Who's Going To Uni?

Was that Oaksoft demanding fewer lectures a few pages back?  :lol:

It's good to be back in class. You know you're doing the right thing when you're panicking about your workload, but enjoying it regardless.

15 hours ago, BFTD said:

Was that Oaksoft demanding fewer lectures a few pages back?  :lol:

The traditional lecture is certainly "under threat" to use the tabloid phrase.

I'm doing the flipped classroom, where students read notes and watch videos I made and then come to class for a tutorial. Quite a few colleagues are doing the same. Probably the one good thing to come from Covid, is that these students will get a better experience. Their time with me each week is far more interactive.

Now, the Prof has gone down his own route. Three x 1 hour online tutorials, and three x full-day in-person classes. Plus a load of videos and written notes for them to read.  In terms of hours this is more than if he was delivering a weekly 2-hour lecture, and far more concentrated. He feels that the students get more out of these full-day sessions where he has them doing all kinds of activities. I'm less convinced - I like students to build their knowledge in pre-set sections. Time will tell.

3 minutes ago, Suspect Device said:

Got my curriculum and timetable all sorted out now. Seem to be a lot busier than I thought I'd be. 2 lectures every day except Wednesday and 4 tutorials every week. I'm going to be busy.

That is a fair amount for a UK uni. 

When I was an exchange student in Sweden, it was Monday to Friday, 8 am to 6 pm with an hour for lunch. 

5 hours ago, scottsdad said:

That is a fair amount for a UK uni. 

When I was an exchange student in Sweden, it was Monday to Friday, 8 am to 6 pm with an hour for lunch. 

How much work did you do outside of that? We're on campus three days, but you need to spend a couple of days outside of that preparing for the next week or you'll struggle. Curious if the Swedes try to get everything done during class time.

When I was in the States, it was four or five hours a day in class, five days a week, and there was a lot of studying in the evenings to prepare for the next day. Quite a few folk had problems. There seemed to be a bit of an attitude of, "doesn't matter to us if you fail, we'll get double fees when you have to repeat next semester".

The only time in Uni that I wasn't stressed out about all the work I hadn't done was when I treated it like a 9-5 job, evenings and weekends off. If I wasn't in lectures or seminars I'd be in the library or having a smoke outside. Sadly it only lasted a few weeks.

35 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

The only time in Uni that I wasn't stressed out about all the work I hadn't done was when I treated it like a 9-5 job, evenings and weekends off. If I wasn't in lectures or seminars I'd be in the library or having a smoke outside. Sadly it only lasted a few weeks.

I'm terrified of falling behind, so I spend most of my time going over coursework, as I'd only be worrying while doing something else anyway. I was the same last time I was at college. I went to see a film a week ago, and while it was on I couldn't stop thinking about how I was going to struggle for not studying (which was bullshit).

I think most folk find it much easier to switch off when there's work still outstanding, but it just makes me miserable. Some of my classmates had terrifying amounts of work still to do last June, but somehow they still got it all done. Clearly I'm the fool here!

18 hours ago, BFTD said:

How much work did you do outside of that? We're on campus three days, but you need to spend a couple of days outside of that preparing for the next week or you'll struggle. Curious if the Swedes try to get everything done during class time.

When I was in the States, it was four or five hours a day in class, five days a week, and there was a lot of studying in the evenings to prepare for the next day. Quite a few folk had problems. There seemed to be a bit of an attitude of, "doesn't matter to us if you fail, we'll get double fees when you have to repeat next semester".

The studying was done in the evenings and weekends. There was no exam leave - a class on the Thursday, exam on the Friday. 

Very intense. I managed it OK but another student who did the exchange too gave up and went back home. 

Back at uni part time and only now finding out that I’m literally just above the threshold for a part time fee grant. Can’t wait to pull hundreds of pounds out of thin air during a cost of living crisis 🙄

Two and a half modules away from a plain BA in Management though, which I didn’t think would happen when I dropped out six years ago to take a full time job!

My Dad is planning on going back to Uni (he's 52) for a masters in Software Engineering. Awfa chuffed for him cause he's been saying he wants to do something different for years and years and hadn't been enjoying his work for a long time. He's always been good with computers and aw that shite so fair play.

Had an alright ish job but he hated the work he was doing (engineering in the aviation industry, but the only work going is contracts for military aircraft, that he morally doesn't want anything to do with.)

He's really positive about it all but I think there's a wee bit of him that's concerned about being a lot older than anyone else. He'll do grand.

Any other p&b posters gone to Uni/back to Uni much later in life? How was your experience as a "mature" student?

Edited by AuAl

4 minutes ago, AuAl said:

My Dad is planning on going back to Uni (he's 52) for a masters in Software Engineering. Awfa chuffed for him cause he's been saying he wants to do something different for years and years and hadn't been enjoying his work for a long time. He's always been good with computers and aw that shite so fair play.

Had an alright ish job but he hated the work he was doing (engineering in the aviation industry, but the only work going is contracts for military aircraft, that he morally doesn't want anything to do with.)

He's really positive about it all but I think there's a wee bit of him that's concerned about being a lot older than anyone else. He'll do grand.

Any other p&b posters gone to Uni/back to Uni much later in life? How was your experience as a "mature" student?

52 isn't all that unusual. The oldest student I had was in his 70s. Had quite a few in their 50s doing a career change.