Who's Going To Uni?

1 hour ago, Richey Edwards said:

What's the procedure for plagiarism cases?

Generally, if a student has, say, taken a research article and plagiarised it for coursework - often by paraphrasing sentences to try to evade detection by Turnitin - and the academic learns of this, then a report is made to the school discipline committee. The student is also informed. 

The committee will hold a hearing with the student. The evidence against them will be presented and the student can answer their case. In my experience, around half the time the student will own up to it and explain why they did this (usually they were stressed and ran out of time). 

If found guilty, they will usually have to resit the coursework with the grade capped at 40% (if they continued to deny), or 50% if they own up. The transcript will also show that their first attempt was failed due to academic misconduct.  

That's the case at my uni, anyway.  Other places might have their own procedures. If the misconduct is more serious (say, contract cheating) then it goes to the university discipline committee where penalties including expulsion are considered.

On 02/02/2022 at 16:44, scottsdad said:

Freshly written, and released to the students for 24 hours to download, answer and upload their answers. 24 hours is long enough for these sites to turn around a paper. 

This is being reduced to 3 hours for the next exam diet so hopefully this is the end of it. 

It’s not the end. Some uploaded exams will have solutions within 30minutes. The only surefire way to catch these fuckers is individualised examinations, which is almost impossible in most cases if the exam-setter wants a life outside of work.

18 hours ago, scottsdad said:

Generally, if a student has, say, taken a research article and plagiarised it for coursework - often by paraphrasing sentences to try to evade detection by Turnitin - and the academic learns of this, then a report is made to the school discipline committee. The student is also informed. 

The committee will hold a hearing with the student. The evidence against them will be presented and the student can answer their case. In my experience, around half the time the student will own up to it and explain why they did this (usually they were stressed and ran out of time). 

If found guilty, they will usually have to resit the coursework with the grade capped at 40% (if they continued to deny), or 50% if they own up. The transcript will also show that their first attempt was failed due to academic misconduct.  

That's the case at my uni, anyway.  Other places might have their own procedures. If the misconduct is more serious (say, contract cheating) then it goes to the university discipline committee where penalties including expulsion are considered.

You just copied that from the rules and regulations.

You're no better than they are

• 1 month later...

That'll be me just handed in my last reports of the year. Cigars and lie-ins until the end of August, by Christ  :thumsup2

Spoiler

Nah. Need to find more work to pay the bills now, but it's a lovely thought.

12 hours ago, BFTD said:

That'll be me just handed in my last reports of the year. Cigars and lie-ins until the end of August, by Christ  :thumsup2

Hide contents

Nah. Need to find more work to pay the bills now, but it's a lovely thought.

My summer jobs at uni were the best I ever had. Two summers as a roads surveyor for the council (the ultimate in skiving jobs; we couldn't work in the rain. 4 of us in a van, we'd start the day buying rolls and coffee and, importantly, a different newspaper each. Drive up north and spend the day sitting in the van, drinking coffee and reading newspapers. We passed them round when we were finished to try to stretch it out the whole day). 

One summer working in a castle. One in a furniture shop. No stress, just show up and do the hours. I do miss that kind of job sometimes, especially when I am lying in bed thinking "when I start in the morning I need to do a, b and c."

• 3 weeks later...

One more essay to submit and then six weeks of clinical placement before I finish first year.

My essay isn't due for another fortnight, but I am nearly finished it.  I am planning on finishing it, editing it then submitting it over the next couple of days so I can chill for most of the next fortnight before placement starts.

In a series of hearings today for plagiarism cases. Most of these cases were people copying websites for their exam answers. The difference here is that these are final year students. There are no resits so any student found guilty will just leave with an Ordinary degree (no Honours). This was a pretty tough day - 5 students all ended up in this situation. All will leave with no Honours degree. 

One seemed to grasp the enormity of it and was in tears in the hearing. The rest didn't seem to grasp this and thought they would somehow still get through. In fact, some parents of students in this situation have apparently been contacting the Uni senior management asking to hurry up the disciplinary process so that they can book flights and hotels etc. for the graduation ceremony. They're in for a shock. 

Roll on next year when we go back to normal, in-person invigilated exams.

2 hours ago, scottsdad said:

In a series of hearings today for plagiarism cases. Most of these cases were people copying websites for their exam answers. The difference here is that these are final year students. There are no resits so any student found guilty will just leave with an Ordinary degree (no Honours). This was a pretty tough day - 5 students all ended up in this situation. All will leave with no Honours degree. 

One seemed to grasp the enormity of it and was in tears in the hearing. The rest didn't seem to grasp this and thought they would somehow still get through. In fact, some parents of students in this situation have apparently been contacting the Uni senior management asking to hurry up the disciplinary process so that they can book flights and hotels etc. for the graduation ceremony. They're in for a shock. 

My class was told right at the start of the course that anyone caught cheating or plagarising their answers risks ejection from the course.

I am surprised anyone would be daft enough to try it, considering that there are computer programs that instantly flag up plagarised answers.

Just now, Richey Edwards said:

My class was told right at the start of the course that anyone caught cheating or plagarising their answers risks ejection from the course.

I am surprised anyone would be daft enough to try it, considering that there are computer programs that instantly flag up plagarised answers.

I’d tend to agree with you, but the arrogance and stupidity of humanity should never be underestimated

10 hours ago, scottsdad said:

Wonder if they will continue to brass neck it out. Iirc I've only been asked for my degree cert when starting my first job then in support of some visa applications (I also lost it and had to order a new one!).

But this won't necessarily be the case for most companies, and you could always chance it with the non honours certificate (who reads it anyway?) or even just go for a fake - you should have the knowledge the degree confers anyway.

Still means a life of having the sack hanging over you tho, not good at all.

• 1 month later...
1 hour ago, ICTChris said:

I see a Tory MP has posted about this piece of research.

Have any P&Bers ever published literature about wanking over anime of young boys?

D360F6C1-3AEB-403C-9599-6DB03396DEB2.png

08E6F72F-3481-40BE-BF33-F69D4CC04399.png

Saw this in the news the other day:

Pawfect for road trips! Music playlist featuring the Bee Gees, Bob Marley and Pink Floyd promises to relieve stress and anxiety in pets during long car journeys

This is an interesting story:

Oxford medical students are forced to sit their exams AGAIN after some were caught cheating

Oxford University medical students have been accused of cheating in one of their end of year exams, forcing the entire year to resit it.  

All the marks from the Objective Structured Clinical Examinations have been erased after students were alleged to have passed critical information around before the test. 

Having spent most of today in hearings, all of which relate to the same handful of courses, this caught my eye. Now, medicine is obviously a special case and they can take no chances at all, but I would imagine some students would have a case to appeal - if they didn't cheat, why should they resit? I would be raging if this was me.

But again the enemy here seems to be What's App. We have had loads of cases of students communicating with each other during the exam, sharing answers and so on using this app. It really is awful. 

Next year the open book online exams are ending for us, and students will be back in the exam hall. Cannot wait - plagiarism cases have utterly exploded since the start of the pandemic. 

5 minutes ago, scottsdad said:

But again the enemy here seems to be What's App. We have had loads of cases of students communicating with each other during the exam, sharing answers and so on using this app. It really is awful. 

I'm a bit staggered that you're allowed to take a smartphone into an exam, it's bad enough with pub quizzes.

P.S. Probably misunderstood, if they're sitting the exam online there's obviously no way of stopping it..

Edited by welshbairn

4 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

I'm a bit staggered that you're allowed to take a smartphone into an exam, it's bad enough with pub quizzes.

P.S. Probably misunderstood, if they're sitting the exam online there's obviously no way of stopping it..

Exactly - they are at home doing it all online. 

Every hearing this morning, the students said the same thing. "I saw the exam paper, then googled the question..." Seemed genuinely amazed at the suggestion that the exam was not there to assess their googling and paraphrasing skills, but their knowledge and understanding. 

Back to the exam hall next year and anyone with a smartphone in the hall will be booted out.