Who's Going To Uni?

Curiously one of the main applications of my work is in the construction of micro channels for fluid flow, so in a sense I guess I am :lol:

Im looking to transfer to study petroleum engineering (currently studying offshore engineering). Does that mean i can also stake a claim to wanting to become a pipefitter <_<

Im looking to transfer to study petroleum engineering (currently studying offshore engineering). Does that mean i can also stake a claim to wanting to become a pipefitter <_<

yup, go one better and do nuclear engineering - building a reactor is mostly plumbing after all.....

You should be apologising for gross smiley misuse (as well as all of your lies). What you've done there is say you look forward to an apology, but then you add :rolleyes: , meaning that you are not being serious, and that you don't really look forward to it. Say what you mean man. Did you not learn how to use emoticons on your first day on the job?

Well it looks like plumbers are going to be earning big money for years to come....either that or a hell of a lot of students are going to graduate and then retrain to become plumbers. :rolleyes:

My cousin is a plumber.

He's only just been saved from immediate redundancy by his firm picking up a contract they didn't expect...because the firm that was about to do it went out of business.

He'll still be out of a job before the summer is out, though.

Edited by MMMDCCCLXXX

Oh dear - you and 200,000 others fighting over around 100,000 jobs. Last years average wage in your sector dropped from £24,000pa to £23,750. At those kind of rates the taxpayer will struggle to recoup your student loan fees never mind anything else.

Quite.

Engineers (computer) £27,544

IT operations technicians £29,954

IT strategy and planning professionals £48,787

IT user support technicians £25,917

Software professionals £36,651

:whistle

Quite.

Engineers (computer) £27,544

IT operations technicians £29,954

IT strategy and planning professionals £48,787

IT user support technicians £25,917

Software professionals £36,651

:whistle

IT Jobs Watch reports wages are falling right across the sector in the first three months of 2009. As Renton says I should be careful about promoting trade apprenticeships too much, after all I wouldn't want to see the same kind of falls in my profession... :rolleyes:

Completely different skill sets. It's like comparing the price of 4 bricks against the price of a DVD player. The former may well be cheaper, but it's not what you f**king want. Similarly working as a dancer may yield a higher average pay, but you might have six left feet and an arse for a face, but be a tooth genius.

Incidentally, I had a hygienist's appointment today at my dentist's and because she's private I had to pay £37 for her basically brushing my teeth. What a joke.

Stuart is right in that there are too many people in uni who shouldn't be there. There are course which need BBB at higher, which in my mind shouldn't be happening. Minimum should be ABBC in my mind, or maybe even AABC.

But all this pish about wages? Since when was money the only thing that mattered in life?

I am starting a Music degree in Glasgow Uni in September, because I want a career in music. There are all sorts of things I would like to do and/or discover a niche for in my time doing the degree such as composing, conducting, performing etc. all sorts of things, but the all purpose backup plan is to teach music.

Now I might earn £6k p/a less than a train driver, but that would give me no job satisfaction whatsoever. I would much rather be teaching what is in my mind an enjoyable subject.

Also, many teachers also do private tuition as well as their day job, which can supply a a fair chunk of extra income, if we're talking wages, and music teachers esp. often do some performing on the side.

Edited by Mushroom

...maybe even AABC.

Stick another C on there and that was my Higher grades!

(Sorry...just a piece of useless information, although I'm glad I'm still good enough to get into uni under your criteria ;))

I think 6 As at Higher in one sitting should be the criteria for getting into University B) *

*awaits onslaught of "pretentious w****r" and other such insults, probably pertaining to my private education.

Stuart is right in that there are too many people in uni who shouldn't be there.

Indeed there are. Or at least, we shouldn't be paying for their places. If Universities can find people willing to pay the course fees they should obviously be able to attend.

Funded places should be much harder to attain.

Stick another C on there and that was my Higher grades!

(Sorry...just a piece of useless information, although I'm glad I'm still good enough to get into uni under your criteria ;))

B) I also got AABCC, and got 5 unconditionals B)

I think 6 As at Higher in one sitting should be the criteria for getting into University B) *

*awaits onslaught of "pretentious w****r" and other such insults, probably pertaining to my private education.

Pretentious w****r :P

Private education has nothing to do with it.

IT Jobs Watch reports wages are falling right across the sector in the first three months of 2009. As Renton says I should be careful about promoting trade apprenticeships too much, after all I wouldn't want to see the same kind of falls in my profession... :rolleyes:

Napier.

epic FAIL :lol:

SD, if you truly want to believe a 2008 "statistic" that tells you a dancer earns more than a dentist, then you are completely free to do so... however it is not reality, is it?

A dancer (and included within that description, something you failed to note, a choreographer) will have a career spanning, at most, a decade. Within that decade, there is little job security or career security (jobs are short-term, without pension benefits), hence the spiked wage. A dentist is set for life in a 40 year career in the knowledge that his or her wage is going to increase...

Need I really go on?!

Just for completeness: the dentistry market is, of course, heavily weighted, currently, with the younger generation. As you own "evidence" even stated, wages were rising at a rate of 24% for the year... hence it is no surprise that dentistry schools are full and churning out enough dentists to help the struggling NHS (helped in no small part by the private medical sector that you so hypocritically support...) who, realistically, are going to have to start at the bottom of the earning ladder.

I look forward to your reply... after all, I am on holiday until September to read it over.

Reality is that a dancer will earn more money than a dentist, especially when they extend their career's into choreography. The statistics back it 100%.

I don't get how I am a hypocrite for supporting the Private Medical industry either. I've long advocated that the NHS should only provide essential services for the extremely poor. The rest of us SHOULD be funding our own health care. The fact that I prefer to go private fits perfectly with my beliefs and with my overall contention that we all pay too much tax to the state and that the state pisses away HUGE sums of money on worthless services like £161bn on a failing education system, and the £110bn used to fund the NHS which is still stretched to breaking point covering pointless operations like fitting gastric bands, soap for those with spots, and baby milk for parents who didn't include the cost of a child into their family planning. :rolleyes:

Seriously - I agree. Surely you should be an elite student before you get the opportunity to further your education. Anything other than that is a waste of government money.