Who's Going To Uni?

You don't tend to get a bursary AND a loan. I wasn't entitled to a loan to do my Masters because of the PATHETIC bursary of £1100. I mean seriously, what the f**k are you meant to do with that piddly amount over the course of a year (living in central Edinburgh)?

I thought you were complaining about £1100 a month for a second there, I was delighted with £950 a month for my MSc. This disparity in bursary obviously means that you should have done a better course.

Not only have I heard the term "Junior Honours" many a time but I'm also an Edinburgh graduate. I do believe this gives me the right to look down my nose at every single one of you 8);):lol:

Sorry, but my uni has 24 hour libarary access. In your face!

I thought you were complaining about £1100 a month for a second there, I was delighted with £950 a month for my MSc. This disparity in bursary obviously means that you should have done a better course.

Or maybe having considerably less funds in my bank... more likely that would have made more of a difference! :rolleyes:

Even if I did the best Masters in the world I would never have got £950 a month as a bursary...

EDIT: Reworded as that seemed a little unfair...

Edited by SaltyTON

Or maybe having considerably less funds in my bank... more likely that would have made more of a difference! :rolleyes:

Even if I did the best Masters in the world I would never have got £950 a month as a bursary...

EDIT: Reworded as that seemed a little unfair...

Nope. There was no means testing for my bursary. It was provided by the EPSRC. There were 8 of us on the course and 7 of us were fully funded with bursaries around £900 per month. The eighth guy was from India and was paid by his employer. You just need to be studying something that people are willing to pay for.

in a moment of madness i've booked a room in blackfriars halls in glasgow. here's hoping that i'll be the only roaster in my flat.

I'm staying there this year also. My organisation was piss poor last year so I missed the boat for getting a proper flat.

I'm not liking the new MyPlace set-up. It's incredibly clumsy compared to last year.

Nope. There was no means testing for my bursary. It was provided by the EPSRC. There were 8 of us on the course and 7 of us were fully funded with bursaries around £900 per month. The eighth guy was from India and was paid by his employer. You just need to be studying something that people are willing to pay for.

You're right. I had people throwing money at me left, right and centre for my PhD too - probably because I am also studying a worthwhile and useful subject.

I've ended up with £1250 per month from Carnegie, even though I have "funds in my bank account".

You're right. I had people throwing money at me left, right and centre for my PhD too - probably because I am also studying a worthwhile and useful subject.

I've ended up with £1250 per month from Carnegie, even though I have "funds in my bank account".

PhD's are always paid though! I saw one paying £21k in Environmental Health (what I do) down in London!

Does Glasgow offer much in the way of Modern History? If not then their score really isn't relevant to me. Still waiting on Honours Validation on Pegasus, still waiting on SAAS (now working on courses of week 19th September), all I can do at the moment is read more and more stuff for the dissertation.

Anyone else having bother with MyCampus? I cant seem to enroll for anything, SAAS are bawbags anawl. I'm going to Glasgow, this is my first contribution to this thread.

MyCampus - yes, so is everyone. It is a shocking system, it told my entire course that classes start on the 12th, once it was finally convinced I had met the requirements (which I had, comfortably) - which simply isn't right. Just keep whining to IT services.

SAAS are bawbags, I've been trying to phone them for about 3 days now and haven't even made it into the queue. Tomorrow if I don't get through I will pay them a visit.

Despite all the dodgy press lately, the morons have left the Hetherington so the melodrama is over. With the choice of the two unions and nearby Byres Road you'll have to be a remarkably obtuse human being to not manage to enjoy yourself.

Ive actually already been at Glasgow part time for the last year so I know my way about the place, just cant seem to get any joy out of SAAS at all. At the moment all it says is that my "application is in progress" when I try to track it. How long does it typically take them to get your award letter out to you? I only actually managed to get my application finished on the 15th of last month, this was again due to an error on their part saying I had already applied (clearly hadnt). I'm going to give myCampus another go tomorrow and if I cant sort it i'll need to contact my adviser, its a real pain in the arse.

Ive actually already been at Glasgow part time for the last year so I know my way about the place, just cant seem to get any joy out of SAAS at all. At the moment all it says is that my "application is in progress" when I try to track it. How long does it typically take them to get your award letter out to you? I only actually managed to get my application finished on the 15th of last month, this was again due to an error on their part saying I had already applied (clearly hadnt). I'm going to give myCampus another go tomorrow and if I cant sort it i'll need to contact my adviser, its a real pain in the arse.

If its their fault I would try and kick up a stink although it's a nightmare to get through on the phone nowadays. I don't know how long I'd expect your award letter to be out. Thats quite a while after the guarantee date so you could be waiting until nearly October.

Good luck!

I remember SAAS announced there was a final day for applications to be processed in time for the start of uni. Anyone else apply on this very last day? I've still not heard anything and i'll be away on exchange before my course in Aberdeen even starts.

Ooft, any idea when my first payment would be if thats the case? Going to Liechtenstein/Spain and was hoping to top up the spends with some loan/bursary dosh.

As soon as its processed I'd imagine

I remember SAAS announced there was a final day for applications to be processed in time for the start of uni. Anyone else apply on this very last day? I've still not heard anything and i'll be away on exchange before my course in Aberdeen even starts.

I applied one day before that deadline this year, and I've got my initial award notice, but I need the evidence processed to get anything even faintly useful.

Anyone else having bother with MyCampus? I cant seem to enroll for anything, SAAS are bawbags anawl. I'm going to Glasgow, this is my first contribution to this thread.

First two sentences = views of everyone.

I actually buckled and phoned my adviser today.

Her response was simple "there's been a delay cause, uh, I don't know how to work MyCampus".

I made my feelings known about Glasgow a few days ago.

MyCampus - yes, so is everyone. It is a shocking system, it told my entire course that classes start on the 12th, once it was finally convinced I had met the requirements (which I had, comfortably) - which simply isn't right. Just keep whining to IT services.

SAAS are bawbags, I've been trying to phone them for about 3 days now and haven't even made it into the queue. Tomorrow if I don't get through I will pay them a visit.

Despite all the dodgy press lately, the morons have left the Hetherington so the melodrama is over. With the choice of the two unions and nearby Byres Road you'll have to be a remarkably obtuse human being to not manage to enjoy yourself.

I saw this on your facebook, but I can only strongly advise you to not go. Everyone is having trouble with SAAS, and assuming you get the train it will cost you about £17. Once you get there I don't think they have a walk in service so I can't see you getting anywhere.

Unless you need the funding urgently I'd just wade it out like everyone else.

As soon as its processed I'd imagine

I applied one day before that deadline this year, and I've got my initial award notice, but I need the evidence processed to get anything even faintly useful.

I think I'm in the same position, they say an award letter has been sent out, and it has, but it only says they will pay my fees. I think I need to send them pay information for my parent because of the change in circumstances before I get my bursary.

But do you scan it or photo copy and post it? I would ask SAAS but...you know.