Who's Going To Uni?

Fair play to anyone going back to uni later in life. I've done a HNC, an honours degree and a PGDE and I have no intention of ever entering a classroom or lecture theatre which I am not being paid to be in. Academics never really grabbed me as a student. Was happy to be out of it.

10 hours ago, Richey Edwards said:

I start university a week on Monday.

It still hasn't quite sunk in yet, probably because I haven't been inside the uni due to COVID.

Exciting times ahead.

Huge good luck! 

The last time I was in education was Bell College in 1989 for my 2nd HNC. Not sure how much alcohol, drugs and the onset of dementia (I'm 53) will affect my ability to study.

We shall see come October I guess. I reckon taking the open university course will break me in gradually. I've heard nothing but good reports from people who have studied with them. Very good support and study materials.

14 minutes ago, Suspect Device said:

The last time I was in education was Bell College in 1989 for my 2nd HNC. Not sure how much alcohol, drugs and the onset of dementia (I'm 53) will affect my ability to study.

We shall see come October I guess. I reckon taking the open university course will break me in gradually. I've heard nothing but good reports from people who have studied with them. Very good support and study materials.

The OU was incredibly visionary - innovating distance-learning in Harold Wilson's 'white heat of technology' era - and has been a brilliant success.

Hope you enjoy it.  What'll you be studying?

11 minutes ago, The_Kincardine said:

The OU was incredibly visionary - innovating distance-learning in Harold Wilson's 'white heat of technology' era - and has been a brilliant success.

Certificate in Arts and Humanities.

Arts and humanities (A111) and Revolutions (A113).

Hopefully do well enough to be accepted to Aberdeen uni to study Film and Visual Studies with Philosophy. I think that might be a popular course so may well have to have a back up option.

16 minutes ago, The_Kincardine said:

Transferred previous credits to OU and completed my degree. Was a good experience mainly because I didn't have to interact with people 🙈

My degrees totally useless.

9 minutes ago, Suspect Device said:

Hopefully do well enough to be accepted to Aberdeen uni to study Film and Visual Studies with Philosophy. I think that might be a popular course so may well have to have a back up option.

I took my eldest back to Sheffield yesterday and she's starting an MA in Global History next month.  She talked me through the syllabus and I'd love to do it - as long as it only involved lectures and tutorials.  I couldn't be arsed doing essays and dissertations these days.

BUT best wishes.  "Film and Visual Studies with Philosophy" would be a cracking degree to study.

7 minutes ago, RH33 said:

Transferred previous credits to OU and completed my degree. Was a good experience mainly because I didn't have to interact with people 🙈

My degrees totally useless.

I've a 2.1 in Theology.

17 minutes ago, Suspect Device said:

I'd check out the philosophy syllabus before committing, modern philosophy can be as hard core as maths, pure logic. I prefer the more whimsical earlier stuff. But if it's combined with Film and Visual Studies you should be fine.

26 minutes ago, Suspect Device said:

That sounds class, mate. If I ever go back I'd like to do Film Studies or Sociology. A friend of mine graduated recently after doing a Film Studies degree and wrote his dissertation on Hereditary. He also told me that a lecturer once told him "you have to realise that to Quentin Tarantino, the foot is a vagina." Money well spent, imo.

4 hours ago, NotThePars said:

That sounds class, mate. If I ever go back I'd like to do Film Studies or Sociology. A friend of mine graduated recently after doing a Film Studies degree and wrote his dissertation on Hereditary. He also told me that a lecturer once told him "you have to realise that to Quentin Tarantino, the foot is a vagina." Money well spent, imo.

i get that, i mind coming across this channel somehow through the rabbit hole, genuinely really enjoy most of the videos on there (if nothing else a lot of them are excellent background noise to help me drift off to sleep so you might get some use out of it that way, ha.

it surprised me a lot just how much thought went into Die Hard when on a surface level viewing its just an entertaining action movie quipfest, but then you hear McTiernan say he made it with A Midsummer Night's Dream in mind and its like "oh. Ohhhhh, that's neat"

21 hours ago, Suspect Device said:

My wife did an OU course. It was excellent. This last year, campus based universities have gone online but with nothing like the experience, quality or support levels that the OU can offer. 

Had a meeting yesterday where one of the lecturers was in a teaching room. It had had fancy new cameras installed and microphones. As he walked about the camera followed him. It was really good - I thought, if we have this in every room, then this is perfectly doable. We can have students in person and at home, but all part of the same class.

Three rooms have been set up in this way. For the rest, we've been told to bring laptops and broadcast using Teams of Collab Ultra. It's not going to be so great...

5 minutes ago, scottsdad said:

Had a meeting yesterday where one of the lecturers was in a teaching room. It had had fancy new cameras installed and microphones. As he walked about the camera followed him. It was really good - 

Three rooms have been set up in this way. For the rest, we've been told to bring laptops and broadcast using Teams of Collab Ultra. It's not going to be so great...

0D8DDB7D-E535-408E-B71D-4F126B713A95.jpeg

Well, I suspected as much, but I'm fucking ancient. Double the age of everyone in my classes, and I'm yet to see anyone older than me on campus who isn't obviously staff.

I don't really mind, it's just a shock to the system to realise your peers are so very, very young, with so much to live for and their entire lives stretching ahead of them like the road from Chicago to Santa Monica...

Alright, maybe I do mind a little  :angry:

29 minutes ago, BFTD said:

Well, I suspected as much, but I'm fucking ancient. Double the age of everyone in my classes, and I'm yet to see anyone older than me on campus who isn't obviously staff.

I don't really mind, it's just a shock to the system to realise your peers are so very, very young, with so much to live for and their entire lives stretching ahead of them like the road from Chicago to Santa Monica...

Alright, maybe I do mind a little  :angry:

What uni are you at? Most haven't started yet. 

2 minutes ago, scottsdad said:

What uni are you at? Most haven't started yet. 

Stirling, although it's run through Forth Valley College to start with.

Depending on how many courses they run together, I may have inadvertently outed myself to somebody there  :lol:

Just now, BFTD said:

Stirling, although it's run through Forth Valley College to start with.

Depending on how many courses they run together, I may have inadvertently outed myself to somebody there  :lol:

Often the best way. My hardest working students are ones who came in via college. Best of luck! 

1 minute ago, scottsdad said:

Often the best way. My hardest working students are ones who came in via college. Best of luck! 

That'll be me. I worked pretty damned hard last time I was in full-time education anyway, but I'm terrified that this is last-chance saloon and that I'll f**k it up.

The new campus in Falkirk looks nice, and I'm really liking the outline of the classes we've had so far  :thumsup2

20 hours ago, BFTD said:

That'll be me. I worked pretty damned hard last time I was in full-time education anyway, but I'm terrified that this is last-chance saloon and that I'll f**k it up.

The new campus in Falkirk looks nice, and I'm really liking the outline of the classes we've had so far  :thumsup2

I have been to that campus three times - once for a meeting and twice to get my vaccine. It is excellent. The old campus was well past it - my dad was there in the 60s. 

Generally speaking, students who come to uni from college look at their timetables and think "10 hours of classes, eh? That's 30 hours in the library then." The students who come from school often look at the same timetable and see 10 hours of classes, and 30 hours to do whatever they like.