Who's Going To Uni?

That's me picked my Seminars. Managed to scrape together a nae bad timetable. Got a Wednesday off and one lecture on the Thursday. This semester will be brutal.

Can you access your modules on WebCT then? None of my modules have been added on yet.

Yeah, can access them all by the looks of it.

Weird, got an e-mail from my maths co-ordinator this morning saying the questionnaire would be up at 10am for tutorial choices (doing two maths modules this semester) but nothing's up yet for me.

Weird, got an e-mail from my maths co-ordinator this morning saying the questionnaire would be up at 10am for tutorial choices (doing two maths modules this semester) but nothing's up yet for me.

Aye, the signing up for one of my seminars was only put up half an hour ago. Sure it will be online over the next hour or so.

Picked my tutorials today and now have a full timetable for second year. In 15 hours a week compared to nine last year, and the nine was more like four as I never bothered going to lectures very often at all. This year could be a culture shock for me...

On the plus side I'm happy to be back, summer was boring and it's great seeing all my mates again.

Im in a flat, self-catered. Yeah ive met one or two arses already, and it mainly seems to be the scottish guys actually. A lot of private-school, rugby playing, loud obnoxious wankers. But thats a really small minority so far. Most people are really sound.

I was in self-catered last year, was in Hermits Croft. The arses aren't from the far north of Scotland are they? Had a quite a few in my accomodation who were from there who were a bit strange. The only doubt I had about coming to Edinburgh is that it's supposed to be full of pretentious posh wankers but most people are OK as you say.

Oh i wish i was back at uni, the days of student loans, bursaries and getting ridiculous amounts of travel expenses to buy a new TV are gone. Just finished Uni in June, graduated with a 2:1 Honours Degree in Animation and Digital Art. Damn full time work to look forward to for the rest of my life. Depressed now :(

Oh i wish i was back at uni, the days of student loans, bursaries and getting ridiculous amounts of travel expenses to buy a new TV are gone. Just finished Uni in June, graduated with a 2:1 Honours Degree in Animation and Digital Art. Damn full time work to look forward to for the rest of my life. Depressed now :(

I'd be depressed too, if I was off to work in Mcdonalds for the rest of my puff.

I'm just about to start my 4th year doing single Honours Statistics.

I went to uni with the intention of doing maths, and chose Stats and Spanish as my other subjects. The Spanish was just for something a bit different because I didn't fancy doing another science subject. I stopped Spanish after first year and did Maths and Stats in second year. I ended up really hating some of the maths in 2nd year, so I ended up just doing Stats.

The problem I had with some of the Maths in second year was that it was really theoretical and I couldn't really see where it was going. That meant that while I could do it all and pass the exams (without meaning to brag, I got all As and won a prize), but I felt as though I didn't really understand some of it.

Stats is a lot more applied, and I think it helps to be able to work with real life examples. First year is fairly basic, and you'll find a fair bit of overlap with maths. The lecturers are all very approachable in comparison to some of the maths ones. You might find some of it a bit easy if you're fairly clever, but I think that allows you to settle into the other aspects of uni a bit better anyway.

Hope you enjoy Freshers Week this week. If you have any questions about either Maths or Stats you can stick them on here or send me a PM. Can't help with Computing Science, although I know a few folk who did it in 1st year. If you like the programming side of it, then you might be interested to know that there's a fair bit of programming used in 3rd and 4th year stats.

Thanks.

Computing Science, is like your choice of Spanish for me. I plan on dropping that at the end of 1st year. Then, hopefully going on to do Applied Maths although I'm pretty sure that will change. The first year Maths seems pretty straightforward as it was covered in Advanced Higher but admittedly I didn't do at all well in that.

Tuesday and Wednesday off this semester, although will be doing my dissertation and going on inspections with the council on these days.

Only two exams in January, good after having to make up my marks in May due to studying the night before the winter exams...

I know i would be to, who would want that with their life? Burger King though, that's a different kettle of fish altogether, great incentives, 8p over minimum wage, nothing better in my opinion.

Doubt they'll sell much fish tbh.

What do the Stirling lads think of the new library? It's nae too shabby but they have a shortage in computers. Mind you, ideal if you just wanna take your laptop in and head up the stairs.

I like it, it's great. Spent six hours in it today!

Pretty good timetable this year, I have Mondays off and only one lecture on Friday which isn't much of a problem because I'm playing football in Glasgow that day anyway.

Maximum of 12 hours a week but as Business has so few tutorials it's more likely to be 10 hours a week, and if I can broker a notes deal with Exuberant it goes down to 7 hours a week.

What will I do with all my free time? :(

Edited by Supras