Accies1

Who's Going To Uni?

5 hours ago, scottsdad said:

Return of an old topic here.

I organised a lab class for my students this week. Almost half of them (42) didn't show up. I got the usual emails ("Sorry I've been ill", "My granny fell ill", "I got confused about what day it was on"). For some reason I am unseasonably mad about this, and am about to send out an email made of fire to these shirkers. 

If Aberdeen Uni (and probably every other) is anything to go by, then the undergrads are probably gripped by Fresher's Flu*

*which means they have a sniffle and think it'll make a good excuse.

Edited by Hedgecutter

7 minutes ago, scottsdad said:

Return of an old topic here.

I organised a lab class for my students this week. Almost half of them (42) didn't show up. I got the usual emails ("Sorry I've been ill", "My granny fell ill", "I got confused about what day it was on"). For some reason I am unseasonably mad about this, and am about to send out an email made of fire to these shirkers. 

Was it compulsory?

This happened to me at the start of one of my classes once. The tutor sent out an e-mail which effectively went "if you don't turn up next week you're getting grassed", that seemed to work. 

This happened to me at the start of one of my classes once. The tutor sent out an e-mail which effectively went "if you don't turn up next week you're getting grassed", that seemed to work. 

Who did the tutor threaten to grass on his students to?

12 minutes ago, NJ2 said:

Who did the tutor threaten to grass on his students to?

this was over four years ago it's not like I remember

Whoever was responsible for ensuring students turned up to things they had to turn up to to keep getting tuitions and bursaries paid, I'd assume

this was over four years ago it's not like I remember
Whoever was responsible for ensuring students turned up to things they had to turn up to to keep getting tuitions and bursaries paid, I'd assume

Hmm. I’m of the thinking this would be pointing himself out to his employers that he’s not a great tutor.

1 hour ago, NJ2 said:

Hmm. I’m of the thinking this would be pointing himself out to his employers that he’s not a great tutor.

He was fucking brilliant. This being in the second semester of 4th year I think people had stopped caring. 

Miguel Sanchez desperately white knighting for an absolute Lee Wallace and loser of an individual here.

IMG_0513.jpg

It gets worse.

Different class this time. I announced that during the tutorial, I would say a few words about their assignment (which is worth 50% of the mark). When I showed up, it was busier than usual. I thought - start with the coursework bit, which will take 10 minutes, then on to the "proper" tutorial. So I said my little bit about coursework - and then about 30 students stood up en masse and walked out. They didn't feel like staying and doing some proper work. 

Truth be told this group hardly every show up to classes, but I thought it was just ridiculous. Should have said my 10 minutes at the end of the tutorial. Make them work.

54 minutes ago, scottsdad said:

It gets worse.

Different class this time. I announced that during the tutorial, I would say a few words about their assignment (which is worth 50% of the mark). When I showed up, it was busier than usual. I thought - start with the coursework bit, which will take 10 minutes, then on to the "proper" tutorial. So I said my little bit about coursework - and then about 30 students stood up en masse and walked out. They didn't feel like staying and doing some proper work. 

Truth be told this group hardly every show up to classes, but I thought it was just ridiculous. Should have said my 10 minutes at the end of the tutorial. Make them work.

How come these folk don’t get emptied by the uni. Sounds like they are taking the piss

How come these folk don’t get emptied by the uni. Sounds like they are taking the piss

This. As a University of Life grad myself, I don’t understand how this all works but Shirley you’d only have to bin a handful before the rest of the little shits got the message. Why are these pampered snots graduating?

15 minutes ago, Shotgun said:

This. As a University of Life grad myself, I don’t understand how this all works but Shirley you’d only have to bin a handful before the rest of the little shits got the message. Why are these pampered snots graduating?

I went to college and chucked it after a year, but I agree if they can’t hack it get them punted surely their are also disrupting everyone else’s learning and wasting everyone’s time.

I assume most these kids are passing? Uni’s don’t want to be chucking kids that are passing as they help with the rankings. Again, I assume that the grants uni’s get increase with the students they have? More kids enrolled, more cash in the bank. Also, if these kids are in halls then they’re paying...it’s a tougher decision to chuck folk helping pay the bills.

10 minutes ago, NJ2 said:

I assume most these kids are passing? Uni’s don’t want to be chucking kids that are passing as they help with the rankings. Again, I assume that the grants uni’s get increase with the students they have? More kids enrolled, more cash in the bank. Also, if these kids are in halls then they’re paying...it’s a tougher decision to chuck folk helping pay the bills.

Precisely. It’s down to 2 things:

1. Keep rankings up if they’re doing well

2. £££

12 minutes ago, NJ2 said:

Again, I assume that the grants uni’s get increase with the students they have? 

Not here.  They have a capped number of home students they are allowed to take in.  Go over that and they're fined big time.

RUK fee paying students however......

Not here.  They have a capped number of home students they are allowed to take in.  Go over that and they're fined big time.
RUK fee paying students however......

What happens if they’re under a certain amount of home students? Amounts cut? I genuinely don’t know just assume they didn’t chuck c***s that barely attended (me, basically) out without very good reason.

9 minutes ago, NJ2 said:

What happens if they’re under a certain amount of home students? Amounts cut? I genuinely don’t know just assume they didn’t chuck c***s that barely attended (me, basically) out without very good reason.

They very rarely are. 

If it looks like its going to happen, they go to clearing and will let any old Hearts-supporting-Tennents-lager-supping jakey in to make the numbers up. 

3 hours ago, scottsdad said:

It gets worse.

My institution has a fairly decent attendance and engagement monitoring process. Don't show up to classes -> don't get to sit the exam.

They very rarely are. 
If it looks like its going to happen, they go to clearing and will let any old Hearts-supporting-Tennents-lager-supping jakey in to make the numbers up. 

Like a smert c**t like me went through clearing. Unconditional offer received after my grades in 5 year. Put that on your mushroom supper!
Surely if they were to turf all these folk they would be in real danger of that happening?

I used to have one class on a Wednesday morning and that was it. Even with that my attendance was patchy.