestock of the country could be caught in a pandemic that kills huge swathes of the bovine population. Doesn't matter that it went unnoticed because those people who considered becoming vets decided to instead become pipefitters because they heard that you learn everything about life, the universe and everything on your first day (types of welds is on the second day).... of course incidentally all those vet/pipefitters will have a negative effect on your own wage as your skill set becomes less unique - but you could retrain as a vet I suppose and look after britain's last remaining cow.....

Edited by renton

I can guarantee you there are vets kicking about making £100,000+ a year. Ridiculous amounts of money they through about.

I would imagine that any vet earning that kind of money owns their own practice. The average wage for a vet is apparently less than the national average. If they want to be up to their elbows in shit they would have been better off doing a plumbing apprenticeship... ;)

I would imagine that any vet earning that kind of money owns their own practice. The average wage for a vet is apparently less than the national average. If they want to be up to their elbows in shit they would have been better off doing a plumbing apprenticeship... ;)

I seriously doubt that

Not exactly on topic, but I am always suspicious about these average wage things.

For example, there are a lot of job families so generic (i.e. IT Programmer) that covers a multitude of actual jobs.

Not exactly on topic, but I am always suspicious about these average wage things.

For example, there are a lot of job families so generic (i.e. IT Programmer) that covers a multitude of actual jobs.

Yeah and a lot of them dont take into consideration the working environment. For instance an engineer or tradesman working offshore will earn a lot more than his equivalent on a building site or in a factory