Who's Going To Uni?

Helping out a campaign for the SRC elections today. Never really got involved with these things before, generally just had a very quick scan of the manifestos and voted on a whim.

I've previously been slightly cynical before about how much of a difference the presidents can make, some of the manifesto promises have always sounded a little difficult to achieve, however it should be fun to be involved and if the candidate I'm helping can do what he wants to do then I think it would improve the university considerably (though I'm away out of this uni in a couple of months, so I guess I'm considered part of the university grey vote, doing it for the good of others as I won't be around long enough to reap the benefits). He's a good candidate and he's managed to rid me of my previous cynicism.

He's also managed to get endorsements from people on the Yes side and (despite being of a Labour persuasion) the Tory voting chair of the Better Together society (though one of the vice chairs - another Tory - vetoed a full Better Together Society endorsement). Good to see a candidate gain significant support from across the political spectrum.

Helping out a campaign for the SRC elections today. Never really got involved with these things before, generally just had a very quick scan of the manifestos and voted on a whim.

I've previously been slightly cynical before about how much of a difference the presidents can make, some of the manifesto promises have always sounded a little difficult to achieve, however it should be fun to be involved and if the candidate I'm helping can do what he wants to do then I think it would improve the university considerably (though I'm away out of this uni in a couple of months, so I guess I'm considered part of the university grey vote, doing it for the good of others as I won't be around long enough to reap the benefits). He's a good candidate and he's managed to rid me of my previous cynicism.

He's also managed to get endorsements from people on the Yes side and (despite being of a Labour persuasion) the Tory voting chair of the Better Together society (though one of the vice chairs - another Tory - vetoed a full Better Together Society endorsement). Good to see a candidate gain significant support from across the political spectrum.

:lol: You're backing Owen "the sole purpose of the Labour Party is to raise class consciousness" Mooney?

Smart lad, nice enough guy and a moderate campaign but absolutely bonkers politically. Both he and Donald would be relatively good choices but I suspect that one of the other two candidates has things tied up by virtue of generic popularity and her previous involvement as a Sabbatical officer last year.

I voted Donald as my first preference in the end.

:lol: You're backing Owen "the sole purpose of the Labour Party is to raise class consciousness" Mooney?

Smart lad, nice enough guy and a moderate campaign but absolutely bonkers politically. Both he and Donald would be relatively good choices but I suspect that one of the other two candidates has things tied up by virtue of generic popularity and her previous involvement as a Sabbatical officer last year.

I voted Donald as my first preference in the end.

He's a bit more (well, considerably more) left-wing than me admittedly, but he's determined and I genuinely think he has the best manifesto.

He's a bit more (well, considerably more) left-wing than me admittedly, but he's determined and I genuinely think he has the best manifesto.

I know Owen fairly well through other stuff (mainly debating) and I think he would benefit from waiting a bit longer before doing something as big as serving as SRC President. It's not a question of his manifesto so much as his lack of experience. Donald's been about for 4 years now, has spent pretty much all of it on the SRC and knows the institution pretty much inside out. You need someone with the contacts and experience to get stuff done, particularly in the absence of a working Rector to support them. Owen's only going into his 3rd year and has a number of other things to which he is time-committed next year, which is something else to be taken into account. Donald, conversely, has nothing and would either be deferring or doing his DipLP year (a universally acknowledged skive).

Smart money is on Breffni winning though.

ETA: one other thing, Owen needs to get a fucking haircut.

Edited by Ad Lib

I know Owen fairly well through other stuff (mainly debating) and I think he would benefit from waiting a bit longer before doing something as big as serving as SRC President. It's not a question of his manifesto so much as his lack of experience. Donald's been about for 4 years now, has spent pretty much all of it on the SRC and knows the institution pretty much inside out. You need someone with the contacts and experience to get stuff done, particularly in the absence of a working Rector to support them. Owen's only going into his 3rd year and has a number of other things to which he is time-committed next year, which is something else to be taken into account. Donald, conversely, has nothing and would either be deferring or doing his DipLP year (a universally acknowledged skive).

Smart money is on Breffni winning though.

Yeah I think Breffni will win. They didn't have as many folk out leafleting as Owen did, and nowhere near as many as Donald, but a lot of people voted for her, and I think her current position is helping.

I see Owen has got the endorsement of the 'Edward Snowden for Rector' campaign. An interestingly diverse section of political beliefs have endorsed him, Nats, former Tory leader of Better Together, libertarians now and the bulk of the Labour club.

Also a few folk from the cheese society seem to be voting for him, though the cheese society has remained strictly neutral on the SRC election (they were approached by the Owen Mooney campaign for endorsement).

I'm so glad that I couldn't give a f**k who gets voted in at student elections. I mean, campaigning for someone else? Seriously, have you not got better things to be doing?

I genuinely couldn't tell you who our student president/vice president is. What is their purpose exactly?

I'm so glad that I couldn't give a f**k who gets voted in at student elections. I mean, campaigning for someone else? Seriously, have you not got better things to be doing?

I genuinely couldn't tell you who our student president/vice president is. What is their purpose exactly?

Matt Lamb and Sinead Wylie. As for what they do, I'm not entirely sure. Matt Lamb posts on our Facebook group quite a bit and signs off as "YOUR Student President".

It's actually quite fun. Plus good experience to campaign in a non-hostile environment. And lots of haribo.

Criticising long haired undergrads now :lol:

I apparently have one of the presidential candidates on Linkedin. Pity I no longer matter. And I'm generally opposed to people who want to become politicians in the future.

Kinda hope whoever is elected turns out to be a corrupt w****r like their more interesting predecessors.

If that is what you are after and such like then the grad fairs will supply ample amounts. I target the pens usually. Sweets & a job are a bonus.

It's no Fresher's fair. Free artisan cheese from IJ Mellis available to all at the cheese society stall. I genuinely didn't need tea that night as I'd had so much cheese. Edited by jmothecat

In total I got free water, a free banana, free chocolate and free haribo as bribes to vote for some unheard of type or other as SRC President.

didn't vote lol

Mooney had free coffee.

Missed out there. And who was giving out a banana? Was that Naomi with her 'free fruit in the library' policy? Bold move trying to win votes in Glasgow with fruit.

Edited by jmothecat

In total I got free water, a free banana, free chocolate and free haribo as bribes to vote for some unheard of type or other as SRC President.

didn't vote lol[/]

Mooney had free coffee.

Missed out there. And who was giving out a banana? Was that Naomi with her 'free fruit in the library' policy? Bold move trying to win votes in Glasgow with fruit.

Some guy called Frank or Frankie I think, he wrote his facebook address on the banana. It was actually very nice, and thoroughly enjoyed while mulling over a marked politics essay in Kelvingrove Park.

Just by looking at the posters I concluded that Breffni lass would probably win. She just has one of those looks, as well as being rather pleasing on the eye.

Some guy called Frank or Frankie I think, he wrote his facebook address on the banana. It was actually very nice, and thoroughly enjoyed while mulling over a marked politics essay in Kelvingrove Park.

Just by looking at the posters I concluded that Breffni lass would probably win. She just has one of those looks, as well as being rather pleasing on the eye.

I voted against her at the last election, without knowing anything about her, simply because I didn't like her name. It sounds like a fake name.

She won anyway.

• 2 weeks later...

This thread is tremendous, i am hooked. I don't know if it's because of all of the different stories being told but i read bits of this every day, it really is quality! I never went to university but did plan on it. Wanted to do quantity surveying but needed to meet conditions (which i never) and ended up at college doing business. Stayed for a month and have now landed myself a job as a trainee accountant and have been there 5 months, mental how much things can change in a short space of time eh!!

There are a coupe of girls I know that are the same age as me that dropped out of uni straight after freshers because they both "didn't fancy making new friends". Is that not one of the main fucking reasons everyone goes to uni??? Obviously for the massive piss up as well but f**k me, they moved to Dundee from Arbroath and everything!

Anyway, quality thread in general, keep it up troops!! Keeps me entertained when things go quiet at work ;)

Guest honestrae95

Does anybody (well, I'd presume Law students) have any experience in mooting at University? After my compulsory moot in my Obligations course, I've managed to get through to the final of the competition, which is on Wednesday. I'd competed in a few debating competitions before but had never mooted and it was quite different but thoroughly enjoyable.

Hopefully next year I'll be able to compete in the mooting societies competitions. That is, if I don't make a c**t of it on Wednesday and go in the huff!

• 2 weeks later...