Who's Going To Uni?

Appropriately enough, we're actually following the American system! But we get some time off, it varies. I think sometimes they give the students a week, others its just a few days. Theres generally assignments and stuff to work on during it though.

My first year semester 2 was an absolute b*****d, especially on Fridays: 9-5, with only an hour for lunch.

Then, just when I thought it was all over, we were hit with a lab report to write up over the aforementioned Easter Vacation. I still look back and shudder.

Aye, seems like need to put in a bit of a shift this semester. Quite looking forward tae it though. Will be nice to get a bit of variation in life instead of coaching all the time.

Kev, looks like we're in the same seminar for public management and admin - nae the biggest of options for seminar times :lol:

Aye it isnae as popular a module as I thought it would be. I'm no looking forward to the seminar work in that Business Organisations module. Looks really hard. Expected to give 15 minute presentations to get your mark and its a fair whack of your overall grade.

On the other hand my timetable is just excellent. Monday 11-12, Tuesday 12-4, Wednesday 11-1, Thursday 12-4, Friday Aff. Managed to get in early and get all my classes close together. Can use my railcard everyday as well thanks to the not too early starts.

Aye it isnae as popular a module as I thought it would be. I'm no looking forward to the seminar work in that Business Organisations module. Looks really hard. Expected to give 15 minute presentations to get your mark and its a fair whack of your overall grade.

On the other hand my timetable is just excellent. Monday 11-12, Tuesday 12-4, Wednesday 11-1, Thursday 12-4, Friday Aff. Managed to get in early and get all my classes close together. Can use my railcard everyday as well thanks to the not too early starts.

Aye, a 15 minute presentation isnae the best but the time does fly by. I hope I can skive at least 1 seminar to go and sit a coaching course on a Wednesday. Got my mate to sign me up for the Management seminar but didn't realise it would clash :(

My timetable is dandy as well. Mon 11-12, Tues 12-5, Wed 12-3 and Thurs 12-4. All relatively decent starts. Stirling Uni students are quite lucky in getting to choose seminar times. At some other uni's, you have a fixed timetable which would be a pain in the arse, especially if you need to be in at 9am and you finish at 5.

Incidently, and by pure conincedence, I have found myself with my pal in two out of three classes. This is great because he is my only good pal who is also a history student and I have previously never been in the same history class as him. So thats a bonus I guess! :)

I recently received an unconditional offer for Politics & Economics at Edinburgh, starting this September, which was my second choice (I was never getting into Politics & Law there, despite my decent grades). Fairly excited but I'm slightly concerned I've biten off a bit more than I can chew. We'll just have to wait and see, I suppose.

Do we have some sort of yuppy initiation in this thread? :D

Cancelled, doesn't exist or the 9am lecture is on another day?

Cancelled. The lecturer just didn't turn up, which no doubt means they'll have us in at 9am some other day for this lecture since they did the same last semester.

It at least means I have a bit of time to do other work which I was planning on doing tonight.

I recently received an unconditional offer for Politics & Economics at Edinburgh, starting this September, which was my second choice (I was never getting into Politics & Law there, despite my decent grades). Fairly excited but I'm slightly concerned I've biten off a bit more than I can chew. We'll just have to wait and see, I suppose.

Do we have some sort of yuppy initiation in this thread? :D

I'm in First Year doing Economics at Edinburgh the now. I had done no Economics before and am finding the course to be decent enough.

• 2 weeks later...

Is it sad to dress "up" for an in-class presentation, or just good practice?

I'm not talking about a top hat and tails or anything, just wearing a shirt and a jumper instead of my usual "crap-joke" t-shirt.

I don't think its sad, most of my students normally seem to make some sort of effort. No real need to IMO, but I think people tend to feel a bit more confident and in the mood if they are a little bit better dressed.

I was thinking about that as well actually. Might help.

I've been a bad lad this week. Only made a couple of cameo appearences at Uni. Got some catching up to do already.

I think I probably will do, but the rest of my class is the Canterbury Trackie brigade, so I'll probably be the only one.

What case study have you got? I didn't realise it was in chronological order, so I'm first up in my class with the organisational metaphors of Ryanair and Virgin Atlantic. *sigh*

I "dressed up" twice for presentations, both in my final year.

First time was for our team project presentations to the external "client". That was just an open-necked shirt, with suit trousers, but still smarter than my normal attire.

Second time was for my individual project presentation at the degree show. That was a suit and tie affair, as tends to be normal in our depart...er, sorry, school.

I'm in First Year doing Economics at Edinburgh the now. I had done no Economics before and am finding the course to be decent enough.

I'm slightly concerned about economics, whilst it has been pretty decent this year there is a lot of maths in second year and as someone who didn't do higher maths I may not be able to get the C1 you need to get into honours. Unfortunately, politics and history are not really degrees I want to do so might have to cram 1st and 2nd Business Management into next year. Worst case scenario I need to do another year at uni before getting into honours but it is my own fault for applying on the deadline day and not properly researching my courses.