Who's Going To Uni?

Hobbes is turgid. Rousseau is horrendous, but almost pales into normality when you're then made to read Marx.

Locke is a fascinating read. Good stuff as well.

I liked Rosseau, perhaps because the book was short, hard work was never my really for me. Locke, for me, was the man though. For some reason we never did Marx, i can't remember why. Part of me thinks it was on the agenda in first year, but we never got round to it, or there was only a few lectures, so i didn't bother. It's getting to be a long time ago now. sad.gif

Edited by calum_gers

I think my lecturers are always on the verge of tears, it isn't a particularly good job and they have to cope with seeing younger more vibrant people every day. I'd hate it.

I'm sure for £45k a year (for a science lecturer, don't know about a social one) you can learn to cope.

They're not paid to lecture anyway, they're paid to do research.

^^^

Rousseu is the best to read, Locke comes across as a bitter drunk in a letter concerning tolerance.

I'm still not looked at Marx though.

Rousseau is a fucking moron. I find myself screaming "no don't be ridiculous" every second paragraph and he is often unnecessarily abstract and arrogant in presupposing his own unexplained definitions of key concepts. At one point for example, he says that it is not necessary for him to explain what he means by freedom, before going on to claim that freedom cannot exist in the state of nature!

I liked Rosseau, perhaps because the book was short, hard work was never my really for me. Locke, for me, was the man though. For some reason we never did Marx, i can't remember why. Part of me thinks it was on the agenda in first year, but we never got round to it, or there was only a few lectures, so i didn't bother. It's getting to be a long time ago now. sad.gif

Marx replaced someone else in the Political Thought module just last year IIRC.

Can anyone tell me what stirling uni's halls are like?

Nice enough. Better quality than any flats I've lived in in Stirling anyway. Only real problem is the fire alarms. When I was there I don't think we went two consecutive nights without the alarms going off. The hall attendants therefore started keeping us out longer and longer, which in the cold and the middle of the night got pretty frustrating.

Only real complaint.

Heard Geddes is pretty horrible but I never went inside.

Nice enough. Better quality than any flats I've lived in in Stirling anyway. Only real problem is the fire alarms. When I was there I don't think we went two consecutive nights without the alarms going off. The hall attendants therefore started keeping us out longer and longer, which in the cold and the middle of the night got pretty frustrating.

Only real complaint.

I was only ever outside about seven or eight times over the entire year, and the alarm only went off twice in the middle of the night (well, three, but I was passed out drunk in someone else's bed and didn't hear it) which isn't too bad for student halls.

Geddes is indeed pretty manky, it's called "the ghetto" for a reason. I believe it's due to be renovated although when I'm not sure. AKD and Murray are fine though, and although I've never been in ASH considering they're the en-suite rooms I'm sure they're nice enough. I shared a kitchen with 15 others which seems to be a lot higher than anyone else, but for me it was a good thing as you meet more people. Toilets etc are cleaned every day so there's nothing to worry about on that score. On the whole, although obviously they're not exactly somewhere you'd choose to live, halls in Stirling are perfectly OK. They are prison-ish right enough, but if it's comfortable surroundings you're after stay at home and travel because you won't get lovely student halls anywhere.

Edited by Paco

I was only ever outside about seven or eight times over the entire year, and the alarm only went off twice in the middle of the night (well, three, but I was passed out drunk in someone else's bed and didn't hear it) which isn't too bad for student halls.

Geddes is indeed pretty manky, it's called "the ghetto" for a reason. I believe it's due to be renovated although when I'm not sure. AKD and Murray are fine though, and although I've never been in ASH considering they're the en-suite rooms I'm sure they're nice enough. I shared a kitchen with 15 others which seems to be a lot higher than anyone else, but for me it was a good thing as you meet more people. Toilets etc are cleaned every day so there's nothing to worry about on that score. On the whole, although obviously they're not exactly somewhere you'd choose to live, halls in Stirling are perfectly OK. They are prison-ish right enough, but if it's comfortable surroundings you're after stay at home and travel because you won't get lovely student halls anywhere.

No no, im not expecting 5 star accomodation! I know it's going to be very different from home, a lot more uncomfortable, but thats fine. I just wanted to get some reviews on the place, and I now know that I should try to avoid Geddes! Most places that my mates stay share a place with maybe 5 others, so 15 is quite unexpected - perhaps that is too much...or as you say, its better as you're meeting other people. thanks for the info smile.gif

No no, im not expecting 5 star accomodation! I know it's going to be very different from home, a lot more uncomfortable, but thats fine. I just wanted to get some reviews on the place, and I now know that I should try to avoid Geddes! Most places that my mates stay share a place with maybe 5 others, so 15 is quite unexpected - perhaps that is too much...or as you say, its better as you're meeting other people. thanks for the info smile.gif

If your mates are sharing with five or so people they'll be in flats, not halls. It's not like you're crowded on top of each other with the fifteen, we were spread over three seperate corridors, and as I said anyway fifteen is the highest number I've ever heard anyone mention - most seem to be nine or ten.

Stirling's great, if you decide to go there I'm sure you'll love it. All the best.

I was in Murray, and it was great. Yeah, the halls are a bit breeze blocky and basic, but really, its perfectly liveable. Halls are a brilliant experience, one of the best things about going to Uni! I shared a kitchen with 7 others, and there was more than enough room. You get your own room and sink after all, so its not like you don't have any personal space...but you do get to meet loads of people!

I ended up spending the next three years sharing flats with folk who I met in halls, I loved Undergrad in Stirling! :D

It's perfectly fine.

Geddes is indeed pretty manky, it's called "the ghetto" for a reason.

Pish! No it isn't

I now know that I should try to avoid Geddes!

No you shouldn't.

Finished my literature review for my dissertation... well I say finished, it's at the right length, but I will probably go and visit the building with all the books tomorrow (the bookery (?) ) to get my project supervisor's doctoral dissertation. The way I see it she can only appreciate it if I put a reference in to her work, can't she?

Now only have two things that need completed before Christmas, a 3000 word essay on enhancement within Strategic Environmental Assessment and a computer assignment on Contaminated Land Exposure Assessment.

Really had hoped to have started studying tomorrow, but think it'll be put off a bit...