Who's Going To Uni?

5 hours ago, johnnydun said:

Yeah, I am usually about 100 to 150 words short. I just don't want to repeat things.

Thanks.

3 hours ago, johnnydun said:

Yeah, a lot of the course is about the writing side of things, I've just always been poor at those things. It's a BSc Honours Psychology degree.

What evidence/studies/experiments are you citing to support your essay points? Can you find another piece of evidence/study/experiment that confirms (or develops) your argument as well? 

There might be scope for more evaluation of the issues (what is the impact; are there any comparisons or contrasts that can be made) depending on your question, but any extra, relevant evidence you can add is only going to make an essay more convincing. 

6 minutes ago, Florentine_Pogen said:

3 minutes ago, mathematics said:

I’ve had a play about with that software already. It’s fucking frightening.

Then again, there's Edward Tian..................

https://www.theguardian.com/technology/2023/jan/12/college-student-claims-app-can-detect-essays-written-by-chatbot-chatgpt

1 minute ago, Florentine_Pogen said:

It’s not even just essays, but simply Short descriptions and simple mathematics solutions which are fair game for the software.

4 hours ago, virginton said:

What evidence/studies/experiments are you citing to support your essay points? Can you find another piece of evidence/study/experiment that confirms (or develops) your argument as well? 

There might be scope for more evaluation of the issues (what is the impact; are there any comparisons or contrasts that can be made) depending on your question, but any extra, relevant evidence you can add is only going to make an essay more convincing. 

Yes, I have done on a few occasions went out to find other evidence away from the information in the Uni material. And funnily enough, that's when I have had my best marks. I just feel I get to a point where I have explained it enough where I don't want to repeat anything, plus with things I research myself, I'm always questioning if it is right. I think a lot of it is to do with lack of confidence in my own ability.

11 hours ago, johnnydun said:

Yes, I have done on a few occasions went out to find other evidence away from the information in the Uni material. And funnily enough, that's when I have had my best marks. I just feel I get to a point where I have explained it enough where I don't want to repeat anything,

So long as you're adding relevant evidence (particularly from tour research beyond the recommended texts) then you're not actually repeating - you're reinforcing your point. If you have one piece of supporting evidence, having two makes your argument more convincing. If you have two, having four pieces of supporting evidence is still better. The only limitation for this is the word count and making sure that the structure of your work covers all the issues it needs to address (analyse 3 themes for example).

Adding further evidence also shows the breadth of reading and research skills that have been used to arrive at your answer. The marker can't see this if the research doesn't appear in your final work. So long as it's relevant and reliable, try to bring in any research outside the standard class texts that you've found. 

plus with things I research myself, I'm always questioning if it is right. I think a lot of it is to do with lack of confidence in my own ability.

That's understandable but part of the process of taking work to a higher level is comparing the standard class examples or case studies etc. to similar research that can't be covered in class. If they are both supporting the same conclusion in your interpretation, then put it in anyway.

A marker is not going to slaughter anyone for doing their own research on top of understanding the standard examples and getting that interpretation wrong. Think of it as a bonus that you can get to improve your grade without really losing anything if it doesn't work out.

If you find research that contradicts/challenges/adjusts/ qualifies the standard evidence and conclusions about your topic then absolutely highlight this too. There's almost always more than one interpretation of the question, so showing your awareness of this, weighing up any competing claims and reaching your own justified conclusion is how you can show higher-level critical thinking skills too. A lot of people don't feel comfortable dealing with competing claims and reaching their own judgment in a school/university setting, but do it all the time when debating and arguing about their football team or favourite bands/TV shows etc. Other than remembering to use formal writing and all the evidence you can get, treat it as the same task with the same level of wild self-confidence. It's only an essay argument at the end of the day. 

1 hour ago, virginton said:

So long as you're adding relevant evidence (particularly from tour research beyond the recommended texts) then you're not actually repeating - you're reinforcing your point. If you have one piece of supporting evidence, having two makes your argument more convincing. If you have two, having four pieces of supporting evidence is still better. The only limitation for this is the word count and making sure that the structure of your work covers all the issues it needs to address (analyse 3 themes for example).

Adding further evidence also shows the breadth of reading and research skills that have been used to arrive at your answer. The marker can't see this if the research doesn't appear in your final work. So long as it's relevant and reliable, try to bring in any research outside the standard class texts that you've found. 

That's understandable but part of the process of taking work to a higher level is comparing the standard class examples or case studies etc. to similar research that can't be covered in class. If they are both supporting the same conclusion in your interpretation, then put it in anyway.

A marker is not going to slaughter anyone for doing their own research on top of understanding the standard examples and getting that interpretation wrong. Think of it as a bonus that you can get to improve your grade without really losing anything if it doesn't work out.

If you find research that contradicts/challenges/adjusts/ qualifies the standard evidence and conclusions about your topic then absolutely highlight this too. There's almost always more than one interpretation of the question, so showing your awareness of this, weighing up any competing claims and reaching your own justified conclusion is how you can show higher-level critical thinking skills too. A lot of people don't feel comfortable dealing with competing claims and reaching their own judgment in a school/university setting, but do it all the time when debating and arguing about their football team or favourite bands/TV shows etc. Other than remembering to use formal writing and all the evidence you can get, treat it as the same task with the same level of wild self-confidence. It's only an essay argument at the end of the day. 

Thank you. That is all very informative and reassuring. Are you a tutor? I really should,  not only include info from the Uni text books, but look more elsewhere in future, and add more of my own research. Like you say, if the research from other sources is incorrect, as long as I reference them, it's not going to harm my mark.

• 1 month later...
14 minutes ago, scottsdad said:

Scott is in his first interview for uni right now. It's over zoom, and he is downstairs doing it. 

Just hoping he gets through, this is the course he really wants to do. 

What's the course?

On 14/01/2023 at 12:48, johnnydun said:

Thank you. That is all very informative and reassuring. Are you a tutor? I really should,  not only include info from the Uni text books, but look more elsewhere in future, and add more of my own research. Like you say, if the research from other sources is incorrect, as long as I reference them, it's not going to harm my mark.

Textbooks are fine for covering the broad details of the topic. If you're looking to dig deeper in answering the task set (which is one key point markers are looking for to get a higher level score), then the easiest way to start your research process is actually by looking at the reference list at the back of the textbook. A textbook is a broad brush device: which of the resources cited in the textbook reference list would be useful to study the specific topic you're dealing with in an assessment? Make a note/highlight any relevant texts - then try to find some of those in a library/online. 

If you follow that lead then you almost certainly won't be led astray by random, gubbins material online (although simply attempting individual research and referencing it is a plus point for undergraduate level). If you can find even a couple of the key, original resources cited by a textbook on your topic and study those works, then the far more detailed evidence and nuanced arguments that you find there should help take your work to a higher level of quality. 

I'm considering applying to the OU this year to do my Masters in History. I've thought about studying some more in the past, even potentially dropping out of work to do it, but I have a job I enjoy now and financial plans/commitments so part time would be the only way to go. We are also planning on moving to my fiancé's hometown which is visa-and-other-timing dependant but probably around two years from now, and as that is in the US this'll be my last chance to do it without dropping probably a good 5 figures, and we'd like to have kids at some point in the next few years so that'd be too much to juggle. My ideal situation would be to be able to do a PhD sometime in the future and make a career move but mainly just keen to study more and maybe to have a new, if not directly relevant, qualification that shows my broader interest and ability to juggle work and studying on my CV. Anyone done a Master's through the OU or part time, what was the workload like, would you recommend it etc? Appreciate any advice. 

10 hours ago, Genuine Hibs Fan said:

I'm considering applying to the OU this year to do my Masters in History. I've thought about studying some more in the past, even potentially dropping out of work to do it, but I have a job I enjoy now and financial plans/commitments so part time would be the only way to go. We are also planning on moving to my fiancé's hometown which is visa-and-other-timing dependant but probably around two years from now, and as that is in the US this'll be my last chance to do it without dropping probably a good 5 figures, and we'd like to have kids at some point in the next few years so that'd be too much to juggle. My ideal situation would be to be able to do a PhD sometime in the future and make a career move but mainly just keen to study more and maybe to have a new, if not directly relevant, qualification that shows my broader interest and ability to juggle work and studying on my CV. Anyone done a Master's through the OU or part time, what was the workload like, would you recommend it etc? Appreciate any advice. 

If there's one thing P&B needs, it's another qualified historian...