Who's Going To Uni?

Applied for Sport (business) Management at Sunderland, Northumbria, Manchester, Leeds and Sheffield Hallam.

So far had offers from Sunderland, Northumbria and Manchester. Assuming I hit the requirements, I think i'll be off to Sunderland. Only there and Manchester do the Sandwich course which is desirable for me, and after spending the first 10 years of my life in Manchester, i'd probably rather cut my bollocks off than go back there. Northumbria was the hardest of those mentioned to get in to and I think hardest for the course I wanted to take, so I've done fairly well to get an offer :)

• 2 weeks later...

Im awaiting offers from UWS, Stirling and Edinburgh Napier.

UWS for sports journalism, the other two for journalism

For every 100 students at Napier about 4 of them are Scottish. I'll be fluent in Bulgarian by the time I graduate. That's if I don't pack it in.

It's also fucking shite.

Stirling have emailed me some codswallop about an "applicant day". Naturally I'd have absolutely f**k all desire to go to such a pointless function, but the email does say: " The Applicant Days will also provide additional information that will help you progress through the application process."

Is this true? Will not going affect my chances of the application being successful?

edit: I applied for Computer Science, if it makes any difference.

Edited by McKee

Stirling have emailed me some codswallop about an "applicant day". Naturally I'd have absolutely f**k all desire to go to such a pointless function, but the email does say: " The Applicant Days will also provide additional information that will help you progress through the application process."

Is this true? Will not going affect my chances of the application being successful?

edit: I applied for Computer Science, if it makes any difference.

Could be wrong here but I think it's just an opportunity to learn a bit more about the Uni and your course itself, which was pretty useful IMO. They also take you a tour of the campus and let you see inside the halls and are helpful when answering any questions you have.

Also on a side note - first year computer science is a piece of piss.

So just a stupid way of saying 'Open Day' then?

I'll second the above saying these are really useful. I was pretty much set on Edinburgh until I got given a tour of the campuses there and at Aberdeen / Strathclyde. Edinburgh then dropped to the bottom of the preference list.

So just a stupid way of saying 'Open Day' then?

Well, they're a bit more "tailored" than an open-day.

When I went on one (was it really 7 years ago now...jings), it involved the usual tours of relevant buildings but also went into a lot more detail about what the course would involve. To use the fishing metaphor, by applying they had me biting; the applicant day was trying to reel me in.

I also had a meeting with the lecturer who would, if I went there, be my advisor of studies and he gave me advance notice of what sort of offers they'd be making me.

So like you say, it can be beneficial to attend.

As The Master said, they are different from an open day. An open day is a general introduction to the uni, whereas an applicant day is for those that have already applied. You will get the detailed tour of the building, but in Stirling, you'll get to speak to the staff, and also sometimes (in our dept anyway) senior undergrads, so you can ask detailed questions, and get an idea of what studying will be like.

Its well worth going!

For my course they had an initiation day for those who had been made an offer to get more information about the Law School's curriculum, extra-curriculars, support network, dedicated library, etc). It was nothing like an open day where you just get herded about the gym complex being told 'this is an exercise bike' followed by the library 'this is a bookshelf'

As The Master said, they are different from an open day. An open day is a general introduction to the uni, whereas an applicant day is for those that have already applied. You will get the detailed tour of the building, but in Stirling, you'll get to speak to the staff, and also sometimes (in our dept anyway) senior undergrads, so you can ask detailed questions, and get an idea of what studying will be like.

Its well worth going!

Hmmm...

My 'Open Day' (advertised this way by the dept.) involved going around the Engineering Dept and seeing the facilities, sitting in on a lecture going through the course details plus getting shown where the Halls, Library etc later on by some student that had volunteered to do so, probably adding it to her CV later thinking potential employers would give a damn. I just saw that as a standard open day.

For every 100 students at Napier about 4 of them are Scottish. I'll be fluent in Bulgarian by the time I graduate. That's if I don't pack it in.

It's also fucking shite.

Depends on your course, most of Merchiston is British fold, at least 80% of my course are Scottish.

Quick question. Applied for a college course starting in August. How long will it roughly take before I hear back either way? Its at Cardonald.

I imagine you'll be invited along for an interview within the next couple of months. Best of luck bud!

I received a conditional offer to study Management (third year point of entry) at Caley. Fairly certain I'll get the grades required in my HND, so I'm pretty happy as I never expected to go to university.