Who's Going To Uni?

Does anyone know if there is any presentation work involved in engineering, accountancy or statistics degrees?

There is usually presentation work in practically every degree. Got a mate who does engineering and he's had to do a few already in his first semester in first year.

Edited by Martin

Does anyone know if there is any presentation work involved in engineering, accountancy or statistics degrees?

At Edinburgh for engineering (all disciplines) you do a interdiciplinary group design project that has a presentation at the end of it and there is a couple of group presentations in the first semester of first year . In Civil Engineering you also do a 'sustainability work shop' in third year which involves presenting a poster to other students as well as people from industry. I've no idea if there are anymore other than the two I mentioned for Chemical, Mechanical and Electrical Engineering.

When I was at Uni, the main sport for students seemed to be Rugby, not just for playing but watching too. Football was very rarely mentioned! This always surprised me, is this still the case today? Or is it even a case?

Bit of a mixed bag at Glasgow, I know plenty of football fans here - and very few of them are OF fans actually. Amazing what an education can do.

Nah, Glasgow has absolutely tonnes of rugby folk. There are still quite a few people who like football but not nearly the proportion you experience at school. I've also met lots of Old Firm fans - both playing against them in leagues and in classes/halls etc, particularly Celtic.

I think I've had to do five in the (first) three years of Civil Engineering at Strathclyde. One was solo and the other 4 were as groups. Only 3 of them were actually part of the class grade.

So after a little over three years, I submitted my PhD thesis on Tuesday.

I'm now in this sort of post-submission, pre-viva purgatory and keep thinking of sections that might have something wrong with them :ph34r: But I take heart from the stats - at Dundee Uni, 90%+ of theses that are submitted pass with minor corrections and only around 1% need a revise and resubmit or fail outright And even then, the vast majority of those were submitted without supervisor consent.

It would be good, though, to know what the line between minor and major corrections is. So far, anything I've spotted can go down in the typo column, except maybe an incomplete reference (I didn't list the editors of the book, although I did in another reference to another paper in said book).

Good luck, seems like only yesterday we Were teasing you about what lay ahead of you!

FFSdry.gif I suppose it's alright if it's in a group but I'm shite at doing presentations and wouldn't like to rely on it for a good grade

If you want a degree you'll have to get used to the idea of presentations. After the first one it is a piece of pish.

One of the best ways of learning as well because you have to properly know what you are on about.

Had my last exam on monday for history - think it went quite well. Already got full marks for seminars and a B2 so barring a total disaster I've passed

Also handed in my CEES essay today - never doing the subject again and it makes up 50% of the grade for this semester so a pass will do me fine in that

Just delighted to have a few weeks of fannying about over the festive season. God bless pre-christmas exams biggrin.gif

Depends who you hang about with really, my friends are mostly all pro-football but you do see a lot more groups when out in clubs that are rugby players, dressed in all the same attire. There are quite a lot of Irish at Dundee as well and they seem to be more interested in rugby. Personally I just think it's because folk think lassies love beefcakes strutting about the nightclubs thinking they're the dugs baws...

Pretty much. The rugby types are just a lot more noticeable because they pull on their scabby jumpers and ties at every opportunity, but its the same group out every Wednesday and Saturday. Bearing in mind that they're the entirity of the Rugby community and the Football community at Dundee spans 3 (I think?) University affiliated teams, in addition to the twelve Sunday League teams putting games on at Riverside in the perishing cold, in addition to the endless games of fives, sixes and sevens down there during the week on the 3g...

So in short: Rugby fans are louder and bigger arseholes, but still a minority.

There's a ridiculous number of Irish rugby and GAA type sasijs at my uni.

Only outnumbered by the fucking teuchtars.

Shameful.

At my uni the GAA society recently organised their own version of 'take me out' at the student union. Thankfully, it was a disaster as it was only the needy fatties who turned up.

The Irish will do anything to ride our women.

Just heard today that I've been selected for interview (in London in January) for the funding award that I need to be able to take the LLM at UPenn. Means I've made the last 24 of the UK applicants for funding to go to Penn for postgraduate study next year. This shit could be about to get real!

Just heard today that I've been selected for interview (in London in January) for the funding award that I need to be able to take the LLM at UPenn. Means I've made the last 24 of the UK applicants for funding to go to Penn for postgraduate study next year. This shit could be about to get real!

That's great news, congratulations!

Good going, congratulations!

Cracking stuff, well done.