Who's Going To Uni?

I start uni on the 20th, going to do Mechanical Engineering at West of Scotland (Hamilton campus).

Any else done Mechanical Engineering, or go to the Hamilton campus? I got the place through clearing by the advice of a career adviser, so I have no idea what it's about, nor anyone who's doing it.

I don't even know what subjects I am doing next year, I'm thinking of picking up public policy as a second year course if I can but haven't heard back from the course coordinator.

Politics is a certainty next year but I'm not sure about the other two subjects, I wish I had chosen Business management in first year.

Edited by Supras

Just had a wee look at my timetable for the first 13 weeks, its alright, however I am, in from 9 til 6 on a monday and 10-6 on a thursday, obviously with a couple of hours break, only othe class is an hour on thursday, so effectively get a 3 and a half day weekend with tuesdays off as well.

I'm in for a grand total of 12 hours a week over here. One of the Dutch Studies classes has a multiple choice exam (:lol:) but the other is based entirely on one essay, which should hopefully help pick up a few tricks for being back in Scotland. The two main classes are almost entirely exam-based, so it's a good mix of techniques and learning.

Think the step-up in February will be significant though.

What can I expect from History & Politics at Strathclyde? Other than an easier time than those doing "sciencey" things.

I'm quite looking forward to this uni thing. Quite lucky that I know at least one other person doing the same course as me and that virtually everyone from my school is ending up in the Glasgow area. Although I can't register until Wednesday 22nd so that is quite annoying. What does an interview with an Adviser of Studies constitute? Will I be receving high praise and/or a cash prize, or will they say "Young sir, you only got in here on a conditional, we're watching your every academic movement"?

Another question. Probably the most idiotic question I will ask on this thread. What are my chances of going through Fresher's Week without being ID'd at whichever place in the union I decide to quench my thirst?

What can I expect from History & Politics at Strathclyde? Other than an easier time than those doing "sciencey" things.

I'm quite looking forward to this uni thing. Quite lucky that I know at least one other person doing the same course as me and that virtually everyone from my school is ending up in the Glasgow area. Although I can't register until Wednesday 22nd so that is quite annoying. What does an interview with an Adviser of Studies constitute? Will I be receving high praise and/or a cash prize, or will they say "Young sir, you only got in here on a conditional, we're watching your every academic movement"?

Another question. Probably the most idiotic question I will ask on this thread. What are my chances of going through Fresher's Week without being ID'd at whichever place in the union I decide to quench my thirst?

if you have a beard, quite high, if you have your name written on your clothes, quite low

I can only comment on politics as I didn't do history. Really not much to it in first year, if you go to most of the lectures and get your essays done to a decent standard you shouldn't have a problem. Also, don't waste your money on the books they tell you to buy, I could probably count on one hand the amount of times I used them throughout the year.

Your meeting with the advisor of studies will be to pick your other subject as you need to do 3 in social subjects. I got strongly advised from someone on p&b NOT to do sociology yet I went ahead and picked it. Worst decision of my first year, I urge you not to do the same ;)

Don't expect organisation in the History department as the staff have to work around Finlay, not with him. Scottish history from 1750s probably - always take notes in Finlay's lectures as only the headings go online.

Politics is a general overview of themes and concepts. Mitchell however is a complete arsewipe.

It's just a "here's your timetable, if you want to change courses do x, y, z" kind of meeting.

Fairly high. Probably. Freshers' was the week before my 18th and I couldn't be arsed with their shite last year.

They might welll band you - say, red for over 18s, blue for under 18s. They did that at the Christmas all-nighter and GiGi was put in the kiddies section. :lol:

They can also be a bit picky regarding student cards as ID for the first few weeks, so for any over-18 Freshers, bring some other ID when at 12-hour Tuesday etc.

I've noted the price rises for 12-hour Tuesday etc with disgust. In my day everything, more or less, was a pound. None of this 1.50 a pint shite. dry.gif

I got strongly advised from someone on p&b NOT to do sociology yet I went ahead and picked it. Worst decision of my first year, I urge you not to do the same wink.gif

Me and I was strongly advised by rowan NOT to do it. Worst decision of my first year.

THE CYCLE MUST END HERE

Just had my induction earlier today. It was supposed to run from 10-12 so put £2.30 in the parking meter to cover me the two hours and then some. But I should have known this was Napier. I got to the class at 9.55 and was out just after 10.35.

Going into my 4th year of journalism and if I'm being honest going into the induction I couldn't be bothered with the course and the people on the course but I feel a bit better towards the former after today. Obviously it is dissertation time and what the course leader was saying was pretty decent in terms of getting the marks. The best module result from last year will be taken forward to make my final grade.

I'm a bit worried by the fact I have no idea what I'm going to do for my dissertation. I only know that I want to focus on the sports aspect of journalism. Once I get a question sorted though I reckon I'll get started right away and really try to make use of the time.

I am off Monday's ( :D ), in for an hour on Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday. But then have a class 9-5 ( :( ). And it's not as if it's split. I go from the 9-10 lecture straight into the class. However I won't just be sitting at a desk it is a multimedia newsroom class so should be doing different things.

Only thing is I need to get back to where I live by 6 to start work.

Have you done Journalism as a post grade or an undergrad course?

In Glasgow sociology is linked with criminology, it is seriously tempting...

Edited by Supras

Thanks for the advice Gingapar, Spiders For Life and VikingTON. Sociology looks shit, I will not do that. I'm looking at doing either Economics or Human Resource Managment as apparently I could do those.

I think this Findlay you speak of was there doing the lecture about History on an open day last year. He reminded me of a slightly drunk man rambling on about something he wasn't entirely sure of. In my book that made him a hero.

I've heard great stories about these 12 hour Tuesdays. I hope to embrace them lovingly.

Yeah that's Finlay. The wistful look is less to do with wine and more looking forward to the next fag - hence the swift exit at the end of every lecture. And probably a little to do with wine.

He actually knows a scary amount of stuff, though you wouldn't think it.

Edited by vikingTON

Thanks for the advice Gingapar, Spiders For Life and VikingTON. Sociology looks shit, I will not do that. I'm looking at doing either Economics or Human Resource Managment as apparently I could do those.

I think this Findlay you speak of was there doing the lecture about History on an open day last year. He reminded me of a slightly drunk man rambling on about something he wasn't entirely sure of. In my book that made him a hero.

I've heard great stories about these 12 hour Tuesdays. I hope to embrace them lovingly.

I did Economics in first year and it was the subject I enjoyed the most as the lectures are (on the most part) interesting and you do a group project in the second semester which is pretty good. However, because it is in the buisness department it is worth a different amount of credits which meant that I had to pick a fourth subject as opposed to the usual 3. It's only for the first semester you need to do 4 subjects though so you can go back to the normal 3 in the second semester.

That's another thing, I chose law as one of my other subjects for the first semester and unless you really want to take the course further then don't pick that either as it's an awful lot of work for the most boring part of the law course, legal methods.

Edited by Spiders For Life

Me and I was strongly advised by rowan NOT to do it. Worst decision of my first year.

THE CYCLE MUST END HERE

Completely useless department with rubbish lectures and tutors who are about as good as a chocolate teapot. Utter utter shambles and I had a meeting to tell the course director as much and then he stormed out a lecture one day in a hissy fit. Prat.

I however did like Prof Mitchell and the way he taught us. Psychology is fine as well if it's just a filler subject.