Who's Going To Uni?

That's the opposite of my first year experience. Everyone went out during the week and then were bored rigid sitting in at weekends.

It was the same with me too.

Weekends were also handily when the uni computers were at their most available so I'd get on with some shitey essay in some joke subject I had to take to get credits for my actual degree.

In a bold moment of actually asking something real on P&B, has anyone here had any experience of applying for any kind of hardship funding from their University?

If you did, how long did it take to get an answer, and also, was there any provision for almost immediate cash getting handed over?

Edited by thisGRAEME

In a bold moment of actually asking something real on P&B, has anyone here had any experience of applying for any kind of hardship funding from their University?

If you did, how long did it take to get an answer, and also, was there any provision for almost immediate cash getting handed over?

My flatmate last year fraudulently got a grand from the uni hardship fund. Took him about a month I think.

My flatmate last year fraudulently got a grand from the uni hardship fund. Took him about a month I think.

Good on him, tbh.

Where was that? (I'm not trying to grass on him, just trying to get feedback from other people's hardship funds to make a point)

I applied both years for hardship at college, don't remember it being too difficult, just a case of providing bank statements showing you've got no money really.

Got my dissertation supervisor yesterday, absolutely delighted with the guy, he's a no nonsense sort of bloke, but he is an excellent lecturer, so looking forward to getting stuck in!

Good on him, tbh.

Where was that? (I'm not trying to grass on him, just trying to get feedback from other people's hardship funds to make a point)

Edinburgh. Me and him nearly had a major falling out over it but I eventually just dropped it.

Edinburgh. Me and him nearly had a major falling out over it but I eventually just dropped it.

Why did you fall out with him?

There was lots of people at my uni that applied for it. It the became really hard to get it. So people were making up ridiculous stories. One guy said his mum and dad were really ill and couldn't work. Ridiculous

I've been off Uni for a week now to do training for my job and won't be back for another week. I've done f**k all in the way of reading/listening to lectures and I just found out today I've missed the deadline for a History document report by about 5 days, and it's worth 25% of my overall grade.

Stupid b*****d.

I've been off Uni for a week now to do training for my job and won't be back for another week. I've done f**k all in the way of reading/listening to lectures and I just found out today I've missed the deadline for a History document report by about 5 days, and it's worth 25% of my overall grade.

Stupid b*****d.

Speak to your tutor and explain why you missed it. He might say its tough shit but he might not and it's worth it to get your marks in full. Good luck

Why did you fall out with him?

There was lots of people at my uni that applied for it. It the became really hard to get it. So people were making up ridiculous stories. One guy said his mum and dad were really ill and couldn't work. Ridiculous

His parents pay his rent and he took a minimum loan because he had over seven grand savings. Halfway through the year he decided that he fancied some free money so moved his savings to his Dad's account and closed his saving account. He was left with only about £500 in a account so claimed that he couldn't pay the rent. He got a grand hardship and then transferred his saving back and booked flights and a holiday in Thailand for summer off it.

He's a middle-class English guy and has plenty dosh. Me and my other flatmates take full loans to get by so we showed our disgust at him. He just seemed really smug with himself that he'd screwed the system and didn't couldn't get why we found it immoral.

Speak to your tutor and explain why you missed it. He might say its tough shit but he might not and it's worth it to get your marks in full. Good luck

He'd almost certainly tell me to sling my hook. He wasn't best pleased at me missing 2 weeks of teaching in the 1st place so I'll just have to work my arse off when I get back and hope for the best.

His parents pay his rent and he took a minimum loan because he had over seven grand savings. Halfway through the year he decided that he fancied some free money so moved his savings to his Dad's account and closed his saving account. He was left with only about £500 in a account so claimed that he couldn't pay the rent. He got a grand hardship and then transferred his saving back and booked flights and a holiday in Thailand for summer off it.

He's a middle-class English guy and has plenty dosh. Me and my other flatmates take full loans to get by so we showed our disgust at him. He just seemed really smug with himself that he'd screwed the system and didn't couldn't get why we found it immoral.

Sounds like a dick. But fair play to him really

Never got hardship money but I succesfully applied for travel expenses despite living about 10 minutes away.

Think the hypothetical journey involved leaving my flat and walking the complete opposite direction to St George's Cross, then catching the tube to Buchanan St. My journeys home were strictly at peak times as well.

Pleasing.

Finding uni a bit daunting so far, if truth be told. I'm studying maths (which isn't too bad so far). However, the main problem is in one of my 2 secondary subjects. I (stupidly, probably) chose computer programming despite having no previous experience at school of it, although the course entry did no ask for any prerequisites and said it was open to those with no prior experience. Its like a completely different language to me already and its only a few weeks in, f*** :( Also, I'm at edinburgh

I too have the arduous task of applying for Grad Schemes...I did it to good effect with internships and landed myself a cracker in London...but Grad jobs are so crucial, feel nervous just typing the application!

Also applying for Postgrads as you can't rely on any employer right now even though my CV is in banging shape. Tough market for us lads, best of luck to you all in applying!

Sounds like a dick. But fair play to him really

No, not fair play to him really. Blatant fraud taking money away from those that need it. A student I know got hit with a whole load of unexpected circumstances in one go, and as a result, couldn't cover their rent for a couple of months. He got hardship funding to cover that, which is what it should be for, not so that some rich kid can fiddle the system.