Who's Going To Uni?

Since everyone else is posting their results, I got 6 A1s, 3 A2s and an A3.

I was absolutely delighted and more than a bit surprised, but it sets me up really well for a first as long as I don't completely f**k up next year.

Pah, Stats is a diddy course :P

Pah, Stats is a diddy course tongue.gif

Nonsense. At least it's something you can use in everyday life. I had to use logistic regression in Tesco the other day when deciding which brand of crisps to buy.

When do you ever make use of "Law"?

Nonsense. At least it's something you can use in everyday life. I had to use logistic regression in Tesco the other day when deciding which brand of crisps to buy.

When do you ever make use of "Law"?

Suing people for misusing your stats!

What were the subjects? You do history yeah?

Yeah, history and politics.

Modern Political Thought

History of Scotland 1830-1914

Aristocracy to Democracy? Britain 1830-1918

War, Terrorism and Conflict

respective to results.

Yeah, history and politics.

Modern Political Thought

History of Scotland 1830-1914

Aristocracy to Democracy? Britain 1830-1918

War, Terrorism and Conflict

respective to results.

Was keen to study History after school, but didn't get the required grades for it.

History of Scotland sounds good, done a good deal of that in school (1830-1914 era), but obviously not in as much depth as it would be in university.

I assume Aristocracy to Democracy? Britain 1830-1918 focusses on the voting reforms, suffrage movement etc?

I assume Aristocracy to Democracy? Britain 1830-1918 focusses on the voting reforms, suffrage movement etc?

Yeah, that and the Chartists. Plus a wider overview of how democracy can be determined, and the aims of those who passed reform. Democracy as we know it wasn't really on the table at any point.

• 1 month later...

Kevin Thacker,

Your record indicates that you intend to complete an Honours programme. I am

pleased to confirm that you have now met the academic criteria for admission to your

chosen programme, and that your record has been updated to indicate that your

Honours status is now confirmed.

Congratulations on your admission to Honours, and best wishes for success in the

coming academic year.

Student Programmes

(the bully wee...)

A wee question for all uni go-ers that may have been in the same position as me.

Last year (5th year) I got 5 Highers - BBB for maths, english and business; CC for chemistry and computing. There's a Computer Science course I quite fancy at Strathclyde that requires BBBB (inc. maths) - would my results as they are be enough for an unconditional, or would I need some more grades?

Any advice would be appreciated greatly.

I've now got my unconditional offer from GCU and my place all confirmed for September. Over the moon. :D

Congratulations, what are you going to study?

Ive been granted a place there too, though Ive chosen to defer one year as Id be a mature student and need more saving time!

Congratulations, what are you going to study?

Ive been granted a place there too, though Ive chosen to defer one year as Id be a mature student and need more saving time!

I'm starting my nursing degree. I can't wait! 4 weeks to go. I too will be a mature student. The average age for a nursing student is 30, apparently, and I beat even that. :lol:

A wee question for all uni go-ers that may have been in the same position as me.

Last year (5th year) I got 5 Highers - BBB for maths, english and business; CC for chemistry and computing. There's a Computer Science course I quite fancy at Strathclyde that requires BBBB (inc. maths) - would my results as they are be enough for an unconditional, or would I need some more grades?

Any advice would be appreciated greatly.

I would imagine you'll be given a conditional but you'd probably get in with those results anyway. I'd advise picking a Higher next year that you reckon you can get a B in, even if it's Chemistry or Computing again, just in case, but unless a deluge of straight A students suddenly decide to take Computing Science at Strathclyde you'll probably be OK. The vast majority of courses end up admitting a few people who didn't quite meet the entry requirements.

You might be given an unconditional, but at this stage they'll probably look for you to get that extra B to help their figures. I don't think it'll make any odds in the long run.

Edited by Paco

I would imagine you'll be given a conditional but you'd probably get in with those results anyway. I'd advise picking a Higher next year that you reckon you can get a B in, even if it's Chemistry or Computing again, just in case, but unless a deluge of straight A students suddenly decide to take Computing Science at Strathclyde you'll probably be OK. The vast majority of courses end up admitting a few people who didn't quite meet the entry requirements.

You might be given an unconditional, but at this stage they'll probably look for you to get that extra B to help their figures. I don't think it'll make any odds in the long run.

Cheers! Yeah, I'm thinking of taking computing again as a higher (have it down for advanced atm) to bump up my mark, and I'll be picking up french again from SG (got a 1 in it) which should be fairly easy and am aiming for a A/B for it. Hopefully that will be enough for the university as I did get told that they're going to be a lot stricter this year with regards to whom they let in.

I'm looking at Stirling Uni to do a journalism degree, purely because it is a very creditable university for journalism in Scotland as far as I can see and can put me well on the road to my career in print media. I'm thinking however of making this a joint Honours degree with Politics as well as this is the area that I would like to work in a possible newspaper job and with my Adv History and Adv Mod Stud, which I'm taking this year, I can hopefully balance the two degrees together well.

The entry qualification appears to be ABBB for Stirling and I have AAAB, so I'm hoping for a unconditional, but obviously I'll try for more grades this year to boost my chances further.

This thread brings back loads of memories.

Unfortunately, I rushed my application in January last year and am seriously looking at changing course and having to do an extra year.

Still, uni is a great place to get money for minimal effort.