Who's Going To Uni?

Thanks for the advice Gingapar, Spiders For Life and VikingTON. Sociology looks shit, I will not do that. I'm looking at doing either Economics or Human Resource Managment as apparently I could do those.

I think this Findlay you speak of was there doing the lecture about History on an open day last year. He reminded me of a slightly drunk man rambling on about something he wasn't entirely sure of. In my book that made him a hero.

I've heard great stories about these 12 hour Tuesdays. I hope to embrace them lovingly.

If Clive (can't mind second name) is still lecturing, he's the most mind numbingly boring man alive!

Start Mental Health & Counselling on the 20th, but have a week of inductions and shite from the 13th. I'm off Wednesdays. :)

Abertay?

Iv got all these induction things but i really cant be bothered with them

Just want my timetable and student card then deal with the rest as it comes

What can I expect from History & Politics at Strathclyde? Other than an easier time than those doing "sciencey" things.

I'm quite looking forward to this uni thing. Quite lucky that I know at least one other person doing the same course as me and that virtually everyone from my school is ending up in the Glasgow area. Although I can't register until Wednesday 22nd so that is quite annoying. What does an interview with an Adviser of Studies constitute? Will I be receving high praise and/or a cash prize, or will they say "Young sir, you only got in here on a conditional, we're watching your every academic movement"?

Another question. Probably the most idiotic question I will ask on this thread. What are my chances of going through Fresher's Week without being ID'd at whichever place in the union I decide to quench my thirst?

The bouncers or people just inside will give you a wristband if you're over 18, I'd imagine that the bar staff will ask to see the band if you look iffy.That's at Strathy's union anyway.

When I selected my modules I had to choose 5 and rank them from 1 to 5. When do I find out if I have got my preferred modules?

Hmm. Go onto your WebCT portal thing and see if it tells you there under the bit that says academic history and module results. Your module outlines will appear on Wednesday I think.

Freshers week in Glasgow starts tomorrow and having lost my phone I will be trawling the uni looking for someone who owes me money.

Should maybe download the dollar trilogy theme tune to add to the atmosphere.

Statistics and Computing Science.

I'm just about to start my 4th year doing single Honours Statistics.

I went to uni with the intention of doing maths, and chose Stats and Spanish as my other subjects. The Spanish was just for something a bit different because I didn't fancy doing another science subject. I stopped Spanish after first year and did Maths and Stats in second year. I ended up really hating some of the maths in 2nd year, so I ended up just doing Stats.

The problem I had with some of the Maths in second year was that it was really theoretical and I couldn't really see where it was going. That meant that while I could do it all and pass the exams (without meaning to brag, I got all As and won a prize), but I felt as though I didn't really understand some of it.

Stats is a lot more applied, and I think it helps to be able to work with real life examples. First year is fairly basic, and you'll find a fair bit of overlap with maths. The lecturers are all very approachable in comparison to some of the maths ones. You might find some of it a bit easy if you're fairly clever, but I think that allows you to settle into the other aspects of uni a bit better anyway.

Hope you enjoy Freshers Week this week. If you have any questions about either Maths or Stats you can stick them on here or send me a PM. Can't help with Computing Science, although I know a few folk who did it in 1st year. If you like the programming side of it, then you might be interested to know that there's a fair bit of programming used in 3rd and 4th year stats.

In a similar vein to the previous poster, im starting at Edinburgh doing maths on the 20th, anyone can tell me what top expect, either from the uni or the course?

I'm going into my second year at Edinburgh, quite a few of my pals did Maths as a module last year and seemed to do well in it. I've really enjoyed the university, there are a lot of twats as you would expect but there are just as many decent people. You living in Halls or commuting?