Who's Going To Uni?

Just finished my last exam today. So happy - wee 4 month summer :)

Pretty sure I've done well in history and politics and I should've done enough to pass Italian so hopefully no resits

Sent from my HTC Desire HD A9191 using Pie & Bovril mobile app

Just out of curiosity, what kind of Italian exam did you have? You're at Glasgow and not Strathclyde am I correct?

I did Psychology in first year and planning on keeping it for second year. At the start I found it pretty hard but once I got to grips with it I started to enjoy it as it's a pretty interesting subject, to me anyway. It required a lot more work than Business and Economics though, with an essay, 3 labs, a lab report and the exam each semester.

Also the guy saying History is more useful or prestigious or whatever, I'm not sure about that tbh. Supras is right when he says it's more something which tends to lead people to future study rather than into immediate employment, in my experience of knowing people with a History degree.

Edited by Honest_Man#1

My friend does History at Bath University and is up just now since he finished his exams. The standard of research that goes into an essay for History is nowhere near the standard that psych essays/reports require.

Again, how can you possibly know this? Have you done his research for him and written his essays?

A guy I work with has a degree in Psychology and he said it was a piece of piss.

Because I've seen some of the work he has done and he even compounds the claim that the research methods and the standard of research is of a higher calibre in Psychology.

Of course, this will boil down to a matter of opinion.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Pie & Bovril mobile app

Edited by SweeperDee

It's uninformed opinion though. I'm sure you will find History graduates or students who will be able to tell you their degree requires much more analyisis and research than Psychology.

Unless you have studied both, successfully, your opinion is meaningless. And I include myself here too. I might think certain degrees would be exceptionally easy, but I don't really know, given I only have one.

It's uninformed opinion though. I'm sure you will find History graduates or students who will be able to tell you their degree requires much more analyisis and research than Psychology.

Unless you have studied both, successfully, your opinion is meaningless. And I include myself here too. I might think certain degrees would be exceptionally easy, but I don't really know, given I only have one.

And you will find Psychology students who say the opposite, we're both uniformed here so let's leave it at that.

Fair enough.

To go back to the original question, I think it's a good thing kids are looking at the value of a degree in terms of its worth in the jobs market before doing it. It's not the be all and end all, and you should try to enjoy what you do, but it is an important factor.

Part of it probably depends on how long you want to be there too. If you want to go into academia longer term, then obviously it makes more sense to do something enjoyable than if you just want a 4 year skive, and have a good chance of getting a fairly well paid job at the end of it.

I think it's fair to say both History and Psychology fit into the mid-range of subjects academically.

Because I've seen some of the work he has done and he even compounds the claim that the research methods and the standard of research is of a higher calibre in Psychology.

I've done research methods for Politics and research methods for Work Psychology. There is very little difference in what requires the most work, it's down to the individual.

I've done research methods for Politics and research methods for Work Psychology. There is very little difference in what requires the most work, it's down to the individual.

That's what I was thinking too. Everyone has different methods of researching stuff. And it probably depends on who is marking the output as to what their standards are too, in terms of expectations.

I think the best advice is to do whatever you think you'll enjoy the most. There's nothing worse being stuck in a course that you hate, you could always transfer once you're in uni, but that's a hassle most people could do without. Research the degrees you're looking at, and pick the one you feel you'd like. Most organisations don't look at what kind of degree you have unless it is a very specific job role such as a doctor/accountant/scientist that type of thing, they just look for the actual result of your degree.

If you enjoy History, pick History, it's a cracking subject to get involved in no matter the university you choose to take it at and there are many paths you can go down in a subject like that. It's quite generic as well, much more so than Criminology is. I'd suggest only to pick Criminology if that was the route you definitely wanted to take in the future.

I found changing subject quite easy actually. And I really completed my degree in 3 years instead of 4. One of my friends tried the same switch the next year and was refused :lol:

My friend does History at Bath University and is up just now since he finished his exams. The standard of research that goes into an essay for History is nowhere near the standard that psych essays/reports require.

I've done history as well, and whilst it's a subject I enjoy, I didn't especially enjoy studying it at University. And, whilst I obviously haven't done both (or either) as full degrees from my experience of knowing both people from history and psychology, psychology is a lot more work.

I landed on my feet in the sense that I actually loved the course I ended up doing. Much moreso than politics or history.

Just finished my last exam today. So happy - wee 4 month summer :)

Pretty sure I've done well in history and politics and I should've done enough to pass Italian so hopefully no resits

Just out of curiosity, what kind of Italian exam did you have? You're at Glasgow and not Strathclyde am I correct?

Ye I'm at Glasgow. It was level 1 beginners Italian. Lasts the 2 semesters and basically teaches the language from scratch. Good if you're hoping to study the language further or if like me you just wanna learn the language.

I'd been meaning to learn again for years and this forced me into it. Gave me no way to escape it :P

Nonsense. Psychology in terms of producing academic writing and research is extremely difficult and if you can produce scientific reports that are required for Psychology then those select and acute skills far outweigh anything history offers.

Do Psychology reports allow the garbled nonsense that constitutes your last sentence? If so then it doesn't seem to be 'selecting and acuting'[sic] much at all.

Sounds like the bog-standard review of a terrible student. Much like the earlier 'Uni is really easy, but I got a 2:1' chat.

Hello.

I saw this thread come up and thought it could be of interest to many of you.

I am looking to launch my new business project into a number of different avenues, and I think college/university students is one which will thrive with this opportunity. I'd like to point out I have no specific target group as I would not want to be seen discounting one group or another, anyone is welcome to find out more.

If anyone has the wish for additional income on a part time/often as you like basis get in touch.

Nonsense. Psychology in terms of producing academic writing and research is extremely difficult and if you can produce scientific reports that are required for Psychology then those select and acute skills far outweigh anything history offers.

Do Psychology reports allow the garbled nonsense that constitutes your last sentence? If so then it doesn't seem to be 'selecting and acuting'[sic] much at all.

Sounds like the bog-standard review of a terrible student. Much like the earlier 'Uni is really easy, but I got a 2:1' chat.

No because I'm not always typing in academic language you baboon. :lol:

And in regards to your wee spiel at the end there; I have no idea what you are on about.

No because I'm not always typing in academic language you baboon.  :lol:

First time I've heard 'English' being described as 'academic language'. Not the sharpest tool in the box? 

You must think abbreviations are allowed in Psychology reports. Bless. :lol:

Common vernacular is not permissible in a psychology report.

Is the phrase:

then those select and acute skills far outweigh anything

acceptable in Psychology? A simple yes or no answer will suffice.

I know it wouldn't be acceptable in History, or any other subject that requires a basic grasp of the English language. Better luck next time I guess.

That isn't exclusive to Psychology. You get reprimanded for using abbreviations such as "It's" (etc) in most essays, never mind reports. So, in the immortal words of P&B, sit down.

Is the phrase:

then those select and acute skills far outweigh anything

acceptable in Psychology? A simple yes or no answer will suffice.

I know it wouldn't be acceptable in History, or any other subject that requires a basic grasp of the English language. Better luck next time I guess. 

The select(as in specific and unique) and acute skills that are gained when you have to produce numerous psychology reports are a lot better and transferable than history.

Quote in context please.

And of course not, my writing style on here is far more relaxed than it would be in an academic piece of writing.

My A band 1 in higher English and B at Advanced higher must mean I have no grasp of the English language at all according to you. :lol:

That isn't exclusive to Psychology.  You get reprimanded for using abbreviations such as "It's" (etc) in most essays, never mind reports.  So, in the immortal words of P&B, sit down.

Do most degrees and disciplines use APA reference and formatting?

It's a bloody pain in the arse compared to Harvard referencing /formatting that the majority of social sciences use.