Who's Going To Uni?

Anybody here went to Napier? what the general consensus of people like?

Its like a flock of sheep. A couple people tend to make the decision, and then everyone agrees and does the same thing, but thats not important right now.

This, from my experience. On quite a few occasions, I've found it fucking staggering how when a tutor asks the class for an answer to some of the most basic stuff on electrical engineering, most of the class don't have a clue.

I'm so bored of presentations. Every other bloody week we have to do one and we get around 24 hours notice each time if we're lucky. This time, however, it's a presentation we make to the class, who then vote on the best one, which gets presented to the School of Health along with the best from all the other classes. The winning one becomes a campaign that will run through the year at the uni. We were all set for doing the bare minimum so it would all go away until our facilitator came and demanded that our class is going to win. I'm still trying to get away with doing as little as possible while making it look like I can be arsed.

I've had to do them most weeks and find them all right. I was meant to do one today though about this guy Georg Wilhelm Friedrich Hegel. I was reading about him and literally didn't understand a single word of what he was saying. I ended up shitting out of it and skipping the class like a coward.

The tutor had people volunteer for who they wanted to do on the first day and nobody volunteered for this guy except for me as I wasn't listening. Turns out he'd been telling people how notoriously difficult this guys stuff was (although I'm sure mostly everyone else in the class would have been fine but I'm definitely at the thicker end of the spectrum).

So for any future students, always pay attention before saying you'll do something.

Edited by JamboMikey

Why don't we all just agree that most Glasgow Uni students are c***s and Strathy students are people who wish they were Glasgow Uni c***s.

I'm a Glasgow student who might be heading for Strathy next year for a postgrad, can I get clarification as to where I fit in to this.

Why don't we all just agree that most Glasgow Uni students are c***s and Strathy students are people who wish they were Glasgow Uni c***s.

Not sure if the clown college graduates are qualified to make value judgements tbh.

Not sure if the clown college graduates are qualified to make value judgements tbh.

I'm not sure if someone that's managed to squeeze out almost 26,000 posts on on a forum is qualified to offer advice on student life.

I'm not sure if someone that's managed to squeeze out almost 26,000 posts on on a forum is qualified to offer advice on student life.

Can't complete basic counting tasks: can progress through the clown college with ease. Figures.

Edited by vikingTON

I got an unconditional to do Economics at Strathclyde...but when i went to the university I hated it! Minging Uni that felt like a prison!!

Despite the uni looking horrible, the economics course itself is actually pretty good. I'm just finishing 4th year and I'd definitely recommend it.

I've had to do them most weeks and find them all right. I was meant to do one today though about this guy Georg Wilhelm Friedrich Hegel. I was reading about him and literally didn't understand a single word of what he was saying. I ended up shitting out of it and skipping the class like a coward.

The tutor had people volunteer for who they wanted to do on the first day and nobody volunteered for this guy except for me as I wasn't listening. Turns out he'd been telling people how notoriously difficult this guys stuff was (although I'm sure mostly everyone else in the class would have been fine but I'm definitely at the thicker end of the spectrum).

So for any future students, always pay attention before saying you'll do something.

Three others from my group took your way out and didn't turn up either! In fairness, two of them weren't there when we were given the task so it didn't make any difference. The other one had part of the presentation she was meant to be preparing but she neither bothered her arse turning up nor sent the work to anyone else so the rest of us sat at the back of the class frantically putting together some other information while the other groups were actually doing their presentations to the class. Incredibly rude but needs must.

More annoying was me having to do the talking. I hate standing up in front of thirty students and talking, especially when I've no chance of knowing much about it because I don't have the time to research it. It is always me or one other girl that has to do the bulk of the work and get up and present it - and it's usually me. I'm fairly outspoken within the group of 7, I can put ideas across fairly well so when the lecturer says 'group 3, what have you got for us?' everyone sits looking at me waiting for me to do it all. No one else ever volunteers so I do the talking then share the credit! Two weeks ago we were given a scenario and had to work out a plan of action. One girl took the paperwork home and I suggested that someone should start a group chat on Facebook so we could discuss it later, though I wasn't going straight home so I'd catch up with them later that night. No one bothered starting the discussion and the girl with the paperwork didn't turn up the next day. I had to just make it up on the spot. Went alright actually. Anyway, the module finished this week so it can get to f**k. :D

If you're tutor is letting the rest of your group away with all that, then they are seriously not doing their job properly!

Well, no, quite. If I were taking a class and someone was doing all the talking for a group I'd be inclined to start picking on others and getting them to speak up, but maybe that's just common sense.

That said, if I want a reference when I start looking for work, at least uni staff will have an idea who I actually am! Though I also understand how this could work against me too...

Despite the uni looking horrible, the economics course itself is actually pretty good. I'm just finishing 4th year and I'd definitely recommend it.

I'm in Aberdeen doing Economics and Real Estate...the Real Estate department is top drawer but Economics...a mixed bag to say the least!

Love Aberdeen Uni but its a catch-22 as its obviously the last place you want to spend your time but coincidentally its the nicest place in Aberdeen by a landslide so you have no choice!

Never applied to Glasgow...still don't know why! Glasgow would have been a shout. I met the Strathclyde economics lecturer (the irish dude?) when I visited and he seemed top-bin...still never swayed me in that direction though!

Can't complete basic counting tasks: can progress through the clown college with ease. Figures.

Indeed I looked at the profile views by accident.

My point is now invalid because you don't have under 26,000 posts, it's nearly 47,000. Oh.

I got an unconditional to do Economics at Strathclyde...but when i went to the university I hated it! Minging Uni that felt like a prison!!

Bar the main building, Glasgow is exactly the same - some god awful structures litter the campus (Boyd Orr, Adam Smith etc.)

I'm going to stick my neck out and say 'yes'.

Thanks for that

I'm joint honours law with politics, now 4th year.

The course has probably changed a bit but any recommendations on studying for the comparative politics 1B exam - don't even know where the hell to start with it

Well, no, quite. If I were taking a class and someone was doing all the talking for a group I'd be inclined to start picking on others and getting them to speak up, but maybe that's just common sense.

That said, if I want a reference when I start looking for work, at least uni staff will have an idea who I actually am! Though I also understand how this could work against me too...

Thats what I do. I tend to make a wee note of who is speaking and who isn't and try to ensure that everyone contributes over the weeks. But perhaps I'm just an amazing tutor? :P