Who's Going To Uni?

I got all A's in my Highers, have a 2:1 In Geography from Glasgow and have no debt from University. Can you assess my life chances please Stuart, and can we be friends?

No matter how you do, you'll still never be a pipefitter.

I have AAAAB at Higher, an MEng with Distinction in Computer Science from the University of Strathclyde, have a graduate job and no student debt. However, too many people have graduated in my field and as such I'll not immediately be earning the average wage. There is no way King Stuart of Industrialia will be a friend of mine. :(

Edited by sonofjenova

I have AAAAB at Higher, an MEng with Distinction in Computer Science from the University of Strathclyde, have a graduate job and no student debt. However, too many people have graduated in my field and as such I'll not immediately be earning the average wage. There is no way King Stuart of Industrialia will be a friend of mine. :(

But like myself, you'll be earning the national average within a couple of years of graduating with the additional opportunity of developing your own home business should you wish (and if you have any decent web-app development skills, I'd highly recommend it).

I now earn double what I did prior to Uni, despite doing 50-60 hours per week back then. I now do 37.5 hours plus another 5 to 10 on my own stuff (which is charged as piece work as opposed to hourly - it often works out at roughly £30-£50 per hour though :) )

What a loser!! You got good grades and decided to go to Uni to have both fun AND to get a foothold in a profitable (both financially and otherwise) career. WHAT A LOSER!!

Takes a LOSER to know a LOSER. I should hope that you're doing a purely vocational degree so you can be on a wage well above the British average when you emerge. :angry:

But like myself, you'll be earning the national average within a couple of years of graduating with the additional opportunity of developing your own home business should you wish (and if you have any decent web-app development skills, I'd highly recommend it).

Yup, I'm playing around with scripting languages at the moment.

I now earn double what I did prior to Uni, despite doing 50-60 hours per week back then. I now do 37.5 hours plus another 5 to 10 on my own stuff (which is charged as piece work as opposed to hourly - it often works out at roughly £30-£50 per hour though :) )

Bloody student, should have done refuse collection at Uni. There's no way you'll repay the taxpayer's University outlay at this rate. :angry:

Seriously - I agree. Surely you should be an elite student before you get the opportunity to further your education. Anything other than that is a waste of government money.

Define elite Stuart. If it is 6As at your first bite a la Mr W, then I wouldn't have been able to attend, and nor would the vast majority of graduates from my time. At that time, only 5% of people went on to degree level education IIRC.

Not one of my classmates (at least that I am still in touch with) would be earning any less than £50-60k. Not all of us ended up doing anything related to our degrees, but we will all pay higher tax levels, and we will all be contributing to society (whether that is in laboratory or pharma research, insurance, accounting, law...).

If we followed your plan, as a nation we would be completely deskilled within a generation. Is it year zero you are aiming for? :D

Guest SavotheGreat
Stuart is right in that there are too many people in uni who shouldn't be there. There are course which need BBB at higher, which in my mind shouldn't be happening. Minimum should be ABBC in my mind, or maybe even AABC.

Or better yet ABBA or ACDC.

I think 6 As at Higher in one sitting should be the criteria for getting into University B) *

*awaits onslaught of "pretentious w****r" and other such insults, probably pertaining to my private education.

Six highers?, that must have been a hellish 5th year, because I had 5 highers (our schools limit) and vowed never to repeat such madness, Good job my AH's were meaningless, because they would have killed me had I cared.

Although on Planet Dickson I am clearly an inferior individual for getting a B in Physics :( Oh well, at least on Planet Dickson I can drive trains and earn loads of cash :)

It isn't really a debate though, is it? He makes a daft argument based on an incredibly selective use of downright dodgy statistics (which is easily rebutted), but chooses to ignore your rebuttal and simply reposts his inane drivel...

I do, however, wonder where his irrational disdane comes from? A rejected UCAS form? Daddy refusing to help him out with rent in halls? Something must have scarred him, to have this much envy and intolerance towards those bettering themselves - I think he might find it soothing to tell all here.

HTH :)

:whistle

Oh dear...how do you get by on that... :rolleyes:

You should have become a pipefitter.

I was sitting in the toilet this evening reading the free local newspaper and on the front page there was an article that illustrated exactly my point about the waste of money in Further Education. The story was about ten women who work for the NHS who had successfully achieved their SVQ Level 2 in Laundry!!!! Their employer expressed his delight and said hopefully the ladies would become his laundry champions and he wanted to put the rest of his staff through the same courses.

I don't know what the course involved that took 10 weeks, but I'm guessing it must have taken that long for the message to sink in that you separate the whites from the colours.

I still reckon the course was more involved than a Computer Science degree though - and at least their research, on subjects like what washing powder works best on shit stains, would be a damned site more important than Edinburgh Uni's Pets study... :rolleyes: