Who's Going To Uni?

I did Geography, which I'd like to think falls into the 'proper' degree category but found all 4 years to be a real skive. Aside from the odd last minute craming/essay writing session, I think the most work I ever did in a day was 4 or 5 hours. I realise for some degrees you need to work MUCH harder than that to do well, but it's because of my experience that I think having a degree (in the main) isn't much to write home about.

Tend to agree with that.

I have an Honours degree in Accounting, and it was a piece of piss tbh.

Lectures 3 days a week lasted about 2/3 hours then I'd go straight home, and not look at a book til the next lecture. Essays were done last minute. Studying for exams was done last minute. Dissertation was done in the 2 weeks before it was due.

Admittedly I didn't get a First Class but for the amount of effort I put in, to come away with a 2:1 was pleasing.

Put one of those exam papers in front of me right now and I wouldn't have a clue though.

I'm working as a finance assistant to get some experience just now and that's piss easy too. I wholly anticipate getting an absolute grilling should I ever get a proper job in accounting, where it will feel like 4 years wasted. The degree itself is easy, and thus worthless tbh.

Edited by #Gary

Really? I got one in June last year

Sent from my HTC Desire HD A9191 using Pie & Bovril mobile app

Mine certainly ends in May, thought that was the same for everyone but maybe not?

Just last year I definitely got a payment in June. Remember it being a very pleasant surprise at the time :P

Has anyone here ever taken food into an exam? Obviously I'm talking about small things like cereal bars or the wee fruit bags you get, just a little something.

I get hungry quite quickly and can feel quite sick when I do (adding in the nervousness with exam time and it can really make for an uncomfortable time), was just wondering if anyone has ever done or seen it?

Has anyone here ever taken food into an exam? Obviously I'm talking about small things like cereal bars or the wee fruit bags you get, just a little something.

I get hungry quite quickly and can feel quite sick when I do (adding in the nervousness with exam time and it can really make for an uncomfortable time), was just wondering if anyone has ever done or seen it?

Ask the year tutor beforehand, and make sure it's in a clear bag or something.

Empty the sweets into a clear food bag.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Pie & Bovril mobile app

I've not personally, but a girl on my course had a clear container of

food (think it was fruit or something) and was allowed to eat throughout an exam in January. Email your advisor or lecturer and see what they say but as long as it doesn't affect anyone else (ie smells bad or noisy) then I can't see much of a problem with it.

Tbh it's a difficult one. If it doesn't affect anybody else then suppose it should be allowed but it almost definitely would affect the people around you. If I was sitting an exam and the person beside me was rustling a bag and chewing on sweets or fruit throughout it would probably annoy me and affect my concentration.

Really? I got one in June last year

Mine certainly ends in May, thought that was the same for everyone but maybe not?

Just last year I definitely got a payment in June. Remember it being a very pleasant surprise at the time :P

I'm sure I got a list of the SAAS payments I was getting and the date to expect them and I'm pretty sure there's one for June

Tbh it's a difficult one. If it doesn't affect anybody else then suppose it should be allowed but it almost definitely would affect the people around you. If I was sitting an exam and the person beside me was rustling a bag and chewing on sweets or fruit throughout it would probably annoy me and affect my concentration.

I guess it depends on what it is. Obviously I'm not gonna be taking in a roll and bacon ( :lol: ) and I've got a plastic container so there's no rustling. It'll probably be grapes if I take anything in so the noise of me eating them is no more that someone drinking some water or turning a page of the exam paper.

Thanks for the advice, guys.

I guess it depends on what it is. Obviously I'm not gonna be taking in a roll and bacon ( :lol: ) and I've got a plastic container so there's no rustling. It'll probably be grapes if I take anything in so the noise of me eating them is no more that someone drinking some water or turning a page of the exam paper.

Thanks for the advice, guys.

Yeah can't imagine that being a problem, there's only so much noise can be made eating grapes! :lol:

About to head into 6th year of High School so obviously thinking about what career paths to head down and what universities I should apply for.

Criminology and psychology has caught my eye, and I thoroughly enjoy History but I'm not fully committed to anything yet. Any suggestions/tips will be greatly received.

About to head into 6th year of High School so obviously thinking about what career paths to head down and what universities I should apply for.

Criminology and psychology has caught my eye, and I thoroughly enjoy History but I'm not fully committed to anything yet. Any suggestions/tips will be greatly received.

I heard a figure back in the school days along the line of there being I think 15,000 psychology graduations a year, with 200-400 jobs available for the jobs like criminal psychology, psychology-specific jobs...its an awful subject for employability but one that would be good for interest and general academia.

If it was up to me, would definitely go for History as it is a more merited subject given the skills you learn in essay writing and researching so history in my opinions the far better call.

For anyone looking for an employable degree: Law, Medicine, Midwifery, Accounting, Economics, Management, Real Estate, Engineering, Architecture and certain Languages are all a good call.

I've never done psychology but I know plenty of people who have, it's a ridiculously difficult subject. There isn't great employability as being a clinical psychologist, but because of its academic strength you've got a decent chance of getting into HR jobs.

Regarding criminology, it's one of those ones that sounds interesting but from what I've heard it's very difficult to get a related job - and even the police aren't especially interested in people with criminology degrees. History is interesting enough, but leads more to further study than a career.

But, despite all that, many graduate jobs look for any degree discipline. So if you don't mind being an accountant or technology consultant, do whatever the hell you want.

If it was up to me, would definitely go for History as it is a more merited subject given the skills you learn in essay writing and researching so history in my opinions the far better call. 

Nonsense. Psychology in terms of producing academic writing and research is extremely difficult and if you can produce scientific reports that are required for Psychology then those select and acute skills far outweigh anything history offers.

I think the best advice is to do whatever you think you'll enjoy the most. There's nothing worse being stuck in a course that you hate, you could always transfer once you're in uni, but that's a hassle most people could do without. Research the degrees you're looking at, and pick the one you feel you'd like. Most organisations don't look at what kind of degree you have unless it is a very specific job role such as a doctor/accountant/scientist that type of thing, they just look for the actual result of your degree.

If you enjoy History, pick History, it's a cracking subject to get involved in no matter the university you choose to take it at and there are many paths you can go down in a subject like that. It's quite generic as well, much more so than Criminology is. I'd suggest only to pick Criminology if that was the route you definitely wanted to take in the future.

How can you possibly know that unless you have done both degrees, which I am doubting.

My friend does History at Bath University and is up just now since he finished his exams. The standard of research that goes into an essay for History is nowhere near the standard that psych essays/reports require.

My friend does History at Bath University and is up just now since he finished his exams. The standard of research that goes into an essay for History is nowhere near the standard that psych essays/reports require.

Again, how can you possibly know this? Have you done his research for him and written his essays?

A guy I work with has a degree in Psychology and he said it was a piece of piss.

Just finished my last exam today. So happy - wee 4 month summer :)

Pretty sure I've done well in history and politics and I should've done enough to pass Italian so hopefully no resits