Who's Going To Uni?

Nope, all the events at both the QMU and the GUU are freshers pass only. Unless something has changed, but I don't see why they would.

That is total utter shite if true. So even if you only wanted to go to one or two events you've still to pay £40 for a pass? f**k off Glasgow you robbing b*****ds!

As far as I can tell my only class for fourth year is 2-5 on a Thursday.

However I have six essays (four x 4000, 2 x 2500) and two twenty minute presentations to be done by November, before two exams in December. That's quite independent from the halfway mark I'm expected to meet for my dissertation.

Fuck. :unsure:

Anybody at Edinburgh used the new "Learn" system which has replaced WebCT? I think it's a huge improvement - doesn't look like it was designed in 1983, runs much more quickly and seems fairly easy to navigate through.

Last year for me this year, really can't be arsed going back at all after a summer of working and enjoying that but I'm going to make a big push to do things right this year (this is the only Freshers' Week since I started where I've been in the library). I've got 2 lectures a week this year so my time should be much more flexible which is good for my dissertation. 8-9 months of hard slog and I'm done with academia for the rest of my life, which is a tremendous thought. Need to make sure I get a 2.1 this year.

Timetable isn't confirmed but looks like I'll only be in Monday and Friday this year. As it stands I'll have a lecture 9-10 on Mondays then be waiting about for my next class at 3 which is good, means I'll have nothing to do but go to the library and work on my dissertation in that time as well as having those three days off for it.

Edited by Dunning1874

Anyone else been paid their SAAS early?

Are you with RBS? Any payment due in on a Monday becomes available on a Saturday. If you check your statement on another day, it'll still say you got paid on the Monday, even if you spend it now. You won't go over drawn if you do spend it now either.

Anybody at Edinburgh used the new "Learn" system which has replaced WebCT? I think it's a huge improvement - doesn't look like it was designed in 1983, runs much more quickly and seems fairly easy to navigate through.

Last year was the only year I had to use WebCT and it was absolutely dire. Slow as a week in jail, wouldn't work on mobile and just a nightmare to use. Glad to be shot of it.

f**k my department(Civil Engineering). I got a resit result back as "Att. Discounted". I thought it was attendance but my friend thinks attempt. I've had some health issues this year so I'm gathering that it's that because I failed the exam but because of my health issues they're not counting it as a fail (I'd have thought that because I should get two attempts per year then I'd be allowed to resit before 4th year starts but whatever).

I emailed my year advisor but he's out of office until tomorrow, but the shitty thing is any appeals would need to be in by Tuesday. I also emailed someone else(he was the year advisor for year 2 so I thought he might be able to help) but he hasn't emailed back, despite sending mass email to the whole year advertising various things.

The problem is that I need to pass every class to get into fourth year, so it looks like I'll need to resit that one class next year. But I've had no emails back and there's been no explanation about the situation.

Ugh.

Will be doing my Uni applications soon. People who have done/are doing Statistics at Glasgow, is there any difference between the BSc course and the MA course? Not sure which one to apply for.

Doesn't matter which one you apply for. At Glasgow you apply to get into the school not a course. I applied for Applied Mathematics and I'm now doing Stats. BSc is the honours course over 4 years, MA is the masters which has an extra year - possibly 2 if you do the one with a work placement.

Edit: I should've said you make your decision for honours at the end of second year.

Edited by buddie06smfc

Doesn't matter which one you apply for. At Glasgow you apply to get into the school not a course. I applied for Applied Mathematics and I'm now doing Stats. BSc is the honours course over 4 years, MA is the masters which has an extra year - possibly 2 if you do the one with a work placement.

Edit: I should've said you make your decision for honours at the end of second year.

In the prospectus it says that the MA and BSc are both four years and the MSci is five years. The only difference I can see between the MA and the BSc in the prospectus is that the MA doesn't seem to ask for Higher Maths. If the courses are pretty much the same though then I'll probably just apply for the BSc.