Who's Going To Uni?

Someone also said to me today that one of their friends is in either 4th or 5th year(can't remember which) but it's their final year or at least an important year and they have the same sort of timetable as me, ie 4 in 5 days. That's just ridiculous. I don't really mind too much about mine since they aren't massively important, although they matter it's not paramount that I get an A in these exams. For people in their final year it's way harsh, IMO.

If you get more than 55% from all your tutorial essays and your final essay before the exam combined, you get exempt from the HRM exam in first year.

How many tutorial essays do you have?

I don't think Glasgow does exemptions. For Law subjects tutorials are mostly just preparatory work, and you have between 1 and 3 bits of coursework over term-time followed by exams at the relevant diet making up % of your grade. In Politics you had a tutorial grade which was basically how you performed there accounting for 10%, an essay at 30% of your grade (you could do an optional 2nd and they'd count the best of the two) then a final exam in the diet at 60%.

Had my first all nigther (I say all nighter, eventually fell asleep at some ridiculous time) to finish an assignment that was due in today for Macroeconomics. Totally underestimated the volue of work that was needed for something only worth 15%. Wont be making a habit of doing that!

How many tutorial essays do you have?

I think over the two semesters it is 8 or 9 tutorial essays. Not much really but I haven't worked particularly hard in HRM because (ironically) I haven't been motivated thus far. It is interesting but if I'm honest I'm quite lazy most of the time.

I think over the two semesters it is 8 or 9 tutorial essays. Not much really but I haven't worked particularly hard in HRM because (ironically) I haven't been motivated thus far. It is interesting but if I'm honest I'm quite lazy most of the time.

Bloody hell how long are they?

Politics is an actual piss-take at Glasgow as far as workload is concerned. In first year it was 1 course essay (word limit 1650 [including bibliography :blink: ]) and one tutorial presentation per semester, followed by a 2 essay exam each semester. 2nd year the same except the course essays are 2000 words (excluding bibliography :) ) and you can do an optional second one.

Law is pretty basic when it comes to summative work. Some courses (usually 10 credit courses) will just be a 3000 ish word course essay with an optional diagnostic which doesn't count towards the final grade). Others are entirely exam based or mostly exam with a course essay (usually 10 or 20 credit courses) and the large (30 or 40 credit courses) will be 2 or 3 course components and a final exam.

If you're having to do a tutorial essay every 2-3 weeks per subject though, that's pretty rough.

We got the class questionaires last week for our Science class and I wrote that the only thing wrong with the class was that the room for it was really shit, stuffy and uncomfortable. My friends gave me a bit of stick for it, saying it wasn't exactly relevant for a class questionaire. Then we got an email with this in it:

"I just wanted to say thanks for your replies to the mid-term questionnaire. The majority of you have pointed out that the room was unsuitable (too hot, uncomfortable desks) and that it didn't help during the lecture for CL211. You have also pointed out that for the CE students there was a 3 hours gap between the hydrology class and the previous lecture on Friday. I was aware of none of the above."

I am yet to receive thanks from my friends dry.gif They've also moved that class to Wednesdays so I only have an hour of maths on a Friday morning at 9 then I'm off, bit shit that I need to come all the way in just for an hour, and it's the tutorial so attendance is monitored, but it's cool that I'll be home by about 10.30 biggrin.gif

Got to hand in a maths assignment for tomorrow morning though and I've got a lab report for Monday.

And finally, my exams have been posted. I'm in on the 16th, 18th, 19th and 20th of May, that's right. Exam on the Monday, Wednesday, Thursday and Friday of that week sad.gif At least Science(which is the hardest class for me) is the first one so I will have that whole weekend to study for it. Maths is on the Friday though and I find that the second hardest. Guess It'll give me the "fear".

Someone just posted this on one of my friends wall on FB

‎"As there have been some complaints about room RC 3.45 and as it is not suitable for doing project work, CL211 Fluid Mechanics & Hydraulics has now been moved to Colville 5.12,"

You are welcome, without my complaint we would still be in that shitty room.

Is it you?

Even if it isn't - small world.

edit - having looked at the page a wee bit, I'm almost certain it is you. Say hi to Ally for me will you ;)

Edited by Mushroom

Bloody hell how long are they?

Politics is an actual piss-take at Glasgow as far as workload is concerned. In first year it was 1 course essay (word limit 1650 [including bibliography :blink: ]) and one tutorial presentation per semester, followed by a 2 essay exam each semester. 2nd year the same except the course essays are 2000 words (excluding bibliography :) ) and you can do an optional second one.

Well yeah, I've went to 3, 4 lectures the entire term and I got a B1 in the essay, and I thought it was total bullshit. In fact this entire semester is total bullshit, it has put me off doing politics.

Melbourne University has 'take home exams' and a month long 'non teaching period' which both sound very promising. Accommodation is far more expensive than I initially thought as well, I am looking at £600 a month for a single bed and a wash basin.

Someone just posted this on one of my friends wall on FB

Is it you?

Even if it isn't - small world.

edit - having looked at the page a wee bit, I'm almost certain it is you. Say hi to Ally for me will you ;)

Yeah it's me!! Does he know you're a Clyde fan? Probably doesn't cause it would've come up since he knows I'm one. It is indeed a small world.

It's hell in 3rd year ;)

By contrast, fourth year isn't too bad - especially if you do two numerical subjects and don't have to do a dissertation :D

Yeah it's me!! Does he know you're a Clyde fan? Probably doesn't cause it would've come up since he knows I'm one. It is indeed a small world.

He probably knows, but he's not really interested in football so it didn't tend to come up much.

He also probably doesn't know how rare it is to know two Clyde fans completely independently of each other.

It's hell in 3rd year ;)

Really? Granted I pissed around Europe for the first semester, but third year at Strathclyde seems really, really straightforward. Two essays to do, one of which I'm halfway through for the 21st, one to start for the 31st, and a research proposal for the 1st May. A bit more expected for each assignment but nothing unreasonable in my experience, so far...