Who's Going To Uni?

Guest honestrae95

I'm a Geography teacher. If I've got the percentages wrong I've been peddling duff info to pupils for a couple of years. :lol:

The mapwork question was as straightforward as it was going to get. I thought it was particularly well explained as to what factors to consider. I remember a few years back the question was about the placement of a sewage works/dump and although if you're doing AH, you've got to be semi competent, but you still had to have some 'background' knowledge as to what the specific location factors would be.

The spearman's rank question was also a gift. Of all the potential stats questions, that's definitely the easiest.

As all my class did river studies, the final question was ideal too. From speaking to them, I don't think they answered it as well as they could have because they over thought it, but their answers should still be decent enough.

EDIT - For the last question, which two measurements did you choose?

Haha I thought you were my age, never mind!

I did velocity and river depth for the last one and then said Spearman Rank could be used in the C part of that question.

Mapping was brilliant, I placed my area just East of Llandoiles or however the feck you spell it.

I got an A in my prelim and am predicted an A with my two projects. However as you said, it's a bit of a lottery as to what marker you get and whether or not they think your stuffs good or not.

Apparently my results are out tomorrow, well I never. :lol:

On another note, anyone ever have to talk to the external examiners. I got a call from my course leader saying he wants someone to talk to them about the course. Mind you I don't even know if I'll make it, since I've been cited for bloody jury duty. Still he said its only an hour long an there refreshments after it.

Apparently my results are out tomorrow, well I never. :lol:

On another note, anyone ever have to talk to the external examiners. I got a call from my course leader saying he wants someone to talk to them about the course. Mind you I don't even know if I'll make it, since I've been cited for bloody jury duty. Still he said its only an hour long an there refreshments after it.

You're at Napier as well, aye? I didn't think our results were out for at least another week. :huh:

You're at Napier as well, aye? I didn't think our results were out for at least another week. :huh:

Yeah, they've changed it on the exam page. It was saying 11th of June I think. Obviously got it done quicker. Or that's what I read it as.

Yeah, they've changed it on the exam page. It was saying 11th of June I think. Obviously got it done quicker. Or that's what I read it as.

I thought it was the 11th of June as well.

Aaaah f**k, at times like this I wish I'd bothered to turn up to class and do a bit of revision. Out of the 60 possible tutorials/lectures, I think I went to about 7 or 8. Had an online test for one module worth 10% of the overall grade, but I forgot to sit in the given time limit. I also turned up for an exam 5 minutes late, but they still let me in. Nutters.

I got a 2:1, pretty happy with that but would be interested to know how close I was to a first as I had felt it was achievable.

It doesn't make much difference though - I'm into the PGDE and that's the important thing.

Is that secondary school level music you're looking to teach?

I've been considering going on to teach chemistry and thought about using this year (graduate in the summer) to earn some money whilst doing wee voluntary shadow work here and there.

What sort and how much experience did you accumulate before applying? Any advice?

Edited by JogaBonito

Got my results yesterday, well on my way to a 2:1. One poor result has made my chances of getting a first quite slim, although it is still achievable. :(

ONE mark in a project (17/20 rather than an 18/20) cost me a First. Still seething about it 7 years on. The difference in effort between that and scraping a 2:1 is massive (imo).

Got a B2 in history this semester. Got an A5 last semester so barring a disaster I should be fine for getting into honours

Just need to wait for the rest of my results now

Sent from my HTC Desire HD A9191 using Pie & Bovril mobile app

Being a PhD student is indeed awful. My day so far has consisted of writing a computer program by putting together bits of my existing code, then leaving it to run. I followed that up by watching some cricket on the TV and playing Football Manager before going out a run. I'm just about to make my lunch and then I think I'll go and walk into the city and enjoy the sunshine. It's OK though - I'm still "working" because my computer programme is still running and testing out a possible new modelling approach. And I'm being paid to do this. Brutal stuff.

Being a PhD student is indeed awful. My day so far has consisted of writing a computer program by putting together bits of my existing code, then leaving it to run. I followed that up by watching some cricket on the TV and playing Football Manager before going out a run. I'm just about to make my lunch and then I think I'll go and walk into the city and enjoy the sunshine. It's OK though - I'm still "working" because my computer programme is still running and testing out a possible new modelling approach. And I'm being paid to do this. Brutal stuff.

Just you wait. I once had a supervisor meeting on christmas day as it was about the only time we were both in the country and available.

Found out yesterday that I got a first. Beasted the final year exams with an 81.5% average.

Rather chuffed.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Pie & Bovril mobile app

Got my last exam result back today. Despite studying almost exclusively for this topic, and it being (up until now at least) the subject I am far better at than my others, I did disastrously. Came out of the exam thinking it had gone perfectly, genuinely thrilled by how well it had all gone, yet somehow managed to get by far the worst result of my life.

Very surprised by this, did better in my third subject that I hardly studied for.

Doesn't make any difference really, effectively just needed to pass it, but cannot understand how I got such a poor grade for an exam I thought had gone so perfectly. Might be worth getting a breakdown of my grade to find out what went wrong.

Stage one: denial :P

I got my results in today too, no email or anything, we're apparently all meant to guess and then publicise over facebook. I got straight As this year, getting a comfortable first. One I thought would be higher, but there you go, only needed the 2:1 for my job anyway. 10 As and 1 B from 11 courses though, considering I was getting Bs and Cs in first and second year, is a surprising step up.

Stage one: denial :P

I got my results in today too, no email or anything, we're apparently all meant to guess and then publicise over facebook. I got straight As this year, getting a comfortable first. One I thought would be higher, but there you go, only needed the 2:1 for my job anyway. 10 As and 1 B from 11 courses though, considering I was getting Bs and Cs in first and second year, is a surprising step up.

What is your job that you are moving onto?