Who's Going To Uni?

We have a meeting every week, we meet up with individual group mentors who are fifth years to do small projects and we can ask them questions (really good idea btw) but he was asking us today about our exams and naturally I told him that we had the four in five days and he suggested that we email the year advisor and the class lecturer to ask if maybe one of them could be moved (I've got them Monday, Wednesday, Thursday and Friday so probably the Thursday one.) Has anyone ever done this? Any success?

f**k you University of Glasgow <_<

The exam timetable's out. Exams are spread fairly evenly but...

I have exams at the absolute start and end of the diet, and the only afternoon exam I have clashes with the final day home game at Firhill against Raith Rovers :angry: by the time I get out the exam and up to Firhill there would be a max 20 minutes left of the game. I have 2 Saturday exams and 3 9:30 exams.

Poltiics 2B - Wednesday 28th April 9:30-11:30 <_<

Commercial Law - Saturday 7th May 14:00-16:00 :angry:

Business Organisations - Saturday 14th May 9:30-11:30 <_<

Property Law - Wednesday 18th May 9:30-11:30 <_<

I'm looking at the exam timetable now, and it only seems to have 7 out of my 8 exams on it. They've also managed to give us 2 on the same day, despite not having any in the entire first week and a half.

Mine will actually be in Statistics. I'll be looking at the spatial and temporal patterns of disease in Greater Glasgow.

Make sure it's accurate because no doubt the lecturers will be using in the future for us. :P

Got my exam timetable today:

CS1P Lab exam - 19th April

CS1P exam - 26th April

Stats - 10th May

Maths - 13th May

CS1Q - 16th May

Wish CS1Q was in the gap between CS1P and Stats to get that subject over and done with but not bad. Still not had a Saturday exam allowing me to attend the more important events that occur on Saturdays.

Of the (nearly) Doctors on here, I believe Renton is almost at the end, Gordon EF was doing one, I'm failing miserably at one, and The Master is also (presumably) having a hissy fit through his! Err, if you need advice, its probably best not asking any of us...

Sounds like a right Rouges gallery, I wouldn't go them for anything.

And even I remember that Master thing, it's kinda sad I've probably read 60-70% of the posts on this thread dry.gif

My exam timetable is baws yet again, for the second semester in a row I have two in two days. I think they are exploiting the fact no one besides me has ever done to these two corresponding subjects.

Politics = As Ad Lib stated earlier. Exams are 9:30 are pish. I just don't wake up that early and will likely be feeling absolutely shit having drank too much red bull. I genuinely think it will have an adverse effect on my grade. I wouldn't surprise politics always gets a shit time because everyone in the department is a pot smoking hippy b*****d dry.gif. Their lectures are at 9 and the attendance is - apparently - horrendous.

Business 2B : Monday 9th May 9:30 - 11:30. Again my most important exam and another shit time. Last semester it was 9:30 as well.

Business 1B : Tuesday 10th May 2-4. Better time, but unlike last semesters exam this is not some pish MCQ test that is only worth 20%. And I have simply not attended any of the lectures for this course and the tutor at the five tutorials struggled badly with her English. It's 70% and my assignment was probably quite pish, it's a potential banana skin, even if it's only a first year course.

You okay for source material on Darien?

Yeah I'm good for that, but the secondary sources are a problem, because Allan Macinnes runs the course and his interpretation of the period differs wildly from the majority of mainstream texts.

After asking SAAS to suspend my payments while I withdraw from Uni - I seem to be, not at my request, back on the pay-role with this mob having discovered a bizarre £1,530 payment in my account.

I'll keep it if I'm allowed - I need to know however, if SAAS will ask for immediate repayment or they'll just add this nonsense to my debt (and take the interest on it) unless I choose myself to hand it back?

HRM lecture cancelled again tomorrow due to strike action. My History tutorial will probably be cancelled as well. That is annoying but it means I can concentrate on my essays that need to be finished for next week.

I've just had to do my 1st year* "Transfer of Ordinance" viva to officially turn me into a PhD student. It's an hour of sheer panic followed by a mixture of joy and relief when you're told "It all seems fine, I'll make the recommendation for you to transfer".

*I've been here 18 months...

Edited by The Master

I went to an applicants day at the University of Glasgow today and the university itself seems really nice, and the course seems right up my street but the first year accommodation looked dire.

Went on a bus up to a tour in a place called Morano halls (or something along those lines, I think it began with an M) and the bus took us to a place which looked quite a walk from the uni and a fair bit away from anything of note. Didn't see any high streets or shops other than a supermarket or even any bars in the immediate vicinity.

That on top of the fact the rooms themselves looked like prison cells.

The university itself I really like, and I like the location within Glasgow, but the accommodation tour put me off seeking uni accommodation.

Anyone know how easy it is to organise a private share flat with other students? I don't know anyone in Glasgow or anyone else who is applying so I'm sort of going in blind.

Edited by jmothecat

I've just had to do my 1st year* "Transfer of Ordinance" viva to officially turn me into a PhD student. It's an hour of sheer panic followed by a mixture of joy and relief when you're told "It all seems fine, I'll make the recommendation for you to transfer".

*I've been here 18 months...

Mine took well over a year to go through too, started in November 2007, went through in August 2009. Various cockups and administrative failures delayed me, how about you?

Anyone know how easy it is to organise a private share flat with other students? I don't know anyone in Glasgow or anyone else who is applying so I'm sort of going in blind.

Almost all first year uni accommodation anywhere is dire. But just man up and go in halls, thats where you make your friends!

I went to an applicants day at the University of Glasgow today and the university itself seems really nice, and the course seems right up my street but the first year accommodation looked dire.

Went on a bus up to a tour in a place called Morano halls (or something along those lines, I think it began with an M) and the bus took us to a place which looked quite a walk from the uni and a fair bit away from anything of note. Didn't see any high streets or shops other than a supermarket or even any bars in the immediate vicinity.

The university itself I really like, and I like the location within Glasgow, but the accommodation tour put me off seeking uni accommodation.

Unite My link have a number of locations around the city. I used them about 9 years ago and found them to be fine.

Almost all first year uni accommodation anywhere is dire. But just man up and go in halls, thats where you make your friends!

I've been to ones in Strathclyde and Dundee which seemed alright. They shouldn't be prison cells when you move in because you should have a shitload of drinking to be done in the big communal living space.

I liked AKD, had a great times and the rooms where small but they where bright and there was plenty around. The Morano place was outside anything interesting and the rooms looked dark and depressing.

Unite My link have a number of locations around the city. I used them about 9 years ago and found them to be fine.

Cheers, have a green dot.

There's a bit on the university website where other students have advertised that they are looking for flatmates. I think it would be better to stay in halls certainly in 1st year anyway. As has been said already the people who stay in halls tend to make more friends.

Here A lot more expensive than halls.

Edited by buddie06smfc

There's a bit on the university website where other students have advertised that they are looking for flatmates. I think it would be better to stay in halls certainly in 1st year anyway. As has been said already the people who stay in halls tend to make more friends.

Here A lot more expensive than halls.

Thanks.

Just looked on the Glasgow Uni website at other locations of halls and they seem to be closer to the uni and closer to the city center/high streets and facilities so might have a look at them next time I'm in Glasgow.

I could potentially commute through from here. Could keep my current flat and as it stands rent plus bills is less here than the price of halls seems to be.

I liked AKD, had a great times and the rooms where small but they where bright and there was plenty around. The Morano place was outside anything interesting and the rooms looked dark and depressing.

Cheers, have a green dot.

I used them from 2nd year onwards. I did first year twice as I changed courses and stayed in halls both years. My friend was screwed over by a non paying flatmate so I didn't want to go into a flat share, wanted somewhere where I paid my bill and that was it.

Most uni's have an accommodation service that will be able to point you in the right direction, mainly folk that are looking for people to flat share with someone else. There are also lots of notice boards about with people looking for flatmates. Then there is always the likes of Gumtree and other websites of that like that if you use a bit of common sense are safe to use and fairly straight forward in getting a place to share.

I could potentially commute through from here. Could keep my current flat and as it stands rent plus bills is less here than the price of halls seems to be.

I wouldn't recommend commuting that far, between the transport costs and distance it will be a massive incentive to just not bother your arse going to classes.

I thought the Morano Street halls were alright whenever I've been in them. The kitchen bit is shite but other than that they were alright.

I've been to ones in Strathclyde and Dundee which seemed alright. They shouldn't be prison cells when you move in because you should have a shitload of drinking to be done in the big communal living space.

Indeed.