Who's Going To Uni?

From what I can gather, Glasgow has Saturday exams because otherwise the exam diet would go beyond 2 weeks, such as is the sheer volume of exams.

Edinburgh manage to fit its Semester 1 exams into 2 weeks OK... need a lend of our supercomputer :rolleyes: ?

You have semester 1 exams in First Year? :o

You poor people! The worst I had was class tests, which counted for bugger all because I'd already made the grade with the other coursework (the tests were considered part of the coursework as well).

All Semester 1 courses are examined late December at Edinburgh bar some Honours (carry over to May).

I've got an exam this Saturday morning, and then another one on Monday.

I'm pretty pissed off to be honest, for four of the past five semesters I've had exams on consecutive days, and this one I only have a day's gap. Meanwhile other folk I know get a week between all their exams. Pain in the arse.

At Edinburgh, the Semester 2 + Year-Long courses exam diet is 4 weeks (end April/start May), with an extra week on either end for compression, medical exams etc. My 4th year honours exams (in History & Politics) were Tuesday/Wednesday/Thursday of the first week :(. Crazy... F*cking supercomputer :angry::unsure::ph34r:...

Edited by HibeeJibee

You have semester 1 exams in First Year? :o

You poor people! The worst I had was class tests, which counted for bugger all because I'd already made the grade with the other coursework (the tests were considered part of the coursework as well).

Yeah, it's no fun. Apparently they used to have the Winter Diet after Christmas, but students wanted them out the way, so they started squashing them into December too. With Law the two main first year courses (Sources and Institutions of Scots Law and Principles of Property and Obligations) last the entire year as opposed to just a single semester, but they have several bits to them. SISL just has a test on Legal Systems which is open book and multi-choice to fulfil Law Society criteria, but POPO has exams in Property (which we had in October), Contract (the one on Monday), and then an essay and the final exam for Delict and Unjustified Enrichment (though I can't remember which way round those are). Politics is also two distinct modules (1A and 1B) so each is examined separately, and are taught in different semesters only.

Thankfully for Politics 1A I've already got an A5 in the bag for 30% and I should get a good grade for Tutorial contribution (worth 10%). It's 2 essays on the stuff I did at AH Modern Studies last year so I should do okay in that one. Contract is a mind-f**k and I'd frankly be delighted to walk away with a good B, and the Legal Systems test is hard to tell what to expect, but it's just a pass/fail so if I get 70% it's out the way and never considered again.

It seems it's only my college that doesn't have Y1, S1 exams (Art, Science and Engineering).

I can remember the 2nd year winter diet coming round, and I came to realise how lucky I was having to revise only for class tests :lol: But it was a great feeling after the last exam, knowing that Christmas was on its way and I didn't have to worry about anything else until the middle of January.

This year seems strange. It's the first time since...er...2003 I think that I've had to revise for absolutely nothing, yet I'm still at in academia.

Edited by The Master

On the point of saturday exams,

The Politics 1B exam in 2004 was on the day of the Scottish Cup Final at 2.30pm. If there has ever been a stupider time for an exam, i would like to hear it.

It was Celtic v Dunfermline, so i didn't really care, but still the point stands.

All Semester 1 courses are examined late December at Edinburgh bar some Honours (carry over to May).

That's not true. In second year we had 11 ordinary courses to get through so we got the required courses for diploma entry out the way before two years of honours. Because there were so many we had a few that we were only taught before Xmas but examined on in April.

:huh: presume 10 credits each (i.e. half-courses)? Either taught Week 1-5/Week 7-11; or at half intensity Week 1-11? I can appreciate why you'd hold some over, but this is a pretty unusual case IMO. Normally you do 3 courses a semester 20 credits each (course which runs year-long has 40 credits, 20 in each).

I was the EUSA Rep on the Timetable & Credits Synthesis board* ( :lol:8) ). What degree were you doing?

*in laymans terms, a committee which tried to standardise course structure/value to improve performance!!

Law, to tell you the truth I think the law school just make up their own rules (they are dicks).

In all honesty I have no idea how the "credit" system works, I just do what I'm told. Over first and second year some subjects were 10 credits, some 20, some 40. Some taught over one semester, some over two semesters and there wasn't really any difference in difficulty or workload (in fact, the one 40 credit course was by a country mile the easiest).

The Law school also ignore the EUSA guidelines regarding not teaching anything the week before exams. We were getting lectured on an examinable topic on the thursday with the exam on a

the saturday!

In all honesty, you are probably right in the sense that that's what should happen and the Law School are just a bit cunty.

we're actually in dispute with the Law School Council at the moment over various things

You have my sympathy, the girl I know on it is possibily the most annoying person in the history of the world. If you start arguing, please make it personal.

After your explanation of the credit system I think the law school probably just look at the amount of credits to be taught in a year and look at what they want to teach then give each subject arbitrary credits so when they are all combined they come to the desired total.

I've heard some other unis space the diploma subjects over 3 years, I used to think they were just making the degree easier but, more likely, they are playing by the rules (unlike some :angry: ).

I have a feeling he may be a little touchy tomorrow morning so you better be on your best behaviour.

If at all possible, call the hairy invigilator a racist ;)

:lol:

I know Kev probably won't read this before the exam, but PLEASE do this!

I didn't see him lol (I don't think). Must be another one he meant.

In other news you may have heard on the radio this morning of the power failure on the trainlines. All trains from Croy cancelled this morning. So there I am standing there an hour before the exam in a right pickle. I tried phoning the Uni to plead my case but there was no b*****d in the office till 9 o'clock. Thats a score for a taxi I will never see again. I just didn't want to risk it.

I didn't see him lol (I don't think). Must be another one he meant.

In other news you may have heard on the radio this morning of the power failure on the trainlines. All trains from Croy cancelled this morning. So there I am standing there an hour before the exam in a right pickle. I tried phoning the Uni to plead my case but there was no b*****d in the office till 9 o'clock. Thats a score for a taxi I will never see again. I just didn't want to risk it.

They wouldn't have given a flying duck anyway mate. Was that yer accounts exam? How did you find it?

I'm going the politics one later tonight, shouldn't be too much of a problem I don't think. :unsure:

Na, it wasn't too bad. Quite a lot of what author said whatever type questions came up that I needed to look up, but there were a few that I got after 2 seconds so it wasn't too bad. It's all down to the luck of what questions come up for you though.

Na, it wasn't too bad. Quite a lot of what author said whatever type questions came up that I needed to look up, but there were a few that I got after 2 seconds so it wasn't too bad. It's all down to the luck of what questions come up for you though.

Any idea when we go back after Christmaas/New Year?