Who's Going To Uni?

Start third year maths at Dundee in two weeks. Think I have to take 4 compulsory modules this semester all with two lectures and a tutorial. I have Tuesdays off too so pretty good although I would much rather have Wednesdays off

Uh what?

Are you a bit spesh or something?

Junior Honours is the first of two years of Honours after which your results are aggregated to determine your degree classification. This is perfectly normal in pretty much all Scottish Universities.

It has never been called that at my uni, and I've got two honours degrees. Junior honours, my arse! Your final year is honours, completing third year gets you a pass degree whether you get 40% or 90%, there is nothing honours about it!

In fact, all four years of my first degree were averaged to get the classification.

post-1530-0-29844300-1314688649_thumb.jp

Edited by SaltyTON

It has never been called that at my uni, and I've got two honours degrees. Junior honours, my arse! Your final year is honours, completing third year gets you a pass degree whether you get 40% or 90%, there is nothing honours about it!

In fact, all four years of my first degree were averaged to get the classification.

For me it's a 50/50 split between 3rd year and 4th year. I had just assumed this was the term everywhere.

You've got a habit of this sort of thing. You also claimed there was no such thing as a class prize, you think all degree marking systems you haven't personally experienced are confusing, and yet again, you are showing a complete lack of flexibility. Is it a Greenock thing? In our department, they don't use the term Junior Honours, but the first year and a half of your Computing Units don't count towards your final degree classification as they are just basic modules. Its only once you get into the dedicated "Honours Units" that they start to count. Maybe you shouldn't have gone to a uni with such low standards as to count first year work? 8)

I start 2nd year next week, however I can't access my timetable at all, it's severley pissing me off, cause I refuse to head into the campus just to get on the uni's computers.

Anyway before it wouldn't allow me access, turns out after week 1, I am only in on a tuesday 9-6, lovely. However I have an option module to decide when I get in on Monday, probably go for something like Intro to Modern architecture, since it fits in with my course and I did the Contemporary one last year and it wasn't particularly hard, just a bunch of essays to do in my own time, with no lectures.

Like Gaz said, we don't all do complete spacker courses at the 9th best University in Scotland for Law, ranked miles behind Edinburgh Fucking Napier by the Guardian.

Junior Honours is an integral part of almost every 4-year LLB in Scotland, I'm going to guess most 4-year MAs, and quite possibly other qualifications too. Just because Strathclyde, let's remember a red-brick that has only been allowed to hand-out University qualifications since 1964, structures their courses differently doesn't mean that Edinburgh, Aberdeen, St Andrews, and Glasgow just "make this stuff up", notwithstanding their cumulative 2102 years with University status.

Junior honours is the first of two years of Honours courses which count towards your final degree classification. Depending on the course you do, either all or part of the Junior honours grades are included in the final classification, but all of the courses from your Senior Honours year are included. Universities do this because they believe the first two years of study to be of no real worth to the classification and they are only interested in how you actually did in the hard stuff beyond attaining a sufficient GPA to qualify for the honours years.

But never mind, I'll let you get back to your "only one grading system allowed so Glasgow can't possibly demand 82% for a 1st class honours degree because Strathclyde said so" world.

Edited by Ad Lib

Like Gaz said, we don't all do complete spacker courses at the 9th best University in Scotland for Law, ranked miles behind Edinburgh Fucking Napier by the Guardian.

Junior Honours is an integral part of almost every 4-year LLB in Scotland, I'm going to guess most 4-year MAs, and quite possibly other qualifications too. Just because Strathclyde, let's remember a red-brick that has only been allowed to hand-out University qualifications since 1964, structures their courses differently doesn't mean that Edinburgh, Aberdeen, St Andrews, and Glasgow just "make this stuff up", notwithstanding their cumulative 2102 years with University status.

Junior honours is the first of two years of Honours courses which count towards your final degree classification. Depending on the course you do, either all or part of the Junior honours grades are included in the final classification, but all of the courses from your Senior Honours year are included. Universities do this because they believe the first two years of study to be of no real worth to the classification and they are only interested in how you actually did in the hard stuff beyond attaining a sufficient GPA to qualify for the honours years.

But never mind, I'll let you get back to your "only one grading system allowed so Glasgow can't possibly demand 82% for a 1st class honours degree because Strathclyde said so" world.

Pretty sure it's not just Strathclyde that Salty's been to but as I've not got a degree nor am I working towards one my contribution won't count.

I've never experienced the term "junior honours". It must be some new age shit, make folk think that their subjects are important and all that....... It appears to be working for Ad Lib anyway.

Thank you. It's clearly a term made up by Glasgow Uni's newbies to make third year seem more important than it is.

And what does my degree classification mean anyway Gaz, wow that I have had two strokes and have a terrible memory... oh dear! Despite that I have three degrees, so I couldn't care that you got a degree which required 3% more than I got in whatever piss easy arts course you took.

I wouldn't do an arts degree if you paid me, life is too short.

Oh, and I did my masters at Napier, the best uni for what I did...

"Junior Honours is an integral part of almost every 4-year LLB in Scotland, I'm going to guess most 4-year MAs, and quite possibly other qualifications too." - Could the fact I did science degrees (BSc hons) have something to do with it then... :1eye

EDIT: The italics show terms which translate as "I haven't a fucking clue".

Edited by SaltyTON

Thank you. It's clearly a term made up by Glasgow Uni's newbies to make third year seem more important than it is.

And what does my degree classification mean anyway Gaz, wow that I have had two strokes and have a terrible memory... oh dear! Despite that I have three degrees, so I couldn't care that you got a degree which required 3% more than I got in whatever piss easy arts course you took.

"Junior Honours is an integral part of almost every 4-year LLB in Scotland, I'm going to guess most 4-year MAs, and quite possibly other qualifications too." - Could the fact I did science degrees (BSc hons) have something to do with it then... :1eye

Well, if you get a first, thats better than a 2:1, which is better than a 2:2.

I'm at Edinburgh. And my third year is worth 50% of my overall mark, so putting "junior" in front of it would actually make it sound less important than it is.

I'm sorry to hear you've had health problems, but you're coming across as a bit of a dick here, especially with your sniffing about the arts.

I've never heard the term Junior Honours either. And I have absolutely no idea what percentage of my final degree classification third year will make up either, which is a little worrying given I start it in a fortnight. Should probably look that up.