Who's Going To Uni?

;):lol: :lol:

Nice try, I was accepted to Napier and RGIT (as it was then) but decided to go to Nautical college instead. Worked out very well too, I am in a good job with 30 weeks leave per year and a very enviable salary. Thanks for your concern though.

Aah, nautical college. Twinned with the 'university of life'.

You "don't think" you care?

Dear me, perhaps if you'd chosen a degree at University instead of learning how to "come aboard" you'd have more insight into what your mind truly wants.

You are correct, perhaps if I'd gone to university (only needs a capital if it forms part of a university's name, I believe) and gained a masters degree, like my younger brother, I may well have a better idea of whether or not I really do care about the capitalisation of words but I'd also be stuck behind a desk six days a week stressing about work and wondering what to do with my four whole weeks annual leave.

Then again, I think I'll stick with four blocks of four weeks leave with a two weeks on two weeks off rota in between, three days pay on top of my salary for every day extra I choose to do for the company, being allowed to play with big powerful engines and knowing that I have control of £30M worth of machinery (gives me a hard on that one).

These are our semester dates for this year:

Autumn Semester Monday 14 September 2009 - Monday 21 December 2009

Teaching Starts: Wednesday 16 September 2009

Mid-semester break: Monday 26 October 2009 - Friday 30 October 2009 (inclusive)

Teaching Ends: Tuesday 1 December 2009

Examination Period Begins: Tuesday 8 December 2009

Spring Semester: Monday 15 February 2010 - Saturday 5 June 2010

Teaching Starts: Wednesday 17 February 2010

Mid-semester break: Friday 2 April 2010 - Friday 9 April 2010 (inclusive)

Teaching Ends: Friday 7 May 2010

Examination Period Begins: Tuesday 18 May 2010

Ah we get 3 clear weeks at Easter and exams finish 3 days after yours start.

Heriot-watt session dates are:

Session Dates 2009-10

Semester 1

Teaching 14 September* - 4 December 2009

Assessment 7 December - 18 December 2009

Break 21 December 2009 - 8 January 2010

Semester 2

Teaching 11 January - 1 April 2010**

Break 5 April - 23 April 2010

Assessment 26 April - 21 May 2010

Pretty good really.

Just trying to point out that even with your high standard of academia you are still prone to basic errors, proving that university education in the main is as worth while as some of those certificates which I posted a link to.

If you can't even manage to produce a two line post without mistakes then I fear that all the generous state sponsorship you have enjoyed has been a complete waste of time. How do you think you will get on when you have to produce a CV for prospective employers to consider?

I don't have a high standard of academia, but if I did I still wouldn't read over my posts on an internet forum and I will still make the odd mistake and no doubt someone will point it out.

I have already constructed a CV and have already been in employment, I imagine that were I too update it I would take care to not make mistakes. This does remind me of my hasty ucas application where the first line of my personal statement contained a rather embarrassing typo and still got offers from all the universities I applied for. No doubt this is a damning indictment of the university system in this country and all further graduates will be tainted by the fact someone made a typo and was still allowed into the institution.

I hope I will take more time in my future applications but I imagine employers are more impressed with the content of the CV as opposed to whether or not it contains any typos.

Only at the fortunes of my football club at the moment.

Travelled the world on a decent salary, more time off than the Queen, paid for my house and car, LOADS of time to sit in front of a PC and wind up people, I love my life. Apart from the football thing.

Cheers for that but I don't have exams to pass or jobs to find so I don't think I care that much.

You are correct, perhaps if I'd gone to university (only needs a capital if it forms part of a university's name, I believe) and gained a masters degree, like my younger brother, I may well have a better idea of whether or not I really do care about the capitalisation of words but I'd also be stuck behind a desk six days a week stressing about work and wondering what to do with my four whole weeks annual leave.

Then again, I think I'll stick with four blocks of four weeks leave with a two weeks on two weeks off rota in between, three days pay on top of my salary for every day extra I choose to do for the company, being allowed to play with big powerful engines and knowing that I have control of £30M worth of machinery (gives me a hard on that one).

Further to the first post that I quoted, who is it that's wound up again?

You seem pretty insecure. Does your brother make you feel inadequate? :(

Further to the first post that I quoted, who is it that's wound up again?

You seem pretty insecure. Does your brother make you feel inadequate? :(

No I do not feel inadequate, if I did I would probably go to university and "better myself". I am not insecure, just bored, it pleases me to come onto internet forums and deride the efforts of others who are making an attempt to better themselves at the expense of the tax payer.

As for what winds me up, it is the fact that I know many former university students who simply went into further education to avoid work for a few extra years. They studied subjects which have absolutely no relevance to the career path they chose and if they had applied themselves to their chosen vocation would have left the country with more money to spend on far more important resources. I believe that universities should be more responsible in the courses which they offer instead of allowing people to embark on a course of study which is of little use to anyone.

No I do not feel inadequate, if I did I would probably go to university and "better myself". I am not insecure, just bored, it pleases me to come onto internet forums and deride the efforts of others who are making an attempt to better themselves at the expense of the tax payer.

As for what winds me up, it is the fact that I know many former university students who simply went into further education to avoid work for a few extra years. They studied subjects which have absolutely no relevance to the career path they chose and if they had applied themselves to their chosen vocation would have left the country with more money to spend on far more important resources. I believe that universities should be more responsible in the courses which they offer instead of allowing people to embark on a course of study which is of little use to anyone.

Hmm, I can't argue with that.

• 1 month later...

So, Stirling finally goes back on Wednesday.

I'm not really looking forward to this semester much now that I've seen the work I've got to do. I'm looking forward to getting down to some Marketing but I've got Managing Organisations which seems to involve a lot of speaking/presenting, which I don't mind too much, but the tutorials seem to be split between a really good bloke, and an awful woman. I think I can guess which one I'll end up stuck with.

And a tourism lecture from 3 til 6 on a Friday. f**k that.

What I find slightly depressing about your posts is that you obviously really enjoy telling everyone about how happy you are and how good your life is.

That's about an inch short of the forced laughter and the tearstained note really. :(

We have been back for, I think, 5 weeks now at Glasgow:smartass

So far this has easily been the hardest semester of my four years at Uni, five different projects on the go, six different(and all very difficult) courses and having to apply for every Summer placement under the sun at the same time.

Got 3 A's for my exams before Christmas somehow though which was a nice treat!

Aye, seems like need to put in a bit of a shift this semester. Quite looking forward tae it though. Will be nice to get a bit of variation in life instead of coaching all the time.

Kev, looks like we're in the same seminar for public management and admin - nae the biggest of options for seminar times :lol:

Ah, so you don't get an...er..."Easter Vacation" (to be all-American about it)?

Appropriately enough, we're actually following the American system! But we get some time off, it varies. I think sometimes they give the students a week, others its just a few days. Theres generally assignments and stuff to work on during it though.