Who's Going To Uni?

Does anyone know easy it is to transfer university or apply to a good one this late?

I've finally decided I'm sick of Dundee. I really hate the city and want to move.

I'm not sure what you mean by that, I don't think university transfers are common and so I'd suspect now you'd have to start again at clearing (just a suspicion though, not fact).

I suspect there might be a little bit more to it than just loathing Dundee... anyway I vaguely knew a few people who did their first years at Stirling and switched to do courses at other universities. I don't know if they did the same thing or anything but its not all that uncommon and I am sure it can be done. Phone up UCAS or something.

Does anyone know easy it is to transfer university or apply to a good one this late?

I've finally decided I'm sick of Dundee. I really hate the city and want to move.

Well f**k off then.

The campus seems to be full of moaning minies like you who find the least little thing wrong with the city, university or both just to be "rebellious".

I suspect there might be a little bit more to it than just loathing Dundee... anyway I vaguely knew a few people who did their first years at Stirling and switched to do courses at other universities. I don't know if they did the same thing or anything but its not all that uncommon and I am sure it can be done. Phone up UCAS or something.

Right cheers, I was wondering whether it was possible to do a straight swap or if it involves the same process required when you're applying from scratch, I would imagine the latter.

Right cheers, I was wondering whether it was possible to do a straight swap or if it involves the same process required when you're applying from scratch, I would imagine the latter.

It varies uni by uni. So if you have done relevant modules you might well be able to transfer them across, I know of one person who transferred from Edinburgh to Stirling pretty easily, so it can be done. If you don't have any relevant units to transfer then you'll have to start from scratch again.

Can you not do year abroad or something? Seems a pretty drastic step, I suppose it depends what year you are in currently.

Or live outwith Dundee and commute it, people don't change, Dundee students are no different from students from anywhere else. From what I've heard students actually really like Dundee University and apparently the uni cares for the students, Glasgow Uni stated in an e-mail it didn't give a shit if you got injured coming in on icy pavements.

I have the word count equivalent of a dissertation to do between now and the 17th March and I am starting today, I'm the dick who hoards any book that might be considered relevant weeks before the deadline - they physically cannot fit in my bag.

I am surprised - and pissed off - my first year business course has upped the word limit from 1500 to 2500, only for someone to ask 'do we have to do secondary reading'? Even I couldn't waffle my way through 2500. I've not really attended any lectures from the subject but just a basic framework marketing analysis from the slides, the saturate it with broadsheet citations and mostly made up JSTOR citations. It's a massive class, and they never check.

The second year ones will be a bit more tricky, and the Politics department has really shafted us by giving us a 'voluntary' essay by the 17th but not returning our first ones till a few days before that deadline - so we won't actually know if we should do a second one or not. I will probably ditch it if I get a B of any sort.

And a big shout of to Ad Lib, who had the balls to publically correct the Course Convener on the e-mail system, probably setting him back 3, 4 grade points?

An e-mail has been sent out about the occupation of the Heatherington, and just as I'd suspected, the c**t brigade were behind it all.

They have been given every chance to have a peaceful protest but the uni have finally told them to get out after:

• Vandalism to adjoining university property
  • A security officer being assaulted whilst trying to deny a drunk man entry to the building
  • A visitor to the campus was abused and intimidated by those in the Heatherington and security had to step in. It doesn't mention anything about this, but seemingly the head of the NUS had been abused by this lot - maybe it was this guy (Aaron Porter or something like that)
  • Vandalised the adjoining property AGAIN

So well done you stupid fuckers, yet another protests descends into cuntery. No wonder nobody listens to students opinions.

Edited by Mushroom

And a big shout of to Ad Lib, who had the balls to publicly correct the Course Convener on the e-mail system, probably setting him back 3, 4 grade points?

In fairness, the moodle page says "Optional Essay due Monday 17th March" after they initially say that it's due Monday 14th March (a real actual date in 2011).

Then I ask "so which is it: Monday 14th or Thursday 17th?"

The Course convener then says "HI GUYS IT'S DUE THURSDAY 14th MARCH GOOD LUCK!!!!!"

I then say "I hope that's a joke... the 14th of March is a Monday"

The Course convener then issues a grovelling apology and says it is, in fact, due on Monday 14th March after all.

Edited by Ad Lib

An e-mail has been sent out about the occupation of the Heatherington, and just as I'd suspected, the c**t brigade were behind it all.

They have been given every chance to have a peaceful protest but the uni have finally told them to get out after:

• A security officer being assaulted whilst trying to deny a drunk man entry to the building
  • A visitor to the campus was abused and intimidated by those in the Heatherington and security had to step in. It doesn't mention anything about this, but seemingly the head of the NUS had been abused by this lot - maybe it was this guy (Aaron Porter or something like that)

So well done you stupid fuckers, yet another protests descends into cuntery. No wonder nobody listens to students opinions.

Did anyone think it would end any other way? :lol:

I've no idea who Aaron Porter is, but I'm all for verbal abuse against the NUS, and students in general.

In fairness, the moodle page says "Optional Essay due Monday 17th March" after they initially say that it's due Monday 17th March (a real actual date in 2011).

Then I ask "so which is it: Monday 14th or Thursday 17th?"

The Course convener then says "HI GUYS IT'S DUE THURSDAY 14th MARCH GOOD LUCK!!!!!"

I then say "I hope that's a joke... the 14th of March is a Monday"

The Course convener then issues a grovelling apology and says it is, in fact, due on Monday 14th March after all.

It wasn't grovelling and it definitely wasn't worth it on your part.

And the rank and file typically hate students who use the email system, particularly that guy who wanted the lecture recordings up over Christmas to watch them again. He goes against everything I stand for.

Good move by the university. I hope the University court chucks every one of those scummy barstewards out the main get, never to return.

I've no idea who Aaron Porter is, but I'm all for verbal abuse against the NUS, and students in general.

I'm no keen on the NUS either, I don't know if its him though - it was a wild guess.

There is a line in the sand.

Good move by the university. I hope the University court chucks every one of those scummy barstewards out the main get, never to return.

The police are investigating.

Although the main gate (i assume thats what you meant) is in the middle of the uni, maybe take them down to the park and throw them in the Kelvin instead?

• 2 weeks later...

I am in deep shit!

Decided at the beginning of semester 2 that I fancied quitting Uni and getting a full time job. Sent a letter to Uni on the 6th of February - still not heard anything back. SAAS require Uni evidence to change your circumstances with them - so despite not actually going to Uni for about 6 weeks now, I have received 2 months of payments plus travel expences.

Presumably all this has to be paid back immediately?

I am in deep shit!

Decided at the beginning of semester 2 that I fancied quitting Uni and getting a full time job. Sent a letter to Uni on the 6th of February - still not heard anything back. SAAS require Uni evidence to change your circumstances with them - so despite not actually going to Uni for about 6 weeks now, I have received 2 months of payments plus travel expences.

Presumably all this has to be paid back immediately?

Presumably, since you clearly think you're not entitled to this money, you've kept it aside, ready for it to be paid back?

Just received an email from SAAS after I requested yesterday that they suspend my payments untik they receive conformation of my withdrawal date.

Gaz, kept most of it aside, March payment plus the percentage that was travel expenses for Semester 2. As for my redeemed travel expenses for semester 1, plus February's payment - they're in tills right across the country. :ninja:

I think VT is right though, I haven't come across anything on SAAS's site that suggests I might have to pay it back immediately. I hope to f**k this is the case!

Just received an email from SAAS after I requested yesterday that they suspend my payments untik they receive conformation of my withdrawal date.

Gaz, kept most of it aside, March payment plus the percentage that was travel expenses for Semester 2. As for my redeemed travel expenses for semester 1, plus February's payment - they're in tills right across the country. :ninja:

I think VT is right though, I haven't come across anything on SAAS's site that suggests I might have to pay it back immediately. I hope to f**k this is the case!

I personally hope they hang you out to dry.

It seems incredibly stupid to spend money that you openly admit you know you're not entitled to.

We got the class questionaires last week for our Science class and I wrote that the only thing wrong with the class was that the room for it was really shit, stuffy and uncomfortable. My friends gave me a bit of stick for it, saying it wasn't exactly relevant for a class questionaire. Then we got an email with this in it:

"I just wanted to say thanks for your replies to the mid-term questionnaire. The majority of you have pointed out that the room was unsuitable (too hot, uncomfortable desks) and that it didn't help during the lecture for CL211. You have also pointed out that for the CE students there was a 3 hours gap between the hydrology class and the previous lecture on Friday. I was aware of none of the above."

I am yet to receive thanks from my friends dry.gif They've also moved that class to Wednesdays so I only have an hour of maths on a Friday morning at 9 then I'm off, bit shit that I need to come all the way in just for an hour, and it's the tutorial so attendance is monitored, but it's cool that I'll be home by about 10.30 biggrin.gif

Got to hand in a maths assignment for tomorrow morning though and I've got a lab report for Monday.

And finally, my exams have been posted. I'm in on the 16th, 18th, 19th and 20th of May, that's right. Exam on the Monday, Wednesday, Thursday and Friday of that week sad.gif At least Science(which is the hardest class for me) is the first one so I will have that whole weekend to study for it. Maths is on the Friday though and I find that the second hardest. Guess It'll give me the "fear".